2010 Golf TDI first drive/impressions

Scenic Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I took the oil burner out for it's first drive once I scraped the ice from the windshield (snow tires/wheels are on the way).

I am very impressed so far with the whole package. It's amazing how quiet it is for a diesel. If I didn't know that it was a diesel, other than the low range of the tach and the feel from the clutch when starting from a stop, nothing while driving it really jumps out as me that it's not a gas car. It does have a nice, strong, unique sound to it though and alot of torque.

The power curve is extremely smooth, quite a few times I was surprised at my speed when I looked down. So far I have 3 issues though. The power steering has a bit too much assist for my taste especially on mountain roads, it is electric and I believe can be vag-commed. The second issue is with the amount of force needed to shift, I would prefer it to require a bit for force so a short shifter will need to be installed. The other issue is the placement of the gas pedal, it needs to be a bit lower and maybe come out a bit. I think if I add pedal covers and a heel rest will make it a bit better (the heel rest will protect the floor mat so it's a good thing anyway).

The interior is very nice and almost on par with Audi. The dash covering is the same or similar used on the TT dash (painted vinyl?) so it doesn't look like cheap plastic. The controls are layed out nice and they didn't go overboard with the use of the chrome surrounds and accents. The only place I could really see the difference between this and a compariable Audi, besides no pedal covers, is in the use of fabric instead of leather whicch I don't mind at all. The fabric isn't as high end as you would see in an Audi but it's still very nice considering the price of the car and I don't feel it needs anything better. I love the seats. The only place they lose points with me is that the color of the stitching on the steering wheel and shift boot isn't the same as on the seats. It would look alot classsier if they were all the color used on the seats.

I won't go into all of the features but I was impressed with how much it has. The car is well worth the cost. It's sad how many customers VW is going to lose because they're not making enough of them.

Touch screen, FTW

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Tornado Red
Congratulations. Totally confused as to what color I should get for my one. The black surely looks good on Golf. Decisions, decisions!! Enjoy :) Are you on vortex??

Scenic Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
lilredjetdiwagon said:
Congratulations. Totally confused as to what color I should get for my one. The black surely looks good on Golf. Decisions, decisions!! Enjoy :) Are you on vortex??
Thanks. I have a fondness for black cars, here's my other one

hammersc

TDI
Golf TDI soon
Great review and great pictures. Thank you for those. This car looks good in black.

NMRJock

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta DSG
I just bought the same car! 2-Dr, 3-Pedal, Cold Weather, Sunroof, and Bluetooth. I also got the mat kit, which we have and like in our '09 Jetta TDI.

RedSoxFan

TDI
2004 Duramax, 2009 Jetta TDI
Nice looking car - best of luck with it.

Were the photos taken in Bear Mountain State Park??

Scenic Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
RedSoxFan said:
Nice looking car - best of luck with it.

Were the photos taken in Bear Mountain State Park??
Thanks. The pictures were taken just north of the park on 9W and 218. Those roads are right near my house :)

Surly

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I drove a Golf TDI a couple of weeks ago, to tide myself over until mine shows up. Loved it, even though it was DSG. However, I agree that the steering was a bit light for my liking. Any means to adjust this?

zakurie

TDI
None YET
Surly said:
I drove a Golf TDI a couple of weeks ago, to tide myself over until mine shows up. Loved it, even though it was DSG. However, I agree that the steering was a bit light for my liking. Any means to adjust this?
As of now, the steering can not be adjusted. It is not an available option in VCDS v908.1. Hopefully Ross-Tech will be able to access it, but no guaranteed.

Surly

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Ross-Tech is really close to my place of work. I'm going to stop by sometime soon and put a bug in their ear about the steering.