MPG on Conversions

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Wow, that is pretty dramatic difference. Maybe a "superbird" style nosecone and pickup cap would help the rangers drag coefficient. Well maybe just the cap.
I tried a cap and it made no difference. I'm pretty sure the issue is the airflow getting under the truck. I've got an F150 air dam picked out just need to order one up and get it on there.

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Pickups in general just have bad aero, partly because of air going under the vehicle but also because of the fact that the frontal area of a pickup is very big (compared to most cars) and there isn't much you can do to get around that. Then you also add that most pickups have near vertical grills and steep windshields, just not a good aero combination.

This is the only place where El Caminos and Rancheros have regular pickups beat. Otherwise they're just ugly mash-ups of a car and a truck.

Jaysin

QuantumRallySport

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2
My ALH swapped mK2 Golf rally car gets 54mpg on highway cruising at between 75-85mph

Drove it really hard for a few hours in WV mountains and still got 36mpg

With VNT17/22, pp520, and suchwhats to go along with it all

alabama mike

TDI
1996 passat tdi
Well the deal fell thru on my falcon, so I'm still looking for something to swap my TDI into, I know going with an older car will loose the aerodynamics, so thats why I want something as light as possible. Plus I have a rather larger dog that goes with me everywhere I go, gotta make sure he has plenty of room as well, LOL

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
but weight has little effect vs wind... i can double my weight.. towing a car behind me... and milage has no change... used a tow bar on a overloaded mk1 jetta that kept me at 65mph max as any faster it got squirly.. too much crap in jetta.. while moving my life last year.. and trust me.. the kubvan was packed too..