TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

austintg

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 Technik
Nice I have an r9t! How does yours pull? It looks comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
This is by far the nicest and most powerful motorcycle I've ever ridden. 60mph comes up in just over 4 seconds and it pulls hard all the way to the limiter of 139:D Hopefully I'll be able to keep this bike until I can't ride anymore (or one of it's successors in 10yrs)
Nice I have an r9t! How does yours pull? It looks comfortable.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Since the unknown of the future of the wife's '11 JSW been looking at options for replacing. She likes the Q7 but I'm not liking the low MPG #'s. I'm liking the BMW diesel wagons,also like the 5 series as well. But she feels like she needs the cargo space of the wagon. How are some of u longer term owners of the BMW wagons liking them? I was just trying to stay away from owning something that needs the DEF,hence why we bought '11 JSW. Thanks for any info.
Bump it up!!!

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Since the unknown of the future of the wife's '11 JSW been looking at options for replacing. She likes the Q7 but I'm not liking the low MPG #'s. I'm liking the BMW diesel wagons,also like the 5 series as well. But she feels like she needs the cargo space of the wagon. How are some of u longer term owners of the BMW wagons liking them? I was just trying to stay away from owning something that needs the DEF,hence why we bought '11 JSW. Thanks for any info.
Why shy away from anything that needs DEF?? :confused:

Given a choice between the Lean NOx Trap (LNT) system which the JSW TDI uses and SCR systems which require DEF, I'll take SCR and use DEF any day over LNT. I've owned diesel vehicles with both types. BMW actually uses both types together (LNT + SCR). That's probably how the (E70) BMW X5 35d was the one car that "performed as expected" in the ICCT and WVU studies which blew the whistle on VW's cheating. BMW did it right. :cool:

I'll take the SCR system w/DEF over LNT because:
  1. SCR overall works better than LNT.
  2. The whole process happens post-combustion which means you don't take a hit in MPGs like you do with LNT. This is how the Passat TDI gets about 10 MPG better than the JSW does. (Low 50's in the Passat vs. low 40s in the JSW.) Anybody who has done a tune and delete in their JSW typically sees about a 10 MPG improvement in FE.
  3. The DPF in an SCR system is less restrictive than what LNT systems use because less EGR is required which means less PM produced. A little more engine-out NOx is allowed because it will be taken care of by the SCR system. An LNT system which the JSW TDI uses requires more EGR (2 of them!) and the greater PM produced requires a more restrictive DPF. And then there's the DPF regen issues associated with LNT.
  4. DEF is around $4/US gallon and you can easily fill the DEF tank yourself, like adding windshield washer fluid. One filling of DEF lasts about one oil change interval (10k miles), slightly more or less depending on how you drive. DEF consumption is about 1-3% of fuel consumption. The industry average (mostly trucks) is around 3%. My 2012 X5 35d holds 5.95 gallons of DEF and one filling lasts around 15k miles.
  5. Overall, it's more economical with the SCR system and using DEF compared to the MPG hit and DPF regen issues with LNT system. With SCR, yes there's another fluid involved (DEF) and yes there's a cost associated with it but overall it's more economical to use compared to LNT.
  6. The car won't run without DEF and it begins warning of an impending no-start below 1k miles before it runs out. It nags you with "xxx miles until no-start" beginning at 999 miles. At 200 miles the warnings become more dire. IIRC, if it actually runs out while driving, the car will stay running but will not allow another start until DEF is added. With a 1k mile heads up about running out of DEF, that gives more than enough time and opportunity to take care of it. The low DEF warning automatically resets itself after adding DEF.
  7. DEF is available everywhere including your local Walmart* store. Just about every gas station and local auto parts store has it. DEF is made to an ISO standard and used worldwide and is a commodity item. DEF is 32.5% Urea and 67.5% de-ionized water. Don't worry about brands and where to get it because it's all the same. DEF is DEF is DEF is DEF etc.

Given a choice between LNT and SCR, I'll take SCR and use DEF.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Halcyon22

TDI
mk4 jetta
Heres the gang!

seems like the m5 gets more love, just replaced the aux fan the other night.

Last edited:

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
This is a great thread. I'm a former owner of a 2003 Jetta TDI, currently in a 2010 Jetta TDI and I'm not a big fan of it. So, as I look into my next diesel I am very much thinking of going the pre-owned BMW route. I'm disappointed in the lack of manual transmission offerings but I can live without it...

n1das

TDI
This is a great thread. I'm a former owner of a 2003 Jetta TDI, currently in a 2010 Jetta TDI and I'm not a big fan of it. So, as I look into my next diesel I am very much thinking of going the pre-owned BMW route. I'm disappointed in the lack of manual transmission offerings but I can live without it...
I'm a diehard manual tranny guy too but I've found the ZF 8-speed auto in my 535d to be one automatic transmission that I really DO like. I drive in SPORT mode a lot. I will always take a manual transmission if it's available but if it comes down to having to choose between a diesel auto or a gasser manual, I'll take the diesel automatic. A gasser anything is not an option at all.

I've found a diesel with an auto actually does well because the auto wants to get to high gear as early as possible and that happens to be a good match for the diesel because of its torque characteristics. I've driven both the 535d (mine) and a 535i gasser (loaner car) on a mix of city and highway routes that I'm very familiar with so I was able to put each through their paces. With the 535i gasser, I found the slightest application of power almost always required a downshift whereas the 535d didn't need to downshift and simply drove the diesel's torque. When pushed, the 535i always required two downshifts and 4000+ RPMs whereas the 535d usually required only a single downshift. The 535i basically needed 4000+ RPM to do anything at all when driven spiritedly. When pushed to WOT, the 535i needed 5000+ RPM and up to 6500 RPM before each shift. I was simply letting the auto do its thing. I tested both COMFORT (startup default) and SPORT modes in both cars.

Overall the 535i was all over the place regarding what gear it wanted to be in to get the job done. The 535d by comparison was a lot more civilized and was overall better at holding the correct gear and simply taking advantage of the diesel's superior torque characteristics.

The 535i and 535d have similar 0-60 times and similar 1/4 mile time and speeds but these stats matter only when you're racing. How power is delivered and therefore how the two cars drive are very different. I never bought a diesel car to win drag races but I do like to drive spiritedly. I'm actually more concerned about overall driveability under conditions encountered in normal everyday driving situations where you do most of your driving and NOT racing. While both cars got the job done, the 535i gasser was overall a lot busier in the process. The 535d gets my vote for overall driveability. The 535d's better fuel economy under these conditions is a no-brainer.

Last edited:

akohekohe

TDI
BMW 2016 328d xDrive Sports Wagon (on order)
Update

Well, I'm the former owner of a Golf 2002 TDI and am currently driving a Nissan Leaf which is a perfectly nice car for O'ahu where I'm now living. However, I'm moving to New Hampshire soon and wanted a Diesel Hatchback with AWD that is not a SUV. Seems the BMW 328d xdrive Sport Wagon is the only car currently out there that fits this description. I'm negotiating with some dealers on the mainland now. I was looking at an Audi A7 but with all the problems with VW-Audi I figured the BMW is a better choice. The A7, while technically a hatchback is not really, what I had in mind (the test drive was fun though). I'm going to custom order it pretty much fully loaded. I just couldn't resist the Sports Package with the adaptive suspension. I'll post a picture when I get it.
Well, I have ordered the car and am scheduled to pick it up at the BMW performance center in Spartanburg on July 1. The car is currently in the port of Charleston awaiting transport to Spartanburg (nice how BMW lets you track the car). I hear the performance center delivery is a lot of fun. You get to tour the factory, the museum, and learn to performance drive on the track (not using your new car, they provide a similarly outfitted car for this. BMW tells me my demo car will be a diesel). BMW also gives you three free meals and a night at a hotel.

I managed to get it for $500 over dealer invoice plus a $299 document fee and $20 fee for the temporary tag. It really helped that I had a large number of dealerships to choose from on account of the Performance Center Delivery. I am registering it in NH which is almost ridiculously inexpensive - $79.20 covers the title, first year registration, the plate and the sales tax (which is zero in NH). So my total cost comes to a little over $57,000. More than a VW for sure but I'm retiring and need to start spending the money I saved for retirement! :D

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
That's some good info I appreciate the analysis. And the 535d is a very sexy car. I like the X5 and can get into a higher mileage one for around $20k but to get into a 535d I'm looking at $35-40k. I can live without a stick shift for a while. It'll give me an excuse to shop for another vehicle! :) Diesel of course!

n1das

TDI
Well, I have ordered the car and am scheduled to pick it up at the BMW performance center in Spartanburg on July 1.
Congrats! July 1 marks 3 years since I ordered my 535d. :cool:

My order went in on July 1, 2013, a little over 24 hours after the 535d and 328d models first appeared on BMW's website (www.bmwusa.com). I was watching and waiting to pounce on a 535d. Given the "customer sold" status on the order, it got bumped ahead of other cars in the normal build schedule and the build started the next day. After about 2 weeks the car was built and was going through all of its quality checks. Then it left the factory and went to the port where it sat for a week or two while waiting to be loaded onto the container ship for the journey across the pond. It arrived at the port in NJ on 8/9/13. BMW waisted no time in getting up to my dealer in NH. I took delivery on Wednesday 8/14/2013. This was about 2 weeks before TDIfest 2013 at Sunday River Ski Area in Maine that year.

My 535d was among the first batch of them delivered to customers in the USA. It is the first one registered in NH. My dealer was only allocated ONE of these at the time and it's MINE!!

I was thinking what should my 535d's official date of birth be?? :) It was "conceived" on July 1 when my order went into the system. The car's "gestation period" was about a month and a half while it "grew" inside BMW's womb. It was carried to term and delivered to me on 8/14/13. I'm calling 8/14/13 as my 535d's DOB. :)

Last edited:

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I am going to look at a 2012 X5 35d, any advise on what to look for? I've seen the carfax report, and it is coming off a lease, with only 22K on it. It does not have NAV or backup camera, but I have a GPS, and got along fine without a backup camera for years, so that is not a deal breaker. Are there any trouble spot to pay attention to? n1das, where do you go for maintenance?

n1das

TDI
I am going to look at a 2012 X5 35d, any advise on what to look for? I've seen the carfax report, and it is coming off a lease, with only 22K on it. It does not have NAV or backup camera, but I have a GPS, and got along fine without a backup camera for years, so that is not a deal breaker. Are there any trouble spot to pay attention to? n1das, where do you go for maintenance?
I go to Tulley BMW in Nashua NH. They are only 3 miles from home so it's very convenient. They have done all the free maintenance on the 535d. I have DIY'd all oil and filter changes on the X5 35d. I have let Tulley's handle the fuel filter on the X5 35d but I may DIY next time. It needs software to run the in-tank pump to prime the new fuel filter and purge the system of air before starting the engine. The process is similar to a FF change on a CR TDI except the BMW FF is harder to get to and is underneath the car. I may DIY next time around.

Oil changes are identical to a TDI oil change except the OF is different and the engine holds 8L of oil (IIRC, or is it 7.6L?). I do my oil changes topside with an extractor pump just like I've done with my TDIs. The oil filter is the same type as on TDIs but slightly different. The filter housing sits vertically like in a TDI. The oil spec to look for is BMW Longlife-04 (LL04). Any 5W-30 synthetic oil having VW 507.00 approval for CR TDIs will also have LL04 on it. LL04 also allows a few others that are equivalent to VW 505.01 and MB229.51 specs.

Gasser BMWs no longer have a dipstick and rely on an electronic oil level sensor. The diesel BMWs have a traditional dipstick in addition to the electronic level sensor. The oil level sensor is a simple oil level low/OK/too high indication. Some of the gasser engines can do an active oil level measurement and display the exact level on the info screen.

Oil consumption from my experience has been negligible. I've checked it about every 1k miles or so and it's always stayed full. Don't worry about adding oil between 11k mile changes, just change it when due.

So far my BMWs have required LESS maintenance overall compared to my TDIs and they have been bulletproof reliable too.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I guess I'm a recent member of this secret society. I have an X3d, which has the 2L TD. In Europe you can get the X3 with the 3L TD - that must be a beast! I have found the 2L TD to be plenty peppy around town, but doesn't have much left for passing at highway speeds. Not bad, though, and better than my 2010 Jetta TDI had. Mpgs are running in the mid 30s, which is great. My Q5 has the 3L TDI and has gobs of torque. I'm glad to have both vehicles, as they both have their own finer qualities. I notice that the oil for the X3 is supposed to be the LL04, 0W-30 synthetic, whereas the 507 is 5W-30. I'd imagine the 507 could reasonably be used in the X3.

n1das

TDI
I guess I'm a recent member of this secret society. I have an X3d, which has the 2L TD. In Europe you can get the X3 with the 3L TD - that must be a beast! I have found the 2L TD to be plenty peppy around town, but doesn't have much left for passing at highway speeds. Not bad, though, and better than my 2010 Jetta TDI had. Mpgs are running in the mid 30s, which is great. My Q5 has the 3L TDI and has gobs of torque. I'm glad to have both vehicles, as they both have their own finer qualities. I notice that the oil for the X3 is supposed to be the LL04, 0W-30 synthetic, whereas the 507 is 5W-30. I'd imagine the 507 could reasonably be used in the X3.
LL04 oil is available in 0W-30, 5W-30, and 5W-40. Dunno about 0W-40. A 5W-30 507.00 oil should be fine for your X3 28d since all 507.00 oils are LL04 oils. IIRC, 507.00 has a more stringent requirement for low-SAPS than LL04 has. I figure I can't go wrong if the LL04 oil I use is a known good 507.00 oil.

My X5 35d calls out 5W-30 and that's what I use. I use Pentosin Super Performance III 5W-30 oil. It is a 507.00 and LL04 oil plus others.
http://www.idparts.com/pentosin-super-performance-iii-5w30-liter-50700-22951-ll-04-p-2097.html

IIRC, LL04 viscosity falls on the xW-30 and xW-40 boundary, similar to VW 505.01. Many 505.01 oils are also LL04 oils. 0W-30 called out for your X3 28d might be for better FE if nothing else.

Good luck and congrats on your X3 28d purchase. :cool:

Last edited:

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Thanks. I'm pleased with my decision to get the X3d. It's very enjoyable to drive - nimble, comfortable and getting good mpgs. It's nice to have a 2 L and a 3 L TD to switch back and forth driving. Hopefully, they'll be as trouble free as yours.

austintg

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 Technik
Thanks. I'm pleased with my decision to get the X3d. It's very enjoyable to drive - nimble, comfortable and getting good mpgs. It's nice to have a 2 L and a 3 L TD to switch back and forth driving. Hopefully, they'll be as trouble free as yours.

Why do you have 2? Do you and a family member trade off?

n1das

TDI
Be careful when defrosting the windshield in the dead of winter. The def has no temp control and blows full HOT air on the windshield. You have fan speed control but no temp control. Turning the fan speed down only makes the air come out hotter due to the reduced airflow. Weird. I heard MB also does that with their HVAC setup.

My 535d windshield took a rock hit and made a small crack over one of the def vents....worst place to get a crack. The crack spread across the entire windshield when I was driving in the bitter cold and forgot about the def being on. I recently had the windshield replaced and covered by insurance. Best to use the def sparingly and set the HVAC controls to warm the rest of the car up.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

austintg

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 Technik
Be careful when defrosting the windshield in the dead of winter. The def has no temp control and blows full HOT air on the windshield. You have fan speed control but no temp control. Turning the fan speed down only makes the air come out hotter due to the reduced airflow. Weird. I heard MB also does that with their HVAC setup.

My 535d windshield took a rock hit and made a small crack over one of the def vents....worst place to get a crack. The crack spread across the entire windshield when I was driving in the bitter cold and forgot about the def being on. I recently had the windshield replaced and covered by insurance. Best to use the def sparingly and set the HVAC controls to warm the rest of the car up.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

What??? I've never had any car that blew full hot out of the defrost setting. Not cool, the more I hear about BMW and Mercedes the more glad I am I can't afford them haha.

n1das

TDI
What??? I've never had any car that blew full hot out of the defrost setting. Not cool, the more I hear about BMW and Mercedes the more glad I am I can't afford them haha.
It's true. Both of my BMWs are set up that way. The defroster blows full hot air only. You have manual fan speed control but no temp control, only full hot air. I heard MB does the same thing. I don't know why they set it up that way. My guess is it may have something to do with how the rest of the HVAC system was designed and might have been an afterthought.

It's OK following a cold start and during the first few minutes of driving. Just don't forget to shut it off as the car comes up to temp! :eek:

My 535d's windshield took a rock hit some time ago and made a small horizontal crack about 1/2 inch long, one that could easily be repaired. Unfortunately it was down near the bottom of the windshield and right above one of the def vents. That's about the worst possible place to have a small crack. During the last cold snap we had up here in the Boston area, I came out of work at night and had to use the defroster at the start of my ride home. Well, I forgot about it while on the road and the def was cranking out the heat. After about 15 minutes I heard and felt a loud KER-CRACK(!) :eek: sound as the small 1/2 inch crack became a 12 inch crack. :( Two days later the crack was all the way across the windshield. :mad:

My BMW dealer (Tulley BMW in Nashua NH) handled the windshield replacement per BMW's recommendation. Only OEM glass and other materials were used. The replacement covered replacing the rain sensor and calibrating the camera system afterwards. Not just any glass installer can do this. My dealer uses a preferred installer that only does BMW windshields and to BMW's standards for workmanship. It was the best way to guarantee the job was done right. The total cost was around $1431. I have a $100 deductible on my insurance and the replacement was fully covered less my deductible. Some states require a windshield replacement to be 100% covered but my state (NH) is not one of them so I had to pay the deductible.

All good as new now.

Last edited:

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I'm in the club now with my first BMW. 2011 X5 35D. Picked it up in St. Louis this weekend. This is going to replace my wife's '06 Touareg I have been disappointed with. I am tall and have no problem with Passats, Jettas, and especially the Beeltes, but I always crank my head into the side of the roof when entering the T'reg.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I'd like to apply for membership.
My wife and I just bought a 2009 335D with NAV, and paddle shifters. Prior owner had installed coilovers too. It has 124,100 miles. We'll take delivery tonight.
Here are dealer photos:

My first priorities are:
  1. Find a good exclusionary warranty--anyone know what a good one is for the 335D?
  2. Install a 2-way, long range remote start. Recommendations?
  3. Install water injection.
  4. Ditch the run flats by probably swapping to 18" 5-spoke M-type rims
  5. Add 13-18mm to ride height.
  6. Chiptune-- I'm thinking maxchip (read about it from here)

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
I'd like to apply for membership.
My wife and I just bought a 2009 335D with NAV, and paddle shifters. Prior owner had installed coilovers too. It has 124,100 miles. We'll take delivery tonight.
Here are dealer photos:

My first priorities are:
  1. Find a good exclusionary warranty--anyone know what a good one is for the 335D?
  2. Install a 2-way, long range remote start. Recommendations?
  3. Install water injection.
  4. Ditch the run flats by probably swapping to 18" 5-spoke M-type rims
  5. Add 13-18mm to ride height.
  6. Chiptune-- I'm thinking maxchip (read about it from here)
Great to have you in the "society"

1. My research and experience with aftermarket warranties reveals they are big money makers and not worth the trouble.
2. Please let us know if you find a good remote start - a great thing in very warm/humid climates
3. Don't know if this would help too much, but mods are not my thing.
4. Michelin Pilot Super Sports (including the ones specifically made for BMW's - if you ask) are highly regarded non-RFT's. Mine are a bit twitchy on flat highways since they are "right there" with any steering input and hold the road quite well. Pricing seems not too far from other 18 inch choices in my experience.
5. Ride height matters - my OEM sport suspension is barely enough to clear driveways.
6. Not the one most 335d owners have experience with. There are usually used JBD's for sale on BMW diesel forums.

TM

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Thanks Tin Man.

I'm out of state on business and haven't even been able to ride in it or see it in person yet, and I won't until Labor Day weekend :( By my wife's and mechanic's reports, it's super strong.

Yes, I bought it sight-unseen on her's' and the mechanic's' evaluations alone.