Help!!! How do I do the EGR'mod? I dont care about the check engine light.

Help!!! How do I do the EGR\'mod? I dont care about the check engine light.

I want to do the EGR mod and I dont mind driving around with the check engine light on
!!! I got used to it with my 89'Turbo Ford Probe. some one please help me? give instructions on how to do it? where is the EGR? and what do I unplug? please Help

------------------
Racingteddybear@aol.com http://drop.to/2slammed4u

[This message has been edited by racingteddybear (edited August 06, 2000).]

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Re: Help!!! How do I do the EGR\'mod? I dont care about the check engine light.

If this response isn't what you're expecting, I apologize, but do you fully understand the function of the EGR system? What does it do, how does it work, what is the effect on performance/economy/emissions, would there be any adverse side effects to disconnecting it?

I could be wrong, but I'm getting the impression that you are trying to change something without fully understanding the effects. If you understood the function of the system, you should be able to identify the components involved in the EGR system by poking around under the hood and tracing where various pipes, hoses, and wires go. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry ... but mechanical engineers are trained not to mess with something whose function is not understood!

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg

Interesting looking cars on that web site of yours!

The egr is the shiny thing above and to the left of the oil cap in this picture: http://karlroenick.com/VW/images/nbeng03.jpg
You can disconnect the hose to it to disable egr.

The solenoid that controls the egr valve is the one to the left of the white one in this picture: http://karlroenick.com/VW/images/nbeng03.jpg
You can disconnect the electric wire to disable egr.

This is for off-road use only.

I do understand what the purpose is. it keeps the soot out of the oil by keeping the exausht gases from recirculating back to the intake. and it also enhances low end response. now I just need to know where the EGR is in order to disconect it.
thanks for your help

------------------
Racingteddybear@aol.com
http://drop.to/2slammed4u

M

mickey

Its purpose is to reduce NOx emissions. With the EGR disconnected the NOx will shoot off the scale. But your oil, and your intake manifold, will stay a lot cleaner.

-mickey

Bob Norris

Veteran Member

(error, post in wrong thread) sorry.

[This message has been edited by Bob Norris (edited November 21, 2000).]

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg

Removing the intake doesn't seem all that easy on the New Beetle.
If I wouldn't take out the snow screen for periodic cleaning then......

TDi Guys

Veteran Member

I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned the "check engine" light issue. Personally I don't care either way for the egr system, but I kept it since I don't have the time nor energy to go through the hassle of removing it. What bothers me is the general "I dont care" attitude about the cel (check engine light). The silly light is there to warn us of a problem, and if it's on all the time due to a tinker job with the egr, it can't let us know of a real problem. Case in point: my brother drove a Z28 for years with the cel blazing. He even put a piece of tape over it! One day out of boredom we checked the code. Coolant temp sensor. Hmmm... A quick replace of one simple part, and NO cel. What a miracle! A quick drive... totally different car! Much more power, and much better gas mileage. Turns out the computer was in a default or "limp home" mode and was killing his performance. Case two: my old talon tsi turbo. Cel light for throttle position sensor. $35 part, fixed, no light, MUCH more power, plus it suddenly passed smog tests.
Sorry guys, this aint white trash 1975 anymore, tearing out egr valves and aux air pumps from our dodge dart. Why not work with all the technology we already have instead of ripping it out or ignoring it?

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg

Valois has designed a simple device that fools the engine computer into thinking the EGR system is working properly even when it is not. Thus, no more check engine light.