Blower motor not working while engine on

fireman0977

TDI
06 Jetta
So the blower motor in my wifes car will not turn on at any speed you set the fan on while the motor is running. The car has the automatic climate control in it.

Ive pulled the blower out numerous times. The resistor or voltage regulator or whatever the dam thing is that has the cooling fins on it on the blower motor will just sit there and click. I have taken it apart and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

The capacitors in it just click. Anyone else had this problem?? I tried a new blower motor and it does the same thing. So I know for a fact it is not that.

The car is an 06 jetta TDI forget which option package

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I never heard a capacitor click. It sounds like you have a floating ground somewhere. It could be anywhere, however most common are the connections on the underside of the engine bay fuse box and chassis ground terminals under the battery. And while you're at it check to see if and fuse terminals are loose.

fireman0977

TDI
06 Jetta
Yeah I haven't either, but I hooked it all up and turned it on without the covers on and felt around trying to find the clicking and sure as hell it was the 2 little capacitors in the resistor that's attached to the blower motor.

Its a hell of a deal, I am trying to find someone with the same blower to try it out and see for sure if its the resistor part or not.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Yeah I haven't either, but I hooked it all up and turned it on without the covers on and felt around trying to find the clicking and sure as hell it was the 2 little capacitors in the resistor that's attached to the blower motor.

Its a hell of a deal, I am trying to find someone with the same blower to try it out and see for sure if its the resistor part or not.

I wonder if what you have is a relay that would normally provide power to the blower motor, that is not not functioning.

fireman0977

TDI
06 Jetta
I suppose it could be a relay, I haven't been able to find out exactly what it is. Its an 06 Jetta with the climatronic(?) HVAC controls. I guess that is how you would put it.

If you want it to keep a certain temp it does. But there is something connected to the blower motor on this that is held with 2 screws and looks like heat sink that gets the blower putting air on it while turning.

Not sure how else to describe it.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
there is something connected to the blower motor on this that is held with 2 screws and looks like heat sink that gets the blower putting air on it while turning.

Sounds like it may be a resistor pack that controls the cabin fan speed.

speed control transistorised gubbins, if it's Climatronic. (DPM) Could well be. If so you can ignore my advice as I don't know much about those systems.

Last edited:

fireman0977

TDI
06 Jetta
Speed control ()&#%@)(, and yeah its climatronic as far as I know. I wish this was an easy fix and it might be but I need to find one of these just to make sure its that which is messing up.