when to replace the clutch/flywheel?

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
I mean, I can still drive it, and it only slips a little under heavy acceleration, and very rarely do I let it slip while shifting normally.

however, its making this "empty pan" noise at idle, and I read somewhere that its the flywheel about to explode.

What would you suggest I do? let it go till I can't shift anymore, or replace it next month?

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
SoaceMunky said:
I mean, I can still drive it, and it only slips a little under heavy acceleration, and very rarely do I let it slip while shifting normally.

however, its making this "empty pan" noise at idle, and I read somewhere that its the flywheel about to explode.

What would you suggest I do? let it go till I can't shift anymore, or replace it next month?
Do a search on dual mass flywheel. I doubt you will have to ask anybody here what they think.

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
If you wait till you can't shift anymore, you might be buying a new tranny. When mine grenaded, it put a hole in the case and ruined the whole thing.

The noise could also be the throwout bearning. Does it go away when you put the clutch in?

Seems prudent to have it checked out.

Bob

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
bf1967 said:
If you wait till you can't shift anymore, you might be buying a new tranny. When mine grenaded, it put a hole in the case and ruined the whole thing.

The noise could also be the throwout bearning. Does it go away when you put the clutch in?

Seems prudent to have it checked out.

Bob
yes, it does go away. i'm assuming i might be missing a couple of teeth.

my thinking is that it hasn't been blowing in the last 100K, why would it blow up in the next 20-40?

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
steelmb said:
Do a search on dual mass flywheel. I doubt you will have to ask anybody here what they think.
when they first built the internet, it was marveled as the prototype of next generation of communication tools. in reality, if there is a twisted way of human thinking, its on the internet. if one were to build a universal search engine, and someone wanted to find something along the lines of men having sex with goats on fire at the edge of a cliff wearing funny hats, the search engine would ask to specify the type of goat.
moral of the story: don't believe everything on the internet.

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
SoaceMunky said:

my thinking is that it hasn't been blowing in the last 100K, why would it blow up in the next 20-40?
Give this guy his sign.

Duster408

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
bf1967 said:
Bob
SoaceMunky said:
I'll bet you'll have a hard time finding a replacement throwout bearing as I never seen one with teeth.