TSB: Front Fender Corrosion at Wheel Opening

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have recently started to notice this problem and I have every intention of fixing it on my own. I just haven't had time to get to it. The salt will fly soon and I need to get it done before that.

I'm going to sand out the rusted areas and spray them with underbody coating. I don't have anything on the outer part of the fender. Just in the wheel well. I don't think it's going to get bad enough in time for me to get the dealership to cover it.

EDIT: I just read the warranty for my 2001: 12 years / unlimited mileage for perforated rusty sheet metal body panels. So, maybe I'll stop by a dealership. :)

Last edited:

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Interesting enough the TSB makes no mention of rust through. It actually just says "Surface corrosion OR corrosion perforation can occur on various locations around the front wheel arch."

And the picture shows just some surface rust.

Since I have this just starting, (I removed the sponge pads to try to avoid further cancerous growth), I might stop by the dealer and see what they say about repairing this.

timmyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Occams_Razor said:
Interesting enough the TSB makes no mention of rust through. It actually just says "Surface corrosion OR corrosion perforation can occur on various locations around the front wheel arch."

And the picture shows just some surface rust.

Since I have this just starting, (I removed the sponge pads to try to avoid further cancerous growth), I might stop by the dealer and see what they say about repairing this.
keep us posted on this

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Well, just got mine scheduled for the body shop. Went to Bramgate dealership (Brampton, On, Canada) and asked them what can be done about my fenders under warranty. A rep from VW of Canada had to inspect it and the decission is: replace passanger fender (the paint has chipped all the way on the visibile side of the fender, and rust is visible) and fix the driver side (the paint is just pealing away on the under side of the fender). No questions asked...no argueing, no hassle.
I will take some pics and post...but is the ussual.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
You mean like this:

I've been to the dealership (Eich Motors....even saying that name makes my face red :mad: yeah kinda like that) 4 times in the past year regarding this problem. I get the same story every time "A dealer rep needs to look at it - we'll call you the next time he is scheduled to be in town" Needless to say I have never received a phone call. If it was that easy in Canada, I might consider coming up there to have it done. Maybe I could do it in the Montreal area next fall ;) .

I'm kinda looking for some advice here. First off, how can I get my fender fixed? Secondly, how do I report the piss-poor performance of the dealership?

I would really appreciate any help. Thank you for the service bulletin.

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
They know about the TSB. BUT...they need the VW rep from VWoA to inspect the car and aprove the work to be done. So, you either BUG them a lot, or you find a dealership where a rep stops more often.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Ah yes, a "QTM inspection/approval is required before performing repair". Think they should be able to show him the picture for inspection/approval.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Someone posted on the list before about the foam piece and the fender liner and said just to rip it out before problems start.

The TSB states to just trim it and not to remove it.

What does this foam do? If its just for noise, I'll remove mine.

--Nate

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
My wife took our 2K1 in to the deal to complain about this happening, and they replaced both fenders n/c! They have been pretty good with us on the fenders and front windows (good, aside from the whole MAF thing, but that was more VWoA/C than our local dealer.)

LOWRANGO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf GLS TDI Auto
if the dealer will not arrange the rep meeting then call vwoa and have them arrange it. a dealer usually knows when the rep is coming and if they don't they are usually just a phone call away...

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Update...

Finally got a hold of another dealership who was aware of the problem but didn't know when the regional rep would be around next as he is retiring :rolleyes: (I believe the story but it seems that's just my luck). They told me to go back to Eich since I purchased the car from them. So I talk to the service dept at Eich and I get "Really, there's a service bulletin on that?" We'll see how this pans out - I hope Eich is able to redeem themselves.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
It's lovely that VW specifies that nothing be done by the dealer until the metal is perforated through. Thoughtful, no?

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Mass. Wine Guy said:
It's lovely that VW specifies that nothing be done by the dealer until the metal is perforated through. Thoughtful, no?
Where did you get that idea? The fender replacement is warrented if perforation is in evidence. If not it is a repair of the corrosion.

The TSB even gives 2 different labor codes in case the fender is replaced or just repaired.

Northman

Veteran Member
front fender rust damage

You'd think a good digital photo from the dealer or owner to the rep would be sufficient. I know of 3 tdi's here in my small town of 600 people that have the problem. We live over 400 miles from the nearest dealer so chances of being there when the rep is in town are nearly non existant. Even if it can be arranged it will be quite delayed and the damage will surely end up with replacement rather than repair.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Northman,

I was thinking the same thing but if VWoA is going to spend ~$500 (?) on the repair then they would at least want to see the car in person. When I spoke with the service manager I told him I had some detailed pictures I could send him and he said "I'm not the one that needs to see them." I guess he's never forwarded an email before? :rolleyes:

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I have this on both my TDI's. The stars will either align and I will get there to see the silly inspector, or they will replace the fenders when they are rotted off.

Last edited:

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Just got mine back from the dealer last night. Both done. One replaced and one repainted.
In florescent ligth the fenders look orangee vs the red of the car. :(
The passanger headlight is all missaligned and crooked...
The paint looks better in the daylight...kinda the same shade...but it snowed over night and my car is all under ice droplets now.
They washed my car though :)

I am waiting for the snow/ice to melt off and then I will check the colors. If they are off at least a bit...I'm going back.
Let you know how it progresses.

DieselFumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
onehotspud said:
I have recently started to notice this problem and I have every intention of fixing it on my own. I just haven't had time to get to it. The salt will fly soon and I need to get it done before that.

I'm going to sand out the rusted areas and spray them with underbody coating. I don't have anything on the outer part of the fender. Just in the wheel well. I don't think it's going to get bad enough in time for me to get the dealership to cover it.

EDIT: I just read the warranty for my 2001: 12 years / unlimited mileage for perforated rusty sheet metal body panels. So, maybe I'll stop by a dealership. :)
Have you taken your car into the dealership? I checked my car last night and found a little corrosion. If it goes unfixed through the winter it might creep to where it will show on the side of the car. I'm going to take the car to the dealership tomorrow, along with the TSB, to see what they will do.

4strings

TDI
2001 Golf Forest Green
I just had both fenders replaced free of charge. The dealership took photos and sent them to Volks of Canada. No need for the rep to personallly inspect the car.

The paint job is actually pretty good. The only problem is that they didn't put the door gasket back properly so it sounds like the window is cracked open all the time. I could take it back but the dealer is 55kms. away so I'll probably just fix it myself. Too bad, they were really close to getting kudos!

DieselFumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Dropped my car off at the dealer this morning so the VW Rep can look at it. The passenger's side show's corrosion while the driver's side looks okay. I reminded them to check the driver's side just in case.

b1gmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I don't know how TSB's work when you are not the original owner.

My car came from NJ, then to MA, and now, this will be it's first real real salty winter in VT.

I'm the 3rd owner, if in the event, corrosion develops, can I take it to the local dealership & have them take care of it? Or am I SOL being the 3rd owner?

I'll inspect it very close tonight & see if there is any corrosion evident.

Those of you that have had it done, do you have before pics for comparison?

Thanks,

~ryan

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I am the second owner (actually my mother in law is the owner) and they didn't ask me anything. After I did the front windows recall, they actually send me mail for the hazard switch recall. So, I guess no matter what number owner you are they still cover all the issues.

b1gmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Doc_Oc said:
I am the second owner (actually my mother in law is the owner) and they didn't ask me anything. After I did the front windows recall, they actually send me mail for the hazard switch recall. So, I guess no matter what number owner you are they still cover all the issues.
greengeeker said:
As long as the vehicle is within the affected warranty period, it doesn't matter.
Sweet,

I just checked my mail & got a recall notice for the brakelight switch, so I guess it doesn't matter how many owners the car has had :).

Next question is:

Those of you who had the TSB taken care of, did your cars have mudflaps? Will the dealer get cranky if they are on the car? Salt will get between the mudflap & fender & cause corrosion if you don't wash there frequently. Will they deny a TSB because of mudflaps?

Thanks,

~ryan

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
The TSB is only referring to corrosion at the upper portion of the front wheel arch. I'm pretty sure corrosion caused by a mudflap - say at the rear corner of the wheel arch - would be a completely different issue and not covered by this TSB.

Ryan, can you explain your issue with the brake light switch? Are you having problems? What was their reason behind the recall? thanks

b1gmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
No, I didn't have any mudflaps, but as stated...the TSB only refers to the fender well on top of the wheel not down at the botom.