2004 Passat TDI Throttle Body?

jdshinn

I recently had the local VW Dealer recommend having the Throttle Body cleaned on my 2004 Passat TDI w 20K miles.

I didn't think a TDI has a throttle body nor could I find a part number for one. Does my car have a Throttle Body?

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that's a good one,

They are talking about getting the "coke" (carbon, soot, oily-tar mess) cleaned out of your intake.

see "Intake cleaning" (search for, or look in the maintenance section)

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Throttle body? YES and NO.

Normally the intake on a diesel is totally unthrottled and there is no "throttle body" or throttle plate. However the introduction of variable rate EGR in the PD TDI engines adds a small twist to things.

There is an electrically operated "throttle plate" that functions as the anti-shudder valve and it's part of the EGR valve assembly. Since this part is electrically operated on the PD engines, it supposedly can also partially close to help increase EGR rates under high-EGR operating conditions.

I don't know if the plate is commanded by the ECU to partially close under high-EGR conditions or if VW does anything at all with the plate beyond simply using it for the anti-shudder valve function.

As for "throttle body"...they are referring to the EGR valve assembly. I suspect the service writer didn't know what to call it and called it what it looks like on a gasser.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
jdshinn said:
I recently had the local VW Dealer recommend having the Throttle Body cleaned on my 2004 Passat TDI w 20K miles.
If he means the intake and EGR need to be cleaned... I'd be amazed if this was true with only 20k on the odometer. Unless you've been fueling with bunker oil instead of diesel.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"I don't know if the plate is commanded by the ECU to partially close under high-EGR conditions or if VW does anything at all with the plate beyond simply using it for the anti-shudder valve function."

It is. The PDs run a VERY aggressive EGR cycle, up to 35% of the inatke volume can be exhaust gasses, under light load operation. Besides gunking up the intke, soot is abrasive and probally contributes to added cylinder bore and ring wear.

I completely removed the throttle plate and blocked off the EGR pipe on my PD. A clean intake manifold is a happy intake manifold (and PD owner):)

--Nate