heater core

5DOTRZ

TDI
2006 Jetta
I believe that I have a heater core issue. This morning there was a smell of coolant and the front windshield seems to have a film on it. (yah!) How much of a job am I looking at here. I haven't done one in a VW (plenty in Fords over the years - I worked at a Ford dealer for 12 years). Just wondered how much of bugger it is going to be to pull dash.

Dave

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I think a member down here did one a couple years ago and said he'd burn the car before doing it again... I know from doing one on my old jetta that it wasn't a fun job, complete dash removal etc...

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
thats one job that i wont hesitate to pay a shop to do for me - for some, its more time consuming then a timing belt job!

its not hard to do its just very awkward cause of the confined space and trying to make sure not to break anything

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
It's not as hard as everyone claims... I followed the directions on the vortex.. just a few key things to be wary of..
One thing to note... there are particular years where refrigerant evacuation is unavoidable but in my 2000 tdi, the main "box" came out without needing A/C work done.

you have to umount the box from the firewall behind the insulation so, hopefully the thread aren't stripped. just get an electric screwdriver with a magnetic headed torx bit and you'll be fine... I took my time and did it over about 4-6 hr increments over two days..

Vw NewF

Veteran Member
TDI
Bagged And Big Turbo 04 PD, 04.:R32
thats one job that i wont hesitate to pay a shop to do for me - for some, its more time consuming then a timing belt job!

its not hard to do its just very awkward cause of the confined space and trying to make sure not to break anything
It's not as bad as some ppl think. I had my whole dash out of my car in 2.5hrs when i swapped my dash. And that was my first time doing a mk4 dash. Very simple actually, all the bolts are one size torx bit;) hardest part is getting the steering wheel airbag off. The clips can be a pain:(

And once you take the dash out the heater core is very easy to get out:D

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
It's not as bad as some ppl think. I had my whole dash out of my car in 2.5hrs when i swapped my dash. And that was my first time doing a mk4 dash. Very simple actually, all the bolts are one size torx bit;) hardest part is getting the steering wheel airbag off. The clips can be a pain:(

And once you take the dash out the heater core is very easy to get out:D
your the first person i call if/when mine goes :eek::p

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Taking a dash out and putting it back in isn't hard.

Taking a dash out and putting it back in without ANY rattles is. :D

Every car I've owned where someone else has taken the dash out/apart has had rattles. Take your time, don't break anything and route all the wires as original.

Vw NewF

Veteran Member
TDI
Bagged And Big Turbo 04 PD, 04.:R32
Taking a dash out and putting it back in isn't hard.

Every car I've owned where someone else has taken the dash out/apart has had rattles. Take your time, don't break anything and route all the wires as original.
I took my time purring in the new dash. Since I was wiring in my lite dash vents and cleaned up all my gauge, oem navi wiring and fis wiring:D

Silver Tdi was there when I was doing it and I was anal about fitment and squeaks lol. Took longer to test fit then it did to remove it :D

ramdmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
This is the main reason why I will burn the car on the next heater core.

If you're going to do it, make sure you buy an oem one from VW, they're like $25 more than aftermarket. And get yourself one of these will make this job so much faster and less frustrating.
Buy some foam tape weatherstrip to reseal the defroster vent if the original weatherstripping is deteriorated.
GL

Cosmic Green

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
I have a complete heaterbox with both cores, if you're interested. $100.
I thought I had a problem with my 99.5 so I bought the part, as I could smell hot antifreeze inside the car. Turns out the leak was under the hood instead.

5DOTRZ

TDI
2006 Jetta
I thank you all for your input. I purchased an aftermarket core for $75 from Industrial rad in North Bay ( the dealer was $250)
Started at 9:30 am stopped for some lunch for 15 or 20 min and was road testing around 5:45 pm. Wasn't too bad but no where near as easy as Windstar or Explorer. At least Ford has the dash as a unit support brace and all. you just undo a few balkhead connectors at firewall, lower steering column some trim pieces and remove 6 bolts and entire dash is out of vehicle. I can have a dash out of a Windstar in 20 min.

I didn't like the aftermarket heater core much (except for price) as it is less dense in fins and doesn't have the same heat output of the OEM core. Old core was leaking around the seal for the plastic tank.

Thanks again.