Japanese Mini Truck build

Airbags or Coilovers???

• Total voters

FuelAddict

TDI
96 VW passat TDI (Donor Car)
Ok i bought a new battery for the car so i can finally start it up after installing the new parts. After installing the battery she fired up and ran great. I ended up registering it, getting a tag and putting insurance on it. I drove it around all weekend and was very impressed with the way it drove. The shifter was a little lose and will grind first gear if you're not careful but for 259,xxx mls it is expected. I installed a 1k pot to see what the "evry mod" was all about, pretty big gain in power for $5.

Tomorrow i plan to start removing the drivetrain. I will be back with updates.

Thanks for looking.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
I just got an interesting idea for 2wd. Other than unlocking the samurai hubs, could you fab up a drive line disconnect?

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
I could fab something but unlocking the hubs should suffice. I am itching to get this thing going :D
Should be awesome! It would just suck getting out to unlock the hubs constantly. If you get to that point you can figure it out then I guess. Maybe a 12v clutch or something? Push button 4x4 would be cool

FuelAddict

TDI
Let me liven this thread up. I have some pictures of one of the big steps of moving towards getting the motor transplanted.
First i labeled all plugs, hoses etc. before pulling the motor.

Heart removed

The carcass

FuelAddict

TDI
Test fit it in the mini truck and it fits great. I took a few measurements to get started on drawing the motor mounting brackets using Mercedes benz hydraulic mounts.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
This is pretty amazing. I'm in union park but work in winter park and would love to check this out sometime

FuelAddict

TDI
i finished drawing the left side motor bracket set up. I had to make the motor side bracket angle back 4'' to clear the sub frame plate on the frame. This made the bracket set up more complex but i got it done and it should be cut out by the end of the week.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
What's your plan for a bed? Stock bed? Looks really good so far, giving me some ideas

FuelAddict

TDI
What's your plan for a bed? Stock bed? Looks really good so far, giving me some ideas

I will be putting the stock bed back on as of right now. Likely to change to a custom bed though, time will tell :D . Thank you, I have been trying to do as much as i can with the little bits of time i get. I'm getting mud fever

FuelAddict

TDI
Quick update:

I am waiting on my buddy to cut my brackets out. They're laser has been down for a couple days.

Gavin

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
This build is so cool. Ive seen these mini trucks before and thought they were cool but this thread has now made me want one bad. Have you looked anymore into getting it licensed? I'm in Florida too and the info I found so far was that it would only be licensed for roads with speed limits of 35 and under.

Info from here.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/minitrucks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

FuelAddict

TDI
This build is so cool. Ive seen these mini trucks before and thought they were cool but this thread has now made me want one bad. Have you looked anymore into getting it licensed? I'm in Florida too and the info I found so far was that it would only be licensed for roads with speed limits of 35 and under.

Info from here.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/minitrucks

thank you. :D They are addicting. I have another one sitting in my shop also haha. I sometimes wonder if its a start of hoarding. I have found the same info of 35mph and under but have read about folks getting them registered without restrictions.

I have thought about applying for a custom vehicle registration due to the fact that this truck will be 80% custom by the time i am done. I have also contemplated using a suzuki samurai title and reg.

Gavin

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Where did you buy your 2 mini trucks from? And did you ever drive it with the original engine? If so what's the top speed?

FuelAddict

TDI
Where did you buy your 2 mini trucks from? And did you ever drive it with the original engine? If so what's the top speed?

I searched high and low in florida and Georgia on Craigslist. I originally was going to buy a running white Carry in ocala and sell the motor to the guy that owned this green one. Ended up the white one had bad rust on the frame and ended up buying this green one. The red Mini cab i have i got from north florida, another craigslist find.

I have yet to drive one with the original motor.

FuelAddict

TDI
Ok so i pulled all of the wiring harnesses out of the car and it is ready for the scrapper. I also got my brackets from the CNC laser. Now i need build the motor mount and get it welded onto the frame so i can design the other 2.

FuelAddict

TDI
I hope y'all had a good thanksgiving weekend. We went on vacation up north, first stop was Asheville, NC. We went on a "hop on & off" trolly tour around the city and were able to get off at 5 different stops they have to walk around. That was pretty cool to learn some history. then we went to Hendersonville, NC to visit friends that were also up from Florida visiting family. They took us to there house in the mountains, AMAZING. then we went to Chimney rock and walked around. I am ready to move!! We then headed to our last stop "work related" in Athens, GA were i picked up materials to bring home. All in all it was an amazing trip and we are already planning our next.

Stopped by SUMMIT in GA

Loading up roofing materials

FuelAddict

TDI
UPDATE:

- Ordered rear coilovers
- designed new brackets for the rear coil over set up
- ordered one 235/75r15 Kumho M/T to check fitment.
- I am going to rebuild all of the link bars with 1.5'' .250 wall DOM and change the lengths to get the right WB

I'll post some pictures soon