OBD scanner for MAC ?

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
Is their vw obd scanner that will work with a mac or can any one point me to a good hand held ??

thanks

eliasg

TDI
2004 Sliver Golf GLS
I finally have had success running vag-com on my mac with version 512 and 10.4.4. This of course would depend upon you having virtualpc. I'm running it inside Windows XP on a 12" Powerbook(DVI).

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Yellow Beetle GLS
Just got my vag-com can usb yesterday and I have it running on my mac. I run a 12" powerbook with 10.4.4 and I also have Virtual PC 7.0 with Windows 98. The program runs just fine and my vag-com reads everything well. A couple times I had to select a button twice because it could not read the connection. A second click usually got good communication between the connector and the program. Remember it must pass through the mac then Virtual PC then Windows. But it does work well. As soon as I get another copy of Windows XP I will load it up on my PC Lap Top. It had a major HD crash so it's been just sitting. It is only for vag-com as I really do hate PC's. They do have good points but for what I usually do Mac is the only way to go. Anyway if you have a Mac get Virtual PC 7 and the most current operating system. I don't know if it will work with older systems but for sure get Virtual PC 7 or better. Run Windows XP if you can. Best yet is get a PC lap top for running it.

gottdi :D

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
I think I'll wait until someone gets windoze to boot on the new Intel macs. Until then I'll use my POS peecee laptop.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
new Intel macs
I'd love to give this a try but I won't be upgrading to an Intel Mac for some time. Since many peecee computers have the exact same chip I'd suspect that you could just partition your drive and do a direct install but then again it might have trouble talking with the monitor, keyboard and such. Should be an easy workaround. But I am sure it will be Windows ready before long.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
gottdi said:
I'd love to give this a try but I won't be upgrading to an Intel Mac for some time. Since many peecee computers have the exact same chip I'd suspect that you could just partition your drive and do a direct install but then again it might have trouble talking with the monitor, keyboard and such. Should be an easy workaround. But I am sure it will be Windows ready before long.

Gonna be a bit harder than that, seems the bios vs efi is going to be the hold-up.

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
I know this is a mac thread but I got it to work with Crossover Wine on linux. It drops out occasional but for reading codes, timing and adjustments it works ok. It just sucks for doing data logs. I'm still working fixing that.

I couldn't get it to work with my installation of VMware and XP Pro. I think it has to do with VMware and Powernowd deamon.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I know this is a mac thread
It started that way but what the heck, if you can get it running good on another platform other than windows is the ending theme here. Good to hear it works with Crossover Wine on Linux. I now have a good fast HP Pavillion laptop to try it with and see what the differences are compared to using it on my mac via virtual PC running windows 98. My HP is running XP Pro service pac 1. I don't have a battery so I must haul the extension cord out then fire it up. I will be testing both the mac and pc to see if they both run about the same. I'd like to get XP Pro onto my mac but don't have the original software disks. Only the back up disk. That's windows way to keep pirates from stealing the software. Unless of course you fork over loads of cash for a copy of the software. I have the original license.
Anyway it's good to hear other positive reports of getting this to run on Linux and such.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Nice to know there are several other MAC loyalists here. I find it interesting that MAC users like TDI's and vice versa. I too have PC but I don't care for them.

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
I have used both. I could careless either way. Besides I need windows to satisfy my addiction to Blue Screens. ME got me hooked and now I need them every once in a while. It adds a little spice!

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
NFSTDI said:
Nice to know there are several other MAC loyalists here. I find it interesting that MAC users like TDI's and vice versa. I too have PC but I don't care for them.
Interesting. I'm a Mac user too.Been using Macs for over 18 years and not a single virus attack. I'm going to give Virtual PC a try just as soon as I get VAG-Com.I avoided buying it because Macs are unsupported.If people here are having success using VAG/MAC,I might as well give it a go.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
dlai said:
Explorer or Firefox, that's the question...
Opera.

Anyway, I wonder how well the Darwine project is coming along. If VAG-COM runs under Wine, the goal of Darwine is to get anything that runs under Wine running on a PPC Mac - it integrates QEMU for x86 CPU emulation.

That said, I'm a PC user through and through. Although, that PalmOS scantool is VERY interesting... might get me to use my PDA more, if I were to get that.

MRIBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
None- Jetta-0 - Mexico 1
I hear the 10.4 or 10.5 Lepard is coming and word is that with the Intel chip you can drop almost any PC program in it and hasta la vista PC .

I am hearing it does not even need VPC.
SOOOOoo that would mean a new Intel mac and 10.5 lepard will be runiing VAGCOM.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I hear the 10.4 or 10.5 Lepard is coming and word is that with the Intel chip you can drop almost any PC program in it and hasta la vista PC .

I am hearing it does not even need VPC.
SOOOOoo that would mean a new Intel mac and 10.5 lepard will be runiing VAGCOM.
Yea! Baby. Apple makes its move against the gates empire. What a hard hit. Love it.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I highly doubt it.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, and I think he just got lucky on the whole Mactel thing.

He's, what, one for twenty zillion on predicting future trends?

FWIW, if Apple would for some reason go to Windows, why even bother making computers? The only reason a lot of people buy their hardware is Mac OS. If they switched to Windows, it'd be a bunch of stylish systems that are slightly overpriced that they'd be selling against bargain-basement Dells, in a market that doesn't care about quality.

Although, I do suspect that Apple COULD succeed as "the iPod company"...

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
why even bother making computers
Most folks buy gates ware because the generic bargan dells and such are the only thing that will run the programs so your stuck purchasing from the gates empire to run an application that was never ported to a mac. Mac users know that there are some good programs but they only run on gates ware. The other nice thing about the mac platform is it is so damn secure, not so with gates ware. It could be but is not and the gates empire won't fix it. If they fix it it will be a loss of funds. Don't let them fool you. You must purchase software to make it more secure and mac has not issues with viruses or adware. Makes you wonder about gates empire ethics.
maybe Apple had decided if you can't beat 'em, join 'em
It's not the first time Apple had an intel chip so it isnt a join 'em in any way. Apple is Apple and they are the best.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Hunh?

Unless you're counting the gigabit ethernet chip on the G4s, they've never had an Intel chip.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
bhtooefr said:
Hunh?
Unless you're counting the gigabit ethernet chip on the G4s, they've never had an Intel chip.
well, according to mactracker, the Performa 640CD, Performa 6100 series and the Powermac 6100 all had the option for intel processors. so this isn't the first time. :rolleyes:

gtveloce

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Silver 5dr Golf TDI 5spd (RIP)
bhtooefr said:
:rolleyes:
OK, I forgot about the DOS cards.
OrangePC card (??)!! I miss those, my dad's Performa has a 486DX card in it!! :eek: :eek:
I wasn't suprised when my first powermac 8100/110 broke, it was the IBM HD inside it :rolleyes:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yes.. said machines even said DOS on the front. The cards had a 486, Creative Soundblaster, and ATI video on them. They used a dongle to attach to the Mac's monitor.

-J

bradfa

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDIs anymore :(
So vagcom works with virtualpc. . . might have to pick up a copy and a vagcom. I didn't want to be the first to try it.

I've got a 15" powerbook 1.25GHz :)
Got it as a refurb with the superdrive for a nice price last summer. Other than one dead pixel (stays blue), works great! :D

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
bradfa said:
So vagcom works with virtualpc. . . might have to pick up a copy and a vagcom. I didn't want to be the first to try it.

I've got a 15" powerbook 1.25GHz :)
Got it as a refurb with the superdrive for a nice price last summer. Other than one dead pixel (stays blue), works great! :D
Question on the VirtualPC setup: what version of Windows are you using, and how much memory do you have? I might be interested in getting it. My PB has a 1.5 GHz G4 and 512 MB.

From what I understand, VPC 7 will not run on Intel Macs; it requires a 700 MHz G3, G4, or G5, 512 MB RAM,