Gas quickly catching up to diesel price

Klystron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Driving around today I've noticed that gas is only about 5-8 cents cheaper than diesel. It looks like diesel will be cheaper than gas soon if gas keeps going up at the rate its been.

What about you guys are you seeing the same price spread in your area?

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
In the several years since I got my first diesel I've found that,in the warmer months,the diesel/gasoline ratio is more in favor of diesel than it is in winter.I'll wager that that has at least something to do with the price of home heating oil the price of which is highest,by far,in the colder months.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Today I saw a Shell station with the following:
Gasoline: $1.38 / L (87 AKI)
Diesel: $1.30 / L (price has been frozen at this price for about 2 months)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
At my local Sunoco RUG is $3.99, Premium is $4.25, and Diesel is $4.15. A few weeks ago diesel was $.30 higher than premium. May be because of the end of the oil heating season. Didn't we see diesel cheaper than RUG in '08?

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
At least in USA, premium gasoline is only a little bit more expansive than regular gasoline (87 AKI).

In Canada, premium gasoline (91 AKI) is super expensive compared to regular gasoline. Around now premium costs about $1.5 / L.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
Diesel is about 30 cents more than rug in NJ.

It's been higher ever since they came out with ULSD

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
.26 difference between regular and D2 at the Gulf I filled up at tonight. At the other end of my street, there's a 7-11 and regular was only .14 cheaper. Plus and premium were .05 and .15 more than D2. If regular ever goes past diesel here, I'll never hear a peep out of the guys at work. :D

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Didn't we see diesel cheaper than RUG in '08?
Not in 08. That was the summer of 4.05 RUG and 4.79 D2. At one point that year I filled up with a $1.00 spread.

Maybe in NJ, but there have been a few years with D2 under RUG in early spring and once during late summer since 2006 IIRC correctly without my chart infront of me.. the most ever was $0.17 in favor of D2. Most of the time just a few pennies...

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I noticed that too. I filled up in NH and diesel was more expensive than premium, but only by a couple cents. When I got home to CT, diesel was within a few pennies of mid-grade. Maybe I won't have to answer the question "Oh, you're paying so much for diesel, why would you buy one?" :)

Klystron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
That's about the only thing good about living in Texas seems to be the fuel prices compared to the rest of the states. Any time I get ticked at paying $3.89 for diesel I just look on Gasbuddy.com at what you guys in the east coast and Kalifornia are paying.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Today I saw a Shell station with the following:
Gasoline: $1.38 / L (87 AKI)
Diesel: $1.30 / L (price has been frozen at this price for about 2 months)
This was last week (23 Apr 2011) in Kingston.
Diesel has been cheaper than all grades of gasoline for several weeks now. In the past, usually only regular was cheaper, with mid-grade and premium the most expensive.

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Less demand for diesel at the moment. Gas prices are high due to most refineries being in shut down. Diesel demand is low due to flooding keeping the farmers from seeding. Makes a big difference.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Less demand for diesel at the moment. Gas prices are high due to most refineries being in shut down. Diesel demand is low due to flooding keeping the farmers from seeding. Makes a big difference.
A couple of questions based on the above:

1) What refineries in North America are currently closed that would result in shortages of gasoline, yet result in a surplus of diesel?

2) What portion do you believe farm diesel to be, relative to overall diesel consumption (on-road Class 8 trucks, trains, off-road construction, etc..)?

I would be willing to consider that the warming weather and reduced demand for home heating oil has a far greater moderating effect on diesel pricing than tractors staying out of the fields for a week or two.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf

and the diesel isn't coming off the refinery ? :rolleyes:

cookk

TDI
2011 Jetta
It varies a bit in Southern IL. I have seen diesel about $.15 higher to $.10 lower at a local Handee Mart. It seems to be coming in line with Reg.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Here: D2 is like $0.50+ MORE than regular in southern NY. Complete BS. :mad:

Go to Northern NJ and its only like a $0.20 difference.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
If gas prices exceed diesel I can't wait to see what it does to the value of our TDI's...literally I think I could sell my cars for at least 50% more for than I could have a 8 months ago. very tempting....I wish I had a crystal ball that could show me the future:D

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
Diesel price now in line with mid-grade gasoline at many Long Island stations.

At around $4.25 - $4.30 a gallon that's no bargain, but its good to see it's not going up as quickly as gasoline, at least not in the past few weeks.

jbleu101

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDi, GLS
RUG was 4.15 on Friday while Diesel was 4.17. Bout.damn.time. I bought my car in Oct. 2004 and diesel had been less than RUG for quite some time prior to that. By January of 2005 diesel became more expensive and I believe this is the closest the two have been since then. Interestingly, my car still achieves better total fuel economy than most gas cars up until about 2009 when several small POS honda's and Hyundai's were able to obtain 38 mpg, but they are not fun to drive, and they are gas engines without the longevity of the diesel. I still swear by my 2002ALH and it being a better, heavier more fun to drive car than all of the gas competition currently available.

markman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI w/DSG; White Gold,Cornsilk Build Date 03/11
Around here Diesel seems to have dropped a little to $3.95-$4.10/gallon while RUG is creeping up to $3.85 or so and mid-grade close to $4.00. Some stations are showing diesel below mid-grade. Looks like I picked the perfect time (at least for now) to buy a TDI :)

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
NC prices

Here in Raleigh, NC diesel is $3.95 to $4.07. RUG is now in the $3.78 - $3.89 range with Super/Premium at $3.99 - $4.12.

Not exactly jumping up and down. It would be nice to have diesel under $3.00/gal. Been too busy to follow world markets to see what is really going on with fuel/petroleum prices.

I do like seeing the newer VW TDI's on the road! :D

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I do like seeing the newer VW TDI's on the road! :D
Same here. It seems like they're multiplying around here in the metro Boston area. :cool:

In the south end of Nashua NH today by the NH/MA state line: RUG @ $3.929/USgallon, D2 @ $4.109/USgallon. I didn't see the MUG and PUG prices.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I saw diesel lower than RUG today. 4.19 for diesel, 4.25 for RUG. I didn't know what town I was going through... though it was south of Flint an hour or so.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Gee whiz, I was under the mistaken impression that prices were simply the result of rampant greed by the oil companies. I'm always impressed by how EVERY SINGLE oil supply 'crisis' results in new record profits for the oil companies. It a nice business when interruptions and cost increases in your supply, even imaginary ones, actually increase your profit rather than decrease it.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
Diesel is about 30 cents more than rug in NJ.

.18/gal difference in my neck of the woods currently. Even less if you compare the higher priced gas stations (that dont carry diesel) to the average D2 prices of other stations. But yeah, always seems to be .30 at any given time normally.