How to use a 7 Pin Westfalia Trailer wiring harness to wire up a US 7 way plug on you

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
're MK5 or 6 Golf or Sportwagen
A couple of years ago, I installed an Erich Jaeger brand European 7 pin trailer harness on my JSW. It worked well, but I didn’t know it wouldn’t accept NAR coding until after I installed it. Last summer, I toyed with the idea of using the Erich Jaeger wiring and changing the module to an OEM one (or a Westfalia since they use the same modules), but the costs of buying the connectors and module scared me away. Over the holidays, I was searching www.Amazon.de for a few books to read, when I noticed that I could buy a Westfalia 7 Pin for 40 Euros. I pounced. Right after I bought it, the price jumped to 168 euros!
With a recoded euro 7 pin, you can provide everything a US 7 way needs except the 12v accessory wire and the brake controller output. Since 7 pin and 13 kits use the exact same module, you can remove the rear fog output wire from the exit connector on the module (pin 2) and insert in pin 3, which will switch the output to reverse lights. The power for the brake controller and for the 12v accessory wire can be sourced from the cabin fuse block. The brake output wire, signal wire, and 12v accessory wire can be run to the trunk alongside the Westfalia harness. Here’s a step by step.
What you need:
1.A Westfalia 321 600 300 107 Trailer Harness. If you use a 13 pin, you can still follow the steps for the brake controller. You can ignore the 12v accessory steps. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0068MCVZ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[/IMG]
2. A VW repair wire 000 979 306 4.0mm wire. Much cheaper on eBay than at the dealer.
[/IMG]
3. A Euro 7 Pin trailer end connector. These are cheaper on Ebay, but here’s an example. https://smile.amazon.com/docooler-Trailer-Connector-Caravan-Plastic/dp/B00KGVIPKK/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1485311943&sr=8-30&keywords=7+pin+trailer+connector
4. A Brake controller. I’m using a Prodigy P2
5. Wire: 10 or 12 gauge wire for the brake output and 12v accessory wires (in two different colors. Blue and black make the most sense.) and one 16 or 18-gauge wire for the brake signal wire. These need to be just a little longer than the length of the entire Westfalia harness. Stretch it out somewhere and lay the wire down beside it to get the length. You don’t want them to be too short.
6. A US 7way Trailer plug and connector harness with bracket https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BGHV6Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
7. A de-pinning tool. This works, but it won’t impress you. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZOMMT6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
8. Two 20 Amp fuses
9. A soldering iron, solder, and heat shrink for the connections you won’t see when the panels go back in the interior
10. Two 10-12 gauge Posi-Lock fasteners for the brake controller output and the accessory wire in the spare tire well. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTADIOY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
11. A crimp on ring terminal for the Brake Controller ground wire.
Step 1: Switching the rear fog output on the Westfalia Module to reverse lamp.
Here’s the module’s wiring diagram. The guy who sent me this told me not to say where I got it. I’m not sure why Westfalia keeps it such a secret.
[/IMG]
To enable a reverse light output on a 7 pin, you have to run a wire from position 3 on the black exit connector on the module. The easiest way to do this is to remove the wire from position 2 on the exit connector and place it in position 3. Position 2 is the rear fog-light output. I wasn’t planning on having a rear fog-light, nor do I even have right headlight switch on my car to even turn one on, so I didn’t think twice about the change. 13 pin set ups already have the reverse light output coming out of position 3
Unlock the connector, insert the proper de-pinning tool, and using a smooth pair of needle nose pliers, push the wire in towards the plug, and then pull it swiftly out. Once out, put the wire in position three, lock the connector, and you’ll have reverse lights instead of a rear fog at the socket.
Step 2: Wire up the Westfalia Harness with its included instructions.
There are many threads on this and the instructions are very thorough. I did three things differently than the instructions:
1.The harness has three terminals that plug into the back of the fuse block once you’ve unlocked it. Two large terminals and one small. Install the large ones just like the instructions say. The instructions tell you to put the small terminal into fuse number 4. If there is a fuse already there, you’re supposed to de-pin the terminal, plug it into the new harness, and then insert the new terminal in its place. This lets the harness piggy back off the same fuse.
I tried to de-pin this terminal, while under the dash, and it wasn’t working. I looked at the fuse box, and noticed that the bar that powers location 4 also powers location 5 which was empty. Instead of using location 4 for my harness, I inserted the new terminal into location 5. I assume location 5 may be used on some models for something, but wasn’t on mine. I imagine Westfalia wants everyone to use the same location for troubleshooting purposes, in Europe…..
2. Instead of running the new harness and 7 pin socket outside of the car, assemble the euro socket (put the reverse light output into pin 2 on the 7 pin socket) and leave it in your spare tire well. You will connect the US 7way connector to it with a Euro 7 pin plug later.
3. Don’t put any of the interior back together yet. You still need access to everything for a while.
Step 3: Brake controller and 12v Accessory Wire.
1. Brake Controller. Take the Volkswagen repair wire and cut it in half, but not in the middle. Have one end about 1/3 longer than the other. Take the longer half and solder it onto the end of the Brake controller power wire on the brake controller harness. Don’t forget to slip the heat shrink onto the wire before you solder. Next solder one of the long 10 or 12-gauge wires to the brake controller output, and solder the long 16/18 wire to the red signal wire. Crimp a ring terminal onto the end of the white ground wire.
2. Solder the other end of the Volkswagen repair wire to the other long 10 or 12-gauge wire.
3. Run the wires alongside the Westfalia wiring harness you’ve already installed, starting with the terminals by the fuse box and all the way to the euro socket on the other end. These three wires will completely bypass the Westfalia CAN module. There is a chassis ground for the fuse block just under the hood release. Attach the brake controller ground here.
4. Decide which fuse locations you will use in the fuse box for your brake controller and your 12v accessory wire. Locations 32-36 in my car were empty and hot all the time. With the fuse box unlocked, insert the terminals on the ends of the repair wire into your desired location in the fuse box. You’ll be familiar with how this works after installing the Wesfalia terminals in fuse box positions 44 and 45.
I used location 36 for the 12v wire and 35 for my Brake controller. If all of your hot fuse locations are occupied (ie: you have a lot more options than I do), you can run hot wires to empty location in the fuse box, or bypass it altogether. I like using the fuse block because it’s a very clean install. Don’t insert the fuses in these locations yet!
5. Wire tie or tape everything into place, so that the panels can be reinstalled.
6. Mount your brake controller mounting bracket or sleeve at the bottom edge of your lower left dash panel.
7. Reinstall all the interior panels except the piece that covers the trunk latch in the very back, making sure your wring is out of the way. The harness for the brake controller can slip out between the under dash panel and the panel behind the hood release. Just make sure it has enough slack for you to be able to unplug your brake controller if needed.
Step 4: Recode your Module with VCDS
1. Go to the CAN gateway and add address 69: Trailer.
2. Open up the controller and us the long coding helper to change the coding from ROW to NAR. This will send the brake signal over the turn signal wires from the module. Even after coding, the pin six brake light wire will still output current when the brake pedal is pressed. You’ll use it in the next step.
Step 5: Getting all the wires in the trunk ready.
1. You’ll now have a completed euro socket, a brake controller wire, a 12v wire, and a brake signal wire in the back of your spare tire well. You can do two things with the signal wire. The first is to insert it into pin 6 of the Westfalia harness socket with the brake light output. The second is to insert it into pin 6 of the Euro 7 pin plug that you will plug into your new harness. Either way, you’ll send a signal to the controller
2.Take the US 7way harness, pull the grommet from the Westfalia kit over the end, and insert it from the outside into the spare tire well. (I was able to do this without removing the rear bumper cover. If you have a detachable Westfalia or Bosal hitch, this won’t even be a concern)
3. Take your 7way Connector and wire it to the 7 pin euro plug as follows
Pin 1—Red wire LT and Brake
Pin 4 – Green wire RT and Brake
Pin 5– Brown wire running lights
Pin 3—White wire ground
Pin 2— Yellow wire reverse lights
Pin 6—leave empty or insert brake signal wire from the brake controller if you didn’t put it in the socket.
Pin 7—leave empty
You will have a black wire and a blue wire on your 7way harness that are not connected to anything yet.
4. Plug the Euro plug into the euro socket.
[/IMG]
5. Use a Posi-lock to connect the brake controller wire running from under the dash to the blue wire on the US 7way harness. A Posi-lock makes it easy unhook if you need to for some reason.
6. Use a Posi-lock to connect the 12v accessory wire running from the fuse box to the black wire on the US 7 way harness. A Posi-lock makes it easy unhook if you need to for some reason.
7. Reinstall the last piece of interior trim.
[/IMG]
8. Run the other end of the US 7 way harness to wherever you want it. I have a fixed bosal hitch, so I drilled a hole in my lower valence and mounted it like so. The metal mounting bracket is on the inside of the valence to provide strength.
[/IMG]
8. Insert the proper fuses in your fuse block, and you are done. Here’s a pic of my Fuse box after the install.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I hope this will be helpful to a few people. Thanks to all the others, who have done Euro trailer wiring installs,because they've made my research worlds easier. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
On my Teknosha P3 the power is required to be on continuously and it need to be relicable, so I powered it directly from the battery.
I installed tow circuit breakers one for the brake controller and one for the power to the trailer. The trailer I ran through a cutout relay to keep from discharging the battery when the engine is off.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
The spot I chose in the fuse box is hot all the time and is connected directly to one of the wires that come directly of the fuse panel under the hood. The hot terminal from the battery feeds the "bar" (for lack of a better term) on the front of the under hood fuse block, a is a bigger gauge wire than I would have run from the battery to the controller. My brake controller is essentially powered off the battery. There may be a down side to using a fuse instead of a circuit breaker, but I'm not expecting any problems.

I'll defintley post here if I have any issues.

I probably won't be towing a camper, and may not be using the 12v line much at all, but agree that the cutout relay is a good idea.

Last edited:

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
I did 200 miles with my trailer this weekend, and my module didn't have any problem with the LED lights on my trailer at all. I had been a little worried as PFjones doesn't list the Westfalia wiring as compatible with LED lighting, and had read that some have had issues in the past.
I had read online that the newer OEM modules worked with LEDs. Westfalia uses the same modules, so I assume this is true. My module had a February, 2016 manufacturing date stamped on it.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I assume that the module you got was NAR programmable?
Unfortunately mine was a Euro that was not programmable

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
I made sure I bought a programmable one. I might not have changed my previous wiring, but I couldn't pass up the 40 Euro price I saw on Amazon.de. I ordered it and a book, and the shipping was just 17 Euro. If you have a Amazon account, your user name and password are the same, and it still knows your address and payment info if you log into another country's Amazon. Be that Amazon.de or Amazon.co.uk. Shipping prices are low because Amazon ships so much stuff here. It took about a week and a half to get my order.

The prices listed on Euro amazon pages include the VAT, which Amazon doesn't make you pay, so the prices are really 20% lower. Most day the prices are on par with PFJones, but every once and while they drop. The price for the same kit I bought is now 168 Euro.

Last edited:

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally installed my trailer brakes

I finally installed the brakes on my Aluma 548 today, so I was able to verify that everything works just as it should. The manual lever on the Prodigy P2 actuates the brakes great, and does so well enough that I can feel it slowing the car at slow speeds. When I push the brake, the accelerometer works, applying the trailer brakes proportionally the harder I brake.

I've heard of people having problems with the brake signal from the pedal switch:that it pulses, so it cuts out. There's several QandA's with Tiguans Touaregs on etrailer.com about the topic, where they discuss using some relay to fix the issue. I can attest that running the signal wire from the unused brake signal output (Pin 6 on the Euro socket) works great.

The Tiguan factory trailer control module is the same I've installed. I'm not sure if they already have a wire for the brake output, since it wouldn't go anywhere, but running a wire from pin 13 on the module exit connector to the brake controller would solve the problem.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Some of your pictures aren't showing up correctly, jedadiah (unless I actually click each one and open direct in photobucket, which is a PITA).

Anyways, just to confirm - once I buy this trailer harness, this will take the place of my trailer light converter, correct? Am I right to assume that one box gets mounted underneath the dash, and a harness then goes to the rear, where it connects to a euro connector (and then through a converter goes to my 4/7 pin US connector? I read your first post several times, but I just want to make sure I got it down right.

Lastly, the amazon link shows part number 321 600 300107, whereas your original post starts with 231. Was this just a typo? Lastly, any idea if any other modules should work with the 2010 JSW (before you sold yours back)?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
pictures are finally back
Thank you very much. I''m fixing to get the installed finally (PF Jones sent the wrong kit the first time around) tonight, although I misplaced my 13 pin to 7 pin converter, so I'll probably be using scotch-lock connectors from the 13 pin harness to my existing 7 pin harness.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Now I'm curious what y'all used for the tail lights. I used pin 5. What's weird is on my 10 foot trailer, I don't have any tail/marker lights. I was looking for broken wires/shorts, and actually did find some quick repairs to broken wires.

So, I connected it to the JSW. Nothing. Snipped the rear tail lights, and sometimes I get the front two LED marker lights and sometimes I don't. Voltage drops from about 11.8 down to around 3.2 when those are connected. My livestock trailer and tandem axle both work flawlessly on the same car - brakes and tail/marker.

Is the Westphalia maybe expecting more of a load, such as an incandescent light? The weird part is the other two trailers are also LED...

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI
It looks like I can follow these directions and skip the part about brake controller if I'm not going to install one?

I may run a 10gauge wire from front to back just in case I want to have a brake controller in the future.

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
So the 7 pin dedicated kit from PFjones for the 2012 JSW comes with a module that is NAR programmable or is it not?