red flashing wrench in instrument panel

Steve-O ©

TDI
2006 Jetta
on my package 1 '06 jetta, i have a red flashing wrench that shows up for about 5 -10 seconds or so after starting the car... i searched here for "Red flashing wrench" and came up empty, and it is not anywhere in the manual... is this just something that lights up for a bit and turns off - kind of a "it's supposed to do that" type of thing? or is it telling me something? like, do i need to service the vehicle? i'm hitting 19K miles and am about to do the 20K mile service on the vehicle.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
that would be your service reminder. make sure you're going to the dealer for the properly scheduled maintenance, which is every 10k miles for oil changes. some dealers want you in there every 5k; more money for them. better yet, do your own oil changes with the PROPER 505.01 oil and filter (can get the whole package for under $50) and be sure it's being done right, every time. look around here for the procedure to reset the service indicator, once you've taken care of it. good luck.

Steve-O ©

TDI
2006 Jetta
andreigbs said:
that would be your service reminder. make sure you're going to the dealer for the properly scheduled maintenance, which is every 10k miles for oil changes. some dealers want you in there every 5k; more money for them. better yet, do your own oil changes with the PROPER 505.01 oil and filter (can get the whole package for under $50) and be sure it's being done right, every time. look around here for the procedure to reset the service indicator, once you've taken care of it. good luck.
yeah, we had free oil changes for a year through our dealer - we got 2 out of that deal.... last one was about 6300 miles ago.... i will be doing the oil change myself, and i found the thread on that, and another on the fuel filter with great pics and very helpful links and such...

however, there seems to be a lotta confusion (opinions mostly) on what brand of oil to use... looks like i'm going with Castrol Syntec (505.01 approved as noted on the back of the bottle) because i cannot find a mobil 1 oil that is 505.01.... i bought the rhino ramps, which fit perfectly under the car... oh, but i never did see anything about the red wrench and how to turn that off....

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
try www.worldimpex.com and/or www.tdiparts.com
these are two of my favorite vendors for parts and lubes.

as long as you use a 505.01 oil you will be OK as far as engine warranty is involved. of course, if you're in it for the long haul with this TDI, you also want the best oil available. the best oil is defined differently depending who you ask, but i'm leaning on 100% synthetic and in a 5w40 rating, which leads me to either Motul Specific or Elf DID, the new formula is supposed to be full-syn. the Castrol is a blend, from what i gathered here.

also remember, "recommended for..." is not the same as "approved for..." don't get lost in that game.

i remember there was a post awhile ago regarding resetting the service indicator light; there is a procedure for it, i'll try to dig it up. also, if you're considering doing your maintenance yourself (as most owners should, IMO) get the Bentley manual for your car. It's a $70 well-spent.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
andreigbs said:

i remember there was a post awhile ago regarding resetting the service indicator light; there is a procedure for it, i'll try to dig it up. also, if you're considering doing your maintenance yourself (as most owners should, IMO) get the Bentley manual for your car. It's a $70 well-spent.
- Push and hold the odometer reset button
- Turn ignition on (but do NOT start engine)
- The message "service now" (full display) or a solid wrench? (half display) will be on solid
- release odometer reset button
- press the minute button and release
- the "service now" or wrench message should now go out.

I takes a little timing to do this without reseting the trip odo or changing the clock. It now takes me less than a second to do.

Jason

Steve-O ©

TDI
2006 Jetta
andreigbs said:

as long as you use a 505.01 oil you will be OK as far as engine warranty is involved. of course, if you're in it for the long haul with this TDI, you also want the best oil available. the best oil is defined differently depending who you ask, but i'm leaning on 100% synthetic and in a 5w40 rating, which leads me to either Motul Specific or Elf DID, the new formula is supposed to be full-syn. the Castrol is a blend, from what i gathered here.

also remember, "recommended for..." is not the same as "approved for..." don't get lost in that game.

cool, thanks! i called worldimpex, and have ordered a new fuel, air, and oil filter(s)... but i'll be getting the oil myself from the parts store...

Steve-O ©

TDI
2006 Jetta
SilverGhost said:
- Push and hold the odometer reset button
- Turn ignition on (but do NOT start engine)
- The message "service now" (full display) or a solid wrench? (half display) will be on solid
- release odometer reset button
- press the minute button and release
- the "service now" or wrench message should now go out.

I takes a little timing to do this without reseting the trip odo or changing the clock. It now takes me less than a second to do.

Jason
sweet, thanks dude.... i did it in about 2 seconds, and didn't reset the trip! :) thanks a lot!