EGR cooler issue during Turbo change?

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI BEW engine. The turbo controller went bad so I have no choice but to have it replaced. I purchased a Garrett turbo charger from IDParts.com and my VW dealer is changing it right now "yes I know that most people here preffer to do most things themselves" I preffer to stick to the smaller jobs-besides the shop fee for my local dealer is compairable to 3 local shops and I have a loaner car so Im not paying for a rental.
The dealer just called and said that the technician broke a bolt in the EGR cooler and that theres allot of carbon built up in it and that I should have the EGR cooler changed now because it will cause problems for me in the future.
Dose this sound familar to anyone or are they blowing smoke up my backside?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, good news is the BEW's EGR cooler is only about $70, since they were under recall anyways.

Bad news is, VERY few dealer techs did that recall properly, and like to "lose" the brackets and some hardware to them, so they break EGR pipes forever afterwards.

So if it is bad, just replace it, it's cheap. Also, make certain they do the VNT actuator Basic Settings when done (assuming they even know what that is).

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the input oilhammer you have been consistantly helpful. I'm glad youre not telling me that I'm getting hosed. Theyre getting it for me around $75 but they want about $180 in shop time to do it. Its kind of in theyre court now considering that it's apart in theyre shop and they have to remove the EGR cooler to deal with the broken bolt wich brings the shop time up anyway so why not do the EGR cooler.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
That does not sound like a bad price to replace it. The cooler is difficult to get to.

--Nate

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Did you get the modified EGR cooler pipe from IDparts as well? You'll need it to put the garrett VNT17 on the BEW engine.

I'm a bit surprised that a VW dealer is doing this job. First, they're installing someone else's part, and 2nd, they're putting a different than stock turbo on the car. If the turbo is laggy or there are problems with the actuator adjustment, their so-far-helpful attitude might take a turn for the worse.

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I was concerned about that too halocline. My dealer said they will install whatever parts I bring them-they're a VW dealer but they're also an auto shop and will work on anything that rolls. They just said that they wouldn't guarantee a part that they they don,t sell-that would be up to IDParts. They do guarantee they're work.
I did get the EGR cooler pipe-IDParts is pretty good with that stuff.