Heater core help

theice761

TDI
none
I was hoping that you guys could help me with a problem. I have a '98 jetta with the VR6 engine (unfortunatly) and I am trying to do anything I can to not replace the Heater core. I was wondering what sealent you would recomand to seal a small leak in the heater core.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
The sealants can plug up the coolant passages and cause engine overheating; the only real solution is to replace the heater core

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
if its leaking change it if you have weak heat check your aux. water pump. If its leaking one solution is to take your heater hoses and loop them togehter bypassing hte heater core. This will be ok until it gets cold out again. But then again maybe you coudl trade it in for a tdi by then ;)

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
theice761 said:
I wish I could but I'm a broke college student and can't really aford to do anything.
Lucky you! You've timed the seasons perfectly. Peform the VWoA-approved :rolleyes: "heater core bypass", long-favored by VW enthusiasts worldwide, and drive it this way until your windows start icing up. On the inside.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, bypassing it in the warmer weather is about all you can do. There are no 'cheap fixes' for this.

It is not a bad job to do, but pretty labor intensive. Dash needs to come out, HVAC case assembly then gets removed, which means refrigerant needs to be sucked out.