Who else is keeping theirs?

DesertDave

TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagen, Sunroof, Grey
In light of yesterday's announcement that VW is giving up on diesel for the North American market, how does that change peoples' minds on whether to sell or not?

The way I see it, if there is still a market out there for used TDIs as their was when I sold my previous TDI in 2012, the lack of future new TDIs may drive up demand the the price of used ones. Do you think we could expect to sell our TDIs for more than what VW will be buying them back for?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
In light of yesterday's announcement that VW is giving up on diesel for the North American market, how does that change peoples' minds on whether to sell or not?

The way I see it, if there is still a market out there for used TDIs as their was when I sold my previous TDI in 2012, the lack of future new TDIs may drive up demand the the price of used ones. Do you think we could expect to sell our TDIs for more than what VW will be buying them back for?
That's a tough one. I'll likely still sell back to them since I'm looking at a mk7 GTI for a replacement. With my short commute (20 miles eachieve way) I'm not really doing diesel justice.

Right now I'm in a bit of a holding pattern to see how things are handled by vw buyback.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...

NIN846

TDI
2011 Reflex Silver 2dr Golf TDI, 1983 Rabbit Pickup Diesel
I'll be keeping my golf for years to come, they won't be getting it back from me as I will be opting out of the buyback and fix. I bought it new in April 2011 and the only problems that i've had was a faulty ox sensor and my driver side rear caliper started failing but both were covered under warranty. Thats it, still on my original battery, it can haul things that sedans can never dream of, gets fantastic fuel economy, looks good, drives nice, and has all the power you could ever need for any driving situation. There isn't any car in the golf's price range that I would ever consider buying. And before I forget....SCREW YOU EPA.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I have two JSWs 2009 and 2013.
I have been giving this a lot of thought since we are near retirement and want a new(er) car for that reason.
I also want to be able to tow a small travel trailer like e do with the JSWs.
We are looking at a Honda Odyssey for our main "travel" car since we will be closer to the grandchildren and need the space.
The thing I think we will do is have the 2009 (250,000) miles fixed and keep it (48K 4 year engine warranty). Take the $5100 and put it and the money from the 2013 towards the new car.
I think I will keep the 2009 since I have had it from new and "know" it.
With the warranty it may well serve better than an unknown used car for the "beater" in the family.
The 2013 buyback is a couple of grand more than what we paid for it used.
We have always liked the JSW and really don't see a car we like better, but needs change and we think the cars hit their peak value with the buyback.
Who knows what their value will be later.
The 2009 I plan to run until the 'Hook comes to get it.

spheniscus

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen tdi (6sp. man./platinum gray)
Have a 2011 Sportwagen with 106k miles on it, and keep flipping and flopping. Love the car but will probably take the buyback... just waiting to see details of the fix before I decide.
I take a lot of long trips with the car packed full of kayaking and camping gear. The relatively low roofline (compared to SUVs) makes it easy to cartop the kayaks and there is nothing out there that will gobble up the miles with the ease, efficiency and comfort for the money. Having to buy a new or newer replacement puts me back into a few years of payments and depreciation, and I figure the settlement payment will cover timing belt, brakes, and a host of other expenses over the next 100k+ miles. So I am strongly tempted to keep it.
However, I have not found a mechanic anywhere nearby (no gurus in SW CT vicinity) who I would trust with a timing belt job -- although the local dealer has done good reliable work, it charges a lot more than an independent shop. And who knows how VW's emissions fix will hold up over the next 5 years or so?
So all that might push me towards a new car, and a 1.8 Sportwagon would be top of the list, but I just noticed the VW site only shows SE and SEL models on the "Build Your Own" page for the 2017 year, which makes a replacement about $5K more than I had in mind. I'm not ready to buy a '16 now, and they may be gone by the time I am.
What to do? We'll see.

pcnorton

TDI
2011 JSW
So after keeping my 2011 after the HPFP went out at 24K miles and again at 46k, I tried some advice I got here drive more and worry less. Then the passenger side headlight stopped working. The connector corroded/self destructed, couldn't buy the connector had to replace the whole headlight , would have been $700 in parts plus labor, got one for $200 from a junkyard. Then The AC went, drove without it till summer and then paid $1000 for a pump and condensor.. Then the wiring in the driver door corroded and died giving air bag warning and other problems, another $300 for a jerry rig as it would cost over $700, Dealership was feeling bad and suggested the lesser repair. Recently, June, my wife waiting for picking up kids from school radio dies. Now Begining of August multiple light saying they are bad, bulbs good. SO we parked it. Just went out to start it battery (new) dead) 140K on the car. So now I'm wondering should I keep it? Are you freaking kidding me? Drive more worry less? I love Volkswagen, but not the modern ones. I'l keep my Vanagon (with a subaru engine..) I may get Another aircooled in my future, When they break I can fix and parts cheap. So I going to do the buy back. Get a restraining order to keep me away from the VW dealership.

I love all the Defenders of the Badge. I was one, I was defending VW. I bought the TDI even though I heard of the HPFP issues. I have a glove box full of diesel receipts (no Gas), just in case...twice. No it sits in the driveway waiting for buy back. no more money to be put in there. I swear no more VW's...unless they bring over the Scirrocco....no not even that...well maybe. God help me and my attachment to VW..

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I made my decision today after test driving a pure white 2017 gti sport w/6mt. Also tested the dsg, but that didn't stir my soul the way the manual did.

I know I said I was on the fence, but it was hard to walk away from the deal I got.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
I made my decision today after test driving a pure white 2017 gti sport w/6mt. Also tested the dsg, but that didn't stir my soul the way the manual did.

I know I said I was on the fence, but it was hard to walk away from the deal I got.
This is probably the only car that could get me to do the buyback. Or a Golf R. Hence why I haven't test driven a GTI yet (already drove the R and loved it but I really can't justify the premium for a lot of power that I can't use).

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
This is probably the only car that could get me to do the buyback. Or a Golf R. Hence why I haven't test driven a GTI yet (already drove the R and loved it but I really can't justify the premium for a lot of power that I can't use).
Even a used mk7 R is a good $9-11k more than the gti sport. The Sport also has the same wheels as the GTD. What sold me? The brakes and the electronic LSD that the performance package adds and lighting package added as well. No sunroof was actually a selling point for me. And the cloth tartan seats true to the gti roots. The Sport really is THE car that the gti should be.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I love all the Defenders of the Badge. I was one, I was defending VW. I bought the TDI even though I heard of the HPFP issues. I have a glove box full of diesel receipts (no Gas), just in case...twice. No it sits in the driveway waiting for buy back. no more money to be put in there. I swear no more VW's...unless they bring over the Scirrocco....no not even that...well maybe. God help me and my attachment to VW..
Lemons exist with any brand. I think with VW the odds of hitting a lemon are maybe higher than the Asian brands. So far my wife and I have owned 7 VWs, 5 TDIs and 2 gassers. I'd qualify two of them as lemons (99.5 ALH TDI, '11 Golf TDI), and the rest have been excellent, in spite of the balance shaft upgrade I did on the '05 Passat TDI. I did it proactively and VW chipped in for 3/4 of the cost. That car is still used by my son; it will be 12 next month, has nearly 300k km and still runs very well in spite of a losing battle against rust (so far: two front fenders replaced, two front doors replaced, rear passenger door replaced, trunk deck replaced twice, and rear quarter panels repaired once; now the left rear door needs replacement but VW won't touch it as it was repaired after an accident). My wife's '13 Golf TDI wagon has been excellent, just one suspension link replaced under warranty and the exhaust flap replaced under warranty. Oddly, exactly the same engine as my '11, and while my '11 gave repeated episodes of intercooler icing even with the TSB done, my wife's wagon has never hiccupped and it hasn't had the TSB done.

My new TSI (1 year old last month) has 24k km so far and has been trouble-free.

I'm still willing to take my chances with VW, I just like the way they drive. By far my worst luck has been with GMs. Owned 3 in the '80s, all 3 were lemons going from bad to worse. I don't care how much GM claims they've improved, I'll never touch one again, especially after poor treatment from the dealers and GM Canada.

adolenc

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
For all intents and purposes, mine has already been replaced. I picked up a 2016 MK7 Golf Sportwagen about a week and a half ago. There's so little out there that's a true station wagon, and nothing really drives like the VW. Yes, gas mileage won't be as good but at least initial results are not as terrible as I anticipated.

On my 2010 JSW, I'm looking at the 120K timing belt + DGS service and a HPFP warranty that runs out. That HPFP going gives me the heebie geebies and is one of the big reasons why I'm going to take the buyback. And the $$ spent on the timing belt & DSG service is something I'd never see back. So the TDI is sitting around a fair bit until the buybacks start.

I should start selling off bits n pieces. Anybody need the rear window / trunk sun shades? Drivers side curved mirror?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
What is the MTBF on the HPFP? How long is the warranty?
MTBF is spotty. Many are still rocking their original hpfp at 300k miles. Others have has 3 fail on then before hitting 100k miles.

Warranty is 120k miles. And you MUST have the misfueling guard installed. Multiple Volkswagen dealers have to knife warranty when the misfueling guard was not installed.

Pedman

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportvagen
I am keeping mine and taking the $5100 from VWofA.
Having no love for the FED EPA nor CARB, keeping the car until banned is my way of flipping them the bird. So far only one HPFP failure at 176K. I have been using Lucas since new and maybe has helped with adding lube to the crappy California fuel.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I am keeping mine and taking the $5100 from VWofA.
Having no love for the FED EPA nor CARB, keeping the car until banned is my way of flipping them the bird. So far only one HPFP failure at 176K. I have been using Lucas since new and maybe has helped with adding lube to the crappy California fuel.
I'd get a cp3 hpfp & timing belt cover to really make it last :D

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
If VW doesn't sell me a new TDI, I not going to turn it in. Anyway can't really find a car to replace the JSW with same mpg and cargo space.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got the cp3 installed (no issues with the OEM pump - just being proactive) and my DPF and EGR system have been "taken care of". But what's this timing belt cover you speak of?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello All,

It's sad to hear that VW is backing out of TDI market as announced on other post on this thread... I am keeping my TDI and she's still chugging at 230k miles on original HPFP, Turbo, shocks and brake rotors/pads. So I will order HPFP and Brakes asap then CR170 turbo then shocks probably at 300k.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Custom - Funky Green. 99 NB TDI, 06 Jetta TDI
They'd have to pry mine out of my cold, dead hands... nothing out there even close to the JSW. Space, fuel economy, nice quality feel. I love this car.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
This might be my route. And a Malone tune and Exhaust. All with the VW money.

I also have the possible option if purchasing my friends 2013 R with 16,000 miles on it (prob $25K or so), if I take the buyback. She just had a baby and may part with it.

In a way I am still undecided.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I just got the cp3 installed (no issues with the OEM pump - just being proactive) and my DPF and EGR system have been "taken care of". But what's this timing belt cover you speak of?
I'll paste here what I pmed you just so everyone else who hasn't heard about it can check it out:

2micron made it... it has saved a few folks from catastrophic damage.
More info here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=424899
You can buy it here:
http://www.fixmyvw.com/cr-tdi-timing-belt-protector-2micron-tools-billet-aluminum-cbea-cjaa/

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll paste here what I pmed you just so everyone else who hasn't heard about it can check it out:
2micron made it... it has saved a few folks from catastrophic damage.
More info here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=424899
You can buy it here:
http://www.fixmyvw.com/cr-tdi-timing-belt-protector-2micron-tools-billet-aluminum-cbea-cjaa/
Awesome thanks!! I'm going to have the S3 intercooler installed at GDM in the coming months. I'll probably have this installed too!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Awesome thanks!! I'm going to have the S3 intercooler installed at GDM in the coming months. I'll probably have this installed too!
Those would have been my next steps if I kept the tdi. That and a emissions compliant cr170 that kermatdi is working on.

Gary Barnhill

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE SR & Nav
Poll: If you're doing the Buyback, which is the most likely year you'll give the car

I can't find this poll although I voted a couple of days ago.

The poll asks: "If you're doing the Buyback, which is the most likely year you'll give the car back?"

Appreciate anyone helping me locate the poll.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
The timing cover is a really nice piece with great fit and finish. Simple install too. Just get the right one as there's two options. One that's just stock and one for Fluidampr.