Buyback Finally Set different car?

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Well finally got my buyback appointment set. Looking to purchase 2 older VW diesels 1 for me, manual 1 for the wife. The wife would like an automatic, my question are the automatic transmissions of the 2002 to 2005 any good? Will they last or do they need rebuilds often?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
If you have to have automatic go for 2004 and 2005 tiptronic 09A. The previous transmission, the 01m is plagued with many problems. Many say the best fix is a manual swap. May want to have your wife test drive some manuals to see if maybe she doesn't need an auto. Whatever you buy consider the condition of the whole vehicle. This includes everything , rust, body damage, paint, interior, engine condition and catch up maintenance. A bunch of little things can be as much or more than one giant expense like a tranny rebuild or replace.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
The 09A automatics are quite durable although a solenoid replacement may be needed, as they age. Fortunately Its a relatively easy, and inexpensive job. ($300 parts, under 4 hrs labor.)

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I have a 09A auto in my 2004 BEW Jetta wagon, 196K miles (two owner car including me). Shifts just fine, feels strong.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I have a 09A auto in my 2004 BEW Jetta wagon, 196K miles (two owner car including me). Shifts just fine, feels strong.

Mine started to show issues around 230k miles. It then took another 20k miles before It got bad. Until it warmed up, it wouldn't shift past second, first in the winter, then in the summer. If you do a search, you'll see that its rather common, though not an absolute "its gonna happen".

Its also something you can fix yourself.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
The 04-05 09A tranny is, from what I'm largely told, a durable transmission. Wifeys 09A needed new solenoids when I bought it with 165k miles on it, replaced them and the fluid and have been good since. I have changed the fluid 2x since then just as a preventative measure since it was BLACK the first time. Per oilhammers recommendation, I use Idemitsu ATF fluid, can't remember the numbers though. Right now I drain and refilling her fluid once and year.