Flipped V6 passat trans into 1982.5 Tdi Vanagon

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
why would a ip not run backwards? yea.. i doubt it would suck fuel... but 1 is 1... custom lines (if needed) and cam... mod the sucky part of pump so a lift pump can fill it..

may have to goto a rover pump.. as electronics i doubt like ccw... but i see no "reason" a diesel cannot be made ccw
there are quite a few internal differences between a right hand pump and a left hand pump... camplate for one, and the timing piston goes the other way to advance/retard timing... internal vane lift and plunger may also be different ... but as Scott stated above the trans thrusts loads are reversed when winding gears backwards and on top of that you are now loading the coast side of the hypoids in drive forward mode ...

Just want to clarify this is not what the OP is doing, flipping the trans still spins it in it's engineered for rotation, my above post is in reference to running an engine and trans in reverse rotation from it's engineered for spin ;)

Last edited:

type11969

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Any updates? Curious how this is progressing, thinking about doing something similar in my 76 Westy - I have a grey market passat diesel trans slated for the build . ..

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
I wish I did. I completely abandoned all the initial ideas, and started a good old fashioned home made adapter plate. I found a nice 1/4" hunk of plate steel at the local scrap/recycle place and started to lay out the bolt patterns for both sides. And that's as far as I've got. Other projects have taken priority since I last updated this. I finished and delivered a tdi rabbit truck I made for a customer/friend. Fixed up a couple of other cars for people in my area. I bought a b5 Passat v6 with a broken motor, and swapped a good used v6 in there. It's been my car for a couple of weeks now and I like it ok. Only getting around 250 miles per tank is a bit of a shock after having tdi's for so long (my vanagon went further than that!). But it's smooth and quiet and doesn't smell bad.

Last week I taught myself how to hand draw architectural drawings (blueprints), and I'm designing a remodel/addition for my house (that was originally built in 1903!). This project has priority right now as I want to submit the drawings before the busy season starts in a few months. After the drawings are submitted I'll get back to the adapter plate. I'm hoping in 2 weeks, but don't count on it.

Thanks for the chance to check in and get this on the schedule again!

Andrew

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Ps. What's a "grey market" Passat diesel trans? Sounds like something I'd be interested in ;).