1Z/AHU Oil pump replacement and windage tray

TDI-T

TDI
97 AHU
My engine has 168,000 miles on it. Original oil pump. I'm not doing a total rebuild, but I replaced my pan with another style to make it fit my conversion. A new pump came with, but I managed to screw up the threads that hold the pickup tube on the new pump (new tube is different to fit my new pan). I put the new pickup tube on the old pump that previously worked fine. Opinions on this?

Anyone use a windage tray on a 1Z/AHU? I don't really feel like spending the $$ for the tray since I already have a brand new rubber gasket, but I found a couple posts where people recommend them.

Does the rubber gasket oil pan seal need sealant?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I would have no problem running your original oil pump with the new pickup, 168k is not that many miles.

My B3V project AHU engine didn't get the windage tray but I did buy one from ECS tuning for the work I need to do on the 97 Mk3 this coming year because I was ordering other stuff and needed a little filler for free shipping. I don't think they're absolutely necessary, they were never specified for either 1Z or AHU by VW, it's just that someone figured out that the OBD1 ABA engine used them so why not use them on the TDI.

I don't use any additional rtv sealant when I install a rubber pan gasket although others might. I might have used a dab where the gasket transitions from the block to the front cover...don't remember.

STeve

TDI-T

TDI
97 AHU
Holy cow. Thanks for the quick response, Steve.

It seems I'm constantly being reminded how gentle I have to be with aluminum. I will try to watch my oil pressure when I get the engine installed just to be safe. I also thought of just putting the old oil pump bottom (that has the holes for the pickup tube) on the new pump.

Now if I can just find that last oil pan bolt.....

TDI-T

TDI
97 AHU
I should probably do the rear seal while I am at this.

Recommendations on best sealing? Teflon or old style? VW or aftermarket?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I should probably do the rear seal while I am at this.

Recommendations on best sealing? Teflon or old style? VW or aftermarket?
The seal carrier you have right now does not have a serviceable seal installed, at least mine didn't on the 98 AHU and I suspect that my 97 Mk3 doesn't have one either.

On my B3V I purchased the teflon seal that's installed dry and let set.

I could have gone the other route with the old school seal, I have a couple spare housings I could have used but in the end I opted to go with the teflon seal / housing. I think the one I bought was Corteco.

It would be ok to use your oil pump cover plate if it wasn't too warn on the surface, I think...

Steve

oil_me

Veteran Member
TDI
Black '99 Jetta, Glacier Blue Audi 80 Quattro TDI
I use a windage tray on the Audi/AHU. It's a longitudinal set-up with a 4 qt oil pan. I can think of no reason not to use one.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I use a windage tray on the Audi/AHU. It's a longitudinal set-up with a 4 qt oil pan. I can think of no reason not to use one.
I can think of two reasons why a person might not run one, 1) it wasn't specified by VW and 2) it's 3-4x the money of the gasket alone.

Steve

oil_me

Veteran Member
TDI
Black '99 Jetta, Glacier Blue Audi 80 Quattro TDI
It's not a luxury item. We add a lot of parts to our cars that didn't come with them but fit. Windage trays have a distinct purpose. I think it's worth every cent for what it does.:)

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
It's not a luxury item. We add a lot of parts to our cars that didn't come with them but fit. Windage trays have a distinct purpose. I think it's worth every cent for what it does.:)
I'm somewhat in agreement with you, it does have a purpose, but to me it is a luxury item when the specified alternative is a quarter of the money.

I've always put a lot of stock in the phrase, "a fool and his money are soon parted," because of things like this. The windage tray is not requisite, it's nice but I wouldn't say necessary.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I've always put a lot of stock in the phrase, "a fool and his money are soon parted," because of things like this. The windage tray is not requisite, it's nice but I wouldn't say necessary.

Says the guy with the 6 speed conversion, haha.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
For any kind of performance build (who doesn't want higher performance out of their tdi? ) do not forego the windage tray.
This is the conversion forum, there was never anything said in the preceding posts by the OP about performance or a performance build. I'm not sure more performance is his objective in this case.

Says the guy with the 6 speed conversion, haha.

-Todd
True, but throughout the years I've denied myself so much and since these are likely the last two cars I will ever own it doesn't seem too much of an extravagance to have something that for several years I really wanted...and budgeted for, and was actually convenient to do at this point in time on the conversion.

Steve

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
The factory Bocar Mk3 oil pumps tend to go a lot farther than 168k. Generally it's replace when needed; I get very few requests for them.

Windage trays I get more requests for, but most customers don't even know what they are...

-BB

TDI-T

TDI
97 AHU
Okay, I got one. Here is a pic:

My pan isn't stock so I still need to spin the engine over by hand to make sure nothing is hitting, but it seemed to install fine.

rotaecho

TDI
mTDI AHU in an 82 Vanagon Diesel & 86' 1.6na Golf (destined TDI)
I was told that the oil pan bolts need to be extended to install the windage tray. Anyone have experience to validate that? If so, what P/N bolt did you use for the pan?

Thanks!

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I have a brand new in package 1z/ahu windage tray I'll sell you cheap! PM me.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I reused the same ones and they fit just fine. Be very wary of the two near the rear main seal since they're threaded into aluminum and not steel. The like to strip when approaching the 15 ft-lbs.

I replaced my oil pump because the keyway at the top was worn down. It still worked fine and I'll rebuilt it at some point down the road. This is what 442,000 miles looks like on the factory pump.

And here is the new oil pump with a 144K mile vacuum pump.

Incidentally, I have always used the proper TDI oil and changed it at 8-14K mile intervals, and there was NO sludge or buildup in the engine or pan. It was as clean as a whistle at 442K miles.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
1Z TDI oil pump

Thanks Abacus. Those pics are really helpful. Not a lot of info posted on them. I'm replacing the pump on the 1Z Toyota.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
abacus, i can just about guarantee that's a misprint... seen erroneous info in bentley manuals before and i think this is one of em ... 6m bolts are not designed to go 15ftlb ... that is an 8m torque spec, hence why you were stripping em'

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Thanks Jim, I've seen a misprint or two myself in the Bentley now that you mention it. It never occurred to me they'd be incorrect. Just to be clear, I wasn't stripping the bolts, but the aluminum threads in the rear main Teflon seal from the oil pan bolts, the rest torqued to 15 ft-lbs with no problem. But, the water pump uses the same bolts and those are specified at 18 ft-lbs. Never had an issue with any of them.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Thanks Jim, I've seen a misprint or two myself in the Bentley now that you mention it. It never occurred to me they'd be incorrect. Just to be clear, I wasn't stripping the bolts, but the aluminum threads in the rear main Teflon seal from the oil pan bolts, the rest torqued to 15 ft-lbs with no problem. But, the water pump uses the same bolts and those are specified at 18 ft-lbs. Never had an issue with any of them.
i would hazard a guess and say the 8mm water pump bolts are 18 and the 6m are 7ftlb... you'd be lucky if the 6m @ 18ftlb are not necked down now from stretch... not saying that's not what the bentley states but i think it's incorrect ....most, if not all, charts list 6m as max 7 ftlb for a grade 8 bolt ... i'll try and check my old rabbit book tomorrow for info

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
ok, the rabbit book still lists oil pan bolts @ 15 ftlb ... but the 6m water pump bolts @ 10nm (around 7ft lb) ... i still think the 15 for 6m bolts is gross over torque, especially clamping a steel pan... i'll do some more checking

Last edited: