I HATE the stock suspension

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So I am quickly realizing why I quickly changed out the stock suspension on my 13 Passat TDI.

But now that I am in a bone stock 2014, the stock suspension still sucks. It is too floaty. The front suspension really does feel like a boat on the open waters.

I am OK with the stock height, so I dont think I will be swapping the springs. I am looking at dampers, and from what I have read, the Koni FSD are supposed to be a really good setup.

They are compliant enough to be comfortable so I can drive my parents around, yet if I want to it can be sporty. Now I know its not going to handle like coilovers and I am OK with that.

So does anyone have any experience with the FSD's?

If I were able to get them brand new for $525 for all 4 pieces, is there any reason I should look at anything else?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
So I am quickly realizing why I quickly changed out the stock suspension on my 13 Passat TDI.

But now that I am in a bone stock 2014, the stock suspension still sucks. It is too floaty. The front suspension really does feel like a boat on the open waters.

I am OK with the stock height, so I don't think I will be swapping the springs. I am looking at dampers, and from what I have read, the Koni FSD are supposed to be a really good setup.

They are compliant enough to be comfortable so I can drive my parents around, yet if I want to it can be sporty. Now I know its not going to handle like coilovers and I am OK with that.

If I were able to get them brand new for $525 for all 4 pieces, is there any reason I should look at anything else?
At five and a quarter don't even hesitate. I hated the Buick ride of the Passat after driving a JSW for five years. I also changed the springs to H&R OE sport and I kinda regret the spring change as it lowered the car a bit and made entry and egress an issue. The ride from the FSD's is the way the Passat should have come from the factory. Not bone shattering stiff just very controlled and comfortable at all speeds. Do it. You won't regret the change from the floaty stock dampers

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Haven't had any reason to change out the suspension on the Passat yet, but about 3-4 years ago, we put FSDs on our '04 SAAB 9-5 wagon when the OEM suspension started to get "floaty" in the front end. Have been very pleased with the results.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
While it doesn't correct the floatyness, a rear swaybar still does wonders with steering feel and cornering. H&R 24mm on soft.

It pairs great with the SEL dampeners which I think it slightly different than S and SE.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
While it doesn't correct the floatyness, a rear swaybar still does wonders with steering feel and cornering. H&R 24mm on soft.

It pairs great with the SEL dampeners which I think it slightly different than S and SE.
Exactly the setup I have.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I just ran the VIN on my 2013 SEL and it had part number 561-413-031-L in front and 561-513-049-D in the rear.

I also ran the VIN on my 2014 SE, and it has part number 561-413-031-L in front and 561-513-049-D in the rear.

So some of the SE's DO have the same part number as the SEL's.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I hated it when it was brand new! Not like any other VW / Audi I've owned. H&R sport springs went on at 10k miles with the stock struts/shocks plus a set of 19" audi wheels. Amazing difference! Later I purchased a set of Koni Yellows with Audi TT mounts, but I never installed them (sold it back to VW). I left the springs on it since my stock rear springs ended up on an 08 Jetta and it wasn't worth the labor to pull them (or the tdiheater). After putting 30k miles (40k in total), the stock struts/shocks were getting a little bouncy, but it still rode better than stock.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I just ran the VIN on my 2013 SEL and it had part number 561-413-031-L in front and 561-513-049-D in the rear.

I also ran the VIN on my 2014 SE, and it has part number 561-413-031-L in front and 561-513-049-D in the rear.

For or '15 SEL, maybe they changed up springs, I see a slew listed front and rear.

Or maybe I've just noticed the 80K miles from our '12 SE compared to our NOS '15 that just rolled 11K.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I do not know why people complain about the suspension on a Passat. The car is built for highway travel and built to North American average drivers tastes or likes if you will.
It is a purpose built North America vehicle!
Just because some want to make a sports car out of a Passat does not make the stock suspension bad !!!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
With all due respect JP, I've ridden in Cadillacs, Lexuses, and Mercedes Benzes all arguably "built for highway travel and built to NA drivers tastes" and none of them have been as floaty as these Passats.

I'm not going to make a sports car out of the passat, but I do want it to be more stable.

Thank goodness we are allowed to have opinions for ourselves. So I can think the stock suspension sucks, and you can disagree.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^agree with this. However, I'm finding suspensions need to be regionally specific. The NMS Passat (2012 and 2014 SEL) suspension didn't bother me in the DC region, where roads are rather well maintained, especially in MD.

In the DFW region, with a multitude of concrete surfaces, AND enormous undulating waves in the concrete, the porpoising of the NMS Passat was awful. Tightening up the suspension would have been troublesome, because the expansion cracks are so uneven that the incessant "slap" is always jarring.

Compromise is frequently difficult to achieve...rather than compromise, I gave up, bought the Avalon...enjoying the smoother ride (but sometimes miss the handling)

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Bilstein HDs with rear H&R bar. You’ll spend a little more but like it.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
the Koni FSD are supposed to be a really good setup.
I wanna know where they are for 525, i saw them at tire rack for 590 and was ready to buy there.... planning on doing this after it warms up a little.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I do not know why people complain about the suspension on a Passat. The car is built for highway travel and built to North American average drivers tastes or likes if you will.
It is a purpose built North America vehicle!
Just because some want to make a sports car out of a Passat does not make the stock suspension bad !!!
I've had 32 VWs, 1 Audi and 1 Mercedes. I bought the Passat because it was the cheapest, best looking, best MPG way to get a TDI. The Americanizing of it was it's detractor. I undid as much of that as possible ASAP. It was still cheaper than buying a Jetta, even after fixing the suspension/wheels/tires/lighting...

The stock suspension was horrible!

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I live in areas where the roads have a lot of sunken holes and frost heaves- I do notice the wallowing, is the firmer suspension harsh at all? our roads have such sunken areas the front bumper sometimes drags at 55mph :eek:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I live in areas where the roads have a lot of sunken holes and frost heaves- I do notice the wallowing, is the firmer suspension harsh at all? our roads have such sunken areas the front bumper sometimes drags at 55mph :eek:
I recorded this in my Passat - it'll give you an idea of the roads around here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAON1pnMtvs

I had the stock 17" hankook tires on at this point. Not harsh at all. With the 19" wheels, it was a bit harsh on really bad roads with big potholes. I tried to leave the crappy wheels on until the potholes were patched.

I'm sure it would have ridden even better with upgraded struts/shocks.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I finally got the FSD's and an H&R 24mm rear swaybar installed last night.

It made a WORLD of difference.

Its not a sports car by ANY means, but now it doesnt feel like the S.S. Minnow either.

I would have to say it feels like a perfect blend of GLI or GTI handling and Audi comfort. It now has sport capabilities with freeway cruiser comfort and stability.

The nose porpoising is completely gone. If I go over a set of railroad tracks, I get one bounce and it is settled. When I travel on the freeway and hit multiple expansion joints, it sucks it up and settles down.

THIS is how I believe the comfort suspension should be. Not wallowing bobbing crap that was installed.

Could it be attributed to a difference of OE shocks with 60k miles on them and the replacement shocks being brand new? Maybe A little bit. But I remember even when I bought my 2013 brand new that I hated the stock suspension just as much.

I had a friend call me when he saw my thread and said "I saw your thread and I am interested in the outcome. I don't want to read the initial comparison because that will be new vs old. I want to see an updated in 10,000 or 20,000 miles."

So I will make sure to update the thread as time and miles rack up.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Good report. I had the same feeling for 40k and 60k in my 2012 and 2014 SELTDIs. I would have made the upgrade if I had kept the cars.
Curiously, the transition to the Avalon wasn't nearly as hard, after 100k miles in an "Amuhricanized" VW Passat. Now, at 52k miles on the Avalon, I'm finding ZERO aftermarket struts, except OEM KYB. KYB claims, in writing to me, that the OEM replacement strut is 10-15% more firm than those installed at the factory.

Yeah...sure...Of COURSE they'll feel "10-15%" more firm than the 50k-miles-worn struts they'll replace. I'm looking for 20% more firm compression, and 50% more firm rebound. It's the rebound that is too soft.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium

What do you use to get part numbers from VW VIN's?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I work at a Vw dealership in the parts dept. So I have full access to ETKA.

So I used the VIN from my 2013 SEL and compared it to the VIN from my 2014 SE.

Did you need help with something?

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I work at a Vw dealership in the parts dept. So I have full access to ETKA.

So I used the VIN from my 2013 SEL and compared it to the VIN from my 2014 SE.

Did you need help with something?
No. Just some websites for other makes providing full part numbers with schematics from VINs, but I never found a source like this for VW. Was thinking you were using one that I didn't know about for the general public. That's not the case.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Ahhh.

Yeah, There used to be a few sites that had the full parts catalog online.

But I havent seen anything that had the newer cars (post 2006).

Vw and Lex-Com were pretty quick to shut that down.

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
I have installed the FSD's and H&R rear sway on my 2015 Passat SEL and am loving it.
As a further upgrade, what should I look at in the way of springs? Mainly for a slight lowering of my ride. Looking for a still nice ride but perhaps a little more cornering ability.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Well, One issue you are going to run into is that the FSD's are not supposed to be used with any lowering springs. They are designed to work properly with stock springs. You could wear them out prematurely and the warranty would be void.

That being said, how much lowering are you looking for?

H&R sells a OE sport spring that gives you about .75" of lowering. And they sell a Sport spring which gives you about 1.5" of lowering.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I have installed the FSD's and H&R rear sway on my 2015 Passat SEL and am loving it.
As a further upgrade, what should I look at in the way of springs? Mainly for a slight lowering of my ride. Looking for a still nice ride but perhaps a little more cornering ability.
FYI I have installed FSD's and H&R OE Sports. This lowered the car .75" in the front and 1" in the rear the car appears to be level now not raised up in the rear. This set up has been on the car for about 20k. If as has been said " You could wear them out prematurely and the warranty would be void." is yet to be seen. The car rides very comfortably and responsive. If you were to file a warranty claim on the dampers how would Koni know what springs you used? There is a video on MyTurbodiesl that explains how to replace shocks, struts, springs and he is installing Shine lowering springs with Koni FSD's.

Last edited:

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
Springs

FYI I have installed FSD's and H&R OE Sports. This lowered the car .75" in the front and 1" in the rear the car appears to be level now not raised up in the rear. This set up has been on the car for about 20k. If as has been said " You could wear them out prematurely and the warranty would be void." is yet to be seen. The car rides very comfortably and responsive. If you were to file a warranty claim on the dampers how would Koni know what springs you used? There is a video on MyTurbodiesl that explains how to replace shocks, struts, springs and he is installing Shine lowering springs with Koni FSD's.

Thanks to both of you for answering my spring question.
So do the H&R OE lowering springs have the same ride as the stock springs?
With the 3/4 front and 1" rear spring did you have any issues with driveways, speed bumps, etc?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
T
That is really hard to say because the FSD dampers changed the ride significantly from stock
With the 3/4 front and 1" rear spring did you have any issues with driveways, speed bumps, etc?
I have not encountered any issues[/QUOTE]
My comments in red.

mejpassat

TDI
springs

T
That is really hard to say because the FSD dampers changed the ride significantly from stock
I have not encountered any issues[/QUOTE]
My comments in red.
Thank You for the information.