Show 'n' Shine results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Lug_Nut said:
DO NOT HASSLE THE JUDGES DURING JUDGING!
Absolutely the judges should only be interacting with the car itself when judging - I stayed by my car so I could watch them in action (wanted to be a "fly on the wall" and try to learn something). Honestly, I didn't learn anything really from watching them judge me.

Lug_Nut said:
Score sheets are sometimes available for view after the awards, and I agree with that practice, but these score sheets are not subject to editing, or re-count, or do-over. The results are final.
There's next show to make improvement.
At the risk of starting another spat in the thread, what do you mean by "you agree that sometimes score sheets are available after the awards"? And if they were, not only doesn't that do the folks who competed but couldn't stay for the actual presentation any good (such as myself), but was this mentioned anywhere? Either they're made available to the owners or they're not.

Just out of curiosity,

Lug_Nut said:
They are judges, not coaches.
This is a final exam, and you should have done your homework, not waited until you walked into the test site and asked the proctor for the answers.
You are competing against other exhibitors, ask THEM what they like or don't about your car. Don't trust the reply from the guy in your class? Ask someone from a different class. Ask a former judge if you know one.
So I'm supposed to come into my 1st or second S&S with a PhD in how to prep? I didn't see that in the brochure.

As I said before, I've done a grand total of two of these events in my lifetime. That being said, I still want to make a better effort next time, and part of doing that is getting feedback. Otherwise, you fall into the Einsteinian definition of insanity - "doing the same thing the same way over and over, each time expecting a different result".

Frankly, I'm starting to think that some folks are reacting to my request for my scoresheets like I'd said something inexplicably rude, and "if you don't know how to do a show-and-shine already, we're certainly not going to tell you because you should have".

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
tomo366 said:
The scoring sheets were destroyed after tabulation.......

The categories are Outside, Inside, Underneath,
Engine and Mileage, on a scale of 1-10
(Low mileage is low points High mileage high points)
Consider the categories ... there is no mystery here:

Outside - clean? Check.
Inside - Visible? Clean? Check.
Underneath - well, I never knew they looked underneath but OK - clean? Check.
Engine - Visible? Clean? Check.
Mileage - speaks for itself

Honestly, it's just all in the details. Details of the outside, inside, underneath and engine... clean...clean...CLEAN. Oh, and shiny helps, too.:)

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Rob Mayercik said:
So I'm supposed to come into my 1st or second S&S with a PhD in how to prep? I didn't see that in the brochure.

As I said before, I've done a grand total of two of these events in my lifetime. That being said, I still want to make a better effort next time, and part of doing that is getting feedback. Otherwise, you fall into the Einsteinian definition of insanity - "doing the same thing the same way over and over, each time expecting a different result".

Frankly, I'm starting to think that some folks are reacting to my request for my scoresheets like I'd said something inexplicably rude, and "if you don't know how to do a show-and-shine already, we're certainly not going to tell you because you should have".
Not to be rude,but fred posted the rules this year. If you didn't understand you should have asked fred, I did as I have in past before.
It's simple, The only trick is to clean it like it was new & have a car that you have taken care of. And a little wax does not hurt;) . Show and Shine a event same as any other car show but where mods don't count.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Rob Mayercik said:
At the risk of starting another spat in the thread, what do you mean by "you agree that sometimes score sheets are available after the awards"? And if they were, not only doesn't that do the folks who competed but couldn't stay for the actual presentation any good (such as myself), but was this mentioned anywhere? Either they're made available to the owners or they're not.
Oh, Please! What I wrote was:
Lug_Nut said:
Score sheets are sometimes available for view after the awards, and I agree with that practice,
Different shows have had different policies. Some of the shows in which I exhibited or judged posted the scoring sheets of the placing cars and, on request and with ID would provide the exhibitor with the score sheets for his or her car. Some show organizers chose to not make the scores available. I preferred the shows where my car's score could be reviewed for areas that I could improve. I stopped participating in the shows I didn't like.
Rob Mayercik said:

As I said before, I've done a grand total of two of these events in my lifetime. That being said, I still want to make a better effort next time, and part of doing that is getting feedback.
If you ask for advice, and advice is given, don't ask for the same advice again expecting a different answer. Here's my same answer:
"You are competing against other exhibitors, ask THEM what they like or don't about your car. Don't trust the reply from the guy in your class? Ask someone from a different class. Ask a former judge if you know one."
Ask again and I'll copy/paste it again.

but there's this:
Rob Mayercik said:
...not only doesn't that do the folks who competed but couldn't stay for the actual presentation any good (such as myself),...
If you want to beat the competition, you need to know who they are and what they do. How will you possibly learn the tips, tricks and techniques the trophy winners use to separate their entries from the "pint glass" masses, when you don't stay to learn who they are?

"Dead horse" is right, and believe me, it's not the horse's head.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Okay, I think everyone has had ample time to make their voices heard. :) See you at Show & Shine next year! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.