2004 Jetta Wagon

MedicineMan

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI black
This is a 2004 Jetta Wagon.
Just noticed my mpg was low, last checked it was 39....
I traded a 2001 Jetta sedan which was getting 50.
This wagon has 20,000 miles on it.
Any clues as to why the mileage is low?

Also, and you can laugh because I dont know...the engine in the 2004 has already been supplanted in the 2005 year...was there something wrong with the engine in the 2004????
Thanks,
Robert

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
2004 should be the same engine as the 2005. It's simply a newer technology. No fuel injection pump...each injector has it's own presure chamber, etc.

Was your first car a 5-speed while the wagon is an automatic? The PDs tend to get slightly lower fuel economy, as they have 100 hp, and have a little more power loss to powering the injectors through the cam, rather than a seperate pump.

Do you have any members in your area (maybe you should fill that part in...you know...your profile)? Ask someone to check your engine timing. Not sure how to adjust timing on the PDs, but I am sure it can be done. Have you checked the air filter? The fuel filter? Tire pressure? Are the tires of different size? Rims of different size than stock?

There is a list of things which could be different. BTW, in the future, here are two things to keep in mind. Both your old car and your new car are of the A4 platform. This section is for the A3/B4 (the older Passats and Jettas). Second, there is actually a fuel economy section you can post in.