Ceramic Brakes for Q7 TDI

audia6s

TDI
Q7
Just wondering if anyone has ceramic brake pads/rotors on Q7 TDI? How long do they last and what's the good place to buy them? I dont have any experience with ceramic brakes but if they last longer, i would rather make that one time investment and not worry about brake pads and rotors. Thanks

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Ceramic brake pads are overall a great option. Initially ceramic pads were at a disadvantage in "bite" or "grab" vs traditional composition pads, but that has largely been wiped out in recent years. The market leader has been Akebono, who has GG rated friction material, the highest you want on a normal rotor. Akebono pads last a LONG time, dust very little, and stop extremely well. There are other (much) less expensive manufacturers today that have comparable performance without the markup.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
I put these ceramic pads on my wifes q7.

Definitely less dust. Worked fine on the rear. Put fronts on maybe 6 months ago.

Juries out as to whether I like them or not on her q7. Definitely way less dust than oem which is good since she never washes her vehicle, but initial bite is less than reassuring. Almost scary when wet.

http://abtbrakes.ca

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I have had the cheap rotors with ceramic pads for 3 winters on the rear and 1 winter on the front.

In the past with the cheap Napa rotors and soft pads corrosion destroyed the rotors and pads in 3 winters and i limped through the 4 th winter. I was really pissed. What was causing this. My local garage just shrugged and pointed out I had almost made to 100,000 kilometers. But my stock ones didn't have all the shuddering of braking on a completely distroyed surface along with loss of most of the braking.

This is when I went with ID parts brake kit with ceramics.
I have absolutely no corrosion on the wear surface of the rotor. The harder ceramics stand up to the initial rust I believe because it is a harder material and remates the surfaces without being sheared away by the rust.

That shearing on the softer pads allows more corrosion to develop because the pad has lost material and contact. The ceramics so far have not.

Last edited: