Motor Mounts?

wilharper2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 GTD 80HP (SB), 2001 Audi A6 115PD TDI (AJM), Polo 1.4TDI (AMF)
The mark 2 golf 1.6idi I have has a strange problem when taking up gear relatively abruptly. Say I was changing from first to second I bring the clutch up relatively quickly and accelerate I get a sort of bump almost as if I was driving over a small hole.
This happens also if drving in third gear and I lift my foot off the accelerator, and then put my foot back down on it. There are 2 sort of bumps.
The car does not make a clunk and it does not happen when shifting down.

The engine does have vibration that goes into the dash, however after a good run this is minimal. When cold it is quite bad.

Does this sound like engine mounts? If so how long could I run the car like this if I drove it without being abrupt with the clutch.
I leave for a 4000 mile trip in less than two weeks, which will involve driving in hilly and bumpy areas. trouble is christmas is in the way and I am working.
Thanks

DERV-NERD

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT PD130
First thing to try is jacking both front road wheels up and see if there is any play in the wishbone bushes or the balljoint or any movement at all really.

The bottom arm/wishbone bushes can cause engine/gearbox mount type knocking.

wilharper2000

Veteran Member
TDI
There isn't really any knocking. its more of a bump. I have looked at the bushes and they seem to be ok. I'm assuming this would be picked up in an MOT which it had recently.

melanie

TDI
passat
I think derv-nerd was reffering to the doughnut type bush on the wishbone. They don't knock as such with them being rubber. I have a mark 1 that needs them fitting all the time. something about me getting too close to kerbs. And I'm not talking about Kerb-crawling. ;)

DERV-NERD

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT PD130
wilharper2000 said:
There isn't really any knocking. its more of a bump. I have looked at the bushes and they seem to be ok.
Have you tried rocking the engine back and forth with the clutch? Handbrake on while an assistant watches how much movement there is in the engine mounts.

wilharper2000 said:
I'm assuming this would be picked up in an MOT which it had recently.
It would if the tester was doing his job correctly.

Last edited:

wilharper2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes have done the clutch thing. If I really rev it and let of the clutch quite quickely then the engine sort of goes back quickly and then goes to its original position.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
IIRC the A2 cars had a different type of motor mount on the front of the car that would break where it bolted to the engine and allow the engine to rock back towards the fire wall making the noise like you are talking about. Open the hood put the E> brake on and gently let the clutch out and see how far the engine rocks back, it should only move a little bit if it move several inches the mount may be bad.