B5.5 Passat Wagon 4Motion and an ALH

hughc

TDI
2005 tdi passat
I own one of these rare 4Motion Passat wagons, 5-speed, 1.8T, cold weather package with cloth seats. I looked for three years before I found this one that has a slight nose bump, tossed timing belt and a few bent valves - $2500! I searched so long so as to build my dream TDI wagon. But a strange thing happened: I decided to fix the 1.8T and drive it while gathering the TDI parts. I then realized how much it was a cleaner burning, fun rpm monster that with a chip makes 220hp. And then I factored in the 50-cent fuel price difference and other TDI-related issues and realized how silly this costly project would be. The 1.9T gets 30 mpg when I keep my foot out of it, the TDI 4Motion would be lucky to break mid-upper 30's. I LOVE my TDIs, but this is staying 1.8T. Just my 2 cents. :)
I realize your post is at least one year old but I felt I should comment.

I also picked up a 2004 4 motion auto, real cheap ($600) that I thought I would have converted to a Tdi 5 manual. We got it running fairly cheaply and like you I decided it was quite a nice vehicle, and would be expensive to convert to Tdi 5 sp.
I like the fact that it's auto and often find it's more practical as a DD around town than my 2005 Tdi with 5sp manual.
It's a lovely snow car and it heats up quickly, so I'll keep it as is.
If I decide I still want a Tdi 4 motion (AWD) I'll make other arrangments.

But the 1.8T is thirsty, only downside.

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
Just now noticed this thread had more posts. Wonder why it didn't email me.

Anyways, I do like the 1.8t's, my brother has an A4 Quattro with one. I swapped a CR140 (CJAA) into my A6 with an 01E transmission and am nearing 20k on the swap. Couldn't be happier. Mileage is great and it was amazing on my steep, deep snow covered driveway. I'm not wholly against autos, but I simply couldn't enjoy one in my daily driver. Thanks for the input everyone!