Holset turbo setup 1.9 bew tdi

Faygo1.9

TDI
2005 golf gls 1.9 tdi
Hello little introduction, here is my 1.9 tdi I picked up stock for $1000 3 months ago I ended up getting a custom tune from Jeff and upgraded my injectors, pd 150 from Uk eBay for $150 shipped low mileage. I ended up snapping the exhaust wheel off the turbo rebuilt the engine bigger and better at that point why go stock turbo so I said go big or go home made my own oil lines with -4 an oil supply -10 oil drain. Originally went with a Holset h1c I was having issues with it I can’t get it to build more than 2 psi I believe it has plenty of fueling, that was on my stock turbo tune with pd150 injectors mapped in Jeff told me to do some data logs with that tune and the results weren’t that good only made 2 psi not sure what the issue was. So I ended up swapping it for a different Holset with a smaller exhaust side hx40. That seems to be doing better still waiting for a revised tune with maf delete and smart actuator delete. Not sure how much boost this setup is making but it definitely spools higher than the other turbo. Any suggestions? I’ve checked for exhaust leaks boost leaks, I put a restrictor in the oil feed.

Last picture was a 335d towing the golf back to my house 200 miles away after the turbo shaft snapped. Still got 35 mpg deleted and Malone tuned.

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Extremely incorrect turbo sizing so it will never spool as you want it to....

If going the Holset route a few options:

- HE211W-5cm
- HE200WG-5cm
- HE201W-4cm

Even the HX30W-6cm is too big to work on its own in a 1.9TDI (it will spool and give you OK numbers but it will be sluggish with poor driveability)

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
My BHW has a gt2052w and Super hx30w and is plenty for 100% firad's on a 300hp tune.

FRtdilover

TDI
2001 4motion ARL 150
My BHW has a gt2052w and Super hx30w and is plenty for 100% firad's on a 300hp tune.
Do you use exhaust bypass or maybe the gt20 turbine is big enough ?

Hx30w seems to be the LP I need for a +300hp build. He221w is a bit small and HY35 too big to pair with a gtd14. It would overspin IMO

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
HX30 6cm is very small for a LP turbine. Are you using the 12cm housing Andy2?

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
And gtd14 is very small for a HP turbine - unless rpm is limited to 4000 or so.

FRtdilover

TDI
2001 4motion ARL 150
I know it's a turbo engine but I can't stand driving a laggy car. FixUntilBroke runs a compound setup with gtc1444vz + he221w and honestly it looks awesome in terms of driveability. I've seen videos of his boost gauges, and it looks good!
I've been running several setups, my current setup is gtd1752vrk. It's a really nice piece but I want to go beyond 230hp and the gtd1446 from Volvo looks pretty good as HP for the use I need, correctly paires with the good LP it should make a nice setup. Even if I have a little bit less than 300hp it's alright. Street 300hp 4motion compound setup is what I'm planning to build.

I don't want to pollute this thread for sure. Just collecting info from guys running holset turbo :)

Last edited:

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
GTD14 is only useable in a sequential setup (full bypass of turbine and compressor once LP takes over)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
don't restrict oil feed, just run larger drain if you're getting oil out of the turbo

you'll probably want a nastier camshaft to spool up something like that as a single
you'll definitely need bigger nozzles than the stock pd150s to get enough fuel

I've been thinking lately about dropping the HP turbo from my compound setup and just running the he351wg as a single, might do it, might just leave it alone...

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
GTD14 is only useable in a sequential setup (full bypass of turbine and compressor once LP takes over)
iirc ruben was having troubles with his gt1444 HP. this was years ago though, wish more of you european guys would post up your interesting stuff here

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Do you use exhaust bypass or maybe the gt20 turbine is big enough ?

Hx30w seems to be the LP I need for a +300hp build. He221w is a bit small and HY35 too big to pair with a gtd14. It would overspin IMO

The gt2052w has an internal wastegate.I left the actuator at the factory setting.I have not measured the exhaust manifold pressure on the current setup however I feel that it is working very well.I also left the Super hx30 wastegate acutator setting alone.Very simple,reliable setup as I don't need to worry about vanes sticking issues related to vnt turbo's.

HX30 6cm is very small for a LP turbine. Are you using the 12cm housing Andy2?

I'm using the 6cm turbine (52mm turbine exducer I believe).Ultimately the gt20 with 39.9mm turbine exducer and internal wastegate will still become the bottleneck on the exhaust flow that is leaving the cylinder head.

Something I've learned about compounds/Staged setups is that they don't require a massive LP turbine if the HP turbine with or without internal wastegate is only able to flow so much while still keeping the HP turbine speed in check.

My drag car setup uses a 65mm turbine exducer on the HP turbine with internal wastegated housing and a 73mm exducer turbine wheel on the LP turbine.

Last edited: