MN Chat Thread

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
last week, I had to stop at the bank to deposit a check and the bank is like 3/4 mile from the office. I saw 3 TDIs on the way to the bank. Then I saw one TDI after I grabbed some lunch and returned to the office. Of course, I couldn't do anything because of the traffic.

socks

TDI
Blue Graphite 2006 Jetta 5sp, 0 pkg
pela purchase

I'm in the market for a pela pump and will be ordering one within the next week or two. If anyone else is interested, PM me and some savings can derived from saving on shipping costs from Jerry Bleach.

Saw a red Golf TDI, WI plate PFL..., parked on the side of Stillwater Blvd in Oakdale around 4:30 pm yesterday on my way home.

BugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle TDI, 2005 New Beetle
I'm new to the TDI's. So I have some questions for the fellow Minnesota TDI owners. These questions pertain to a 2001 and a 2006 Beetle TDI
1. Is it a good idea to restrict air flow trough the intercooler during the winter?
2. My Beetles will be sitting outside. Is the coolant heater that some of you talk about necessary or just nice to have?
3. I have changed the setting for the EGR duty cycle on my 2001. Does this really work?

Thank you in advance.:D

somepunk22

Veteran Member
1. I've heard of people doing that to there radiators, but not ICs.
2. I haven't had any problems without one.
3. It should help, but if your at 140k, and haven't had the intake cleaned, you may want to look into it... soon.

Last tank: 715/14.95/47.8

Current tank might be better, but I'm still looking to join the 800 mile club soon.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
1. I used hose wrap on the grill on my wagon, it was over parts of the radiator, and "might" have help it get warmer quicker.

2. Mine will start down to 40 below, but if you can get a heater do it, you will warm up in the cabin *much* quicker. And the motor will thank you. Mine sits in a garage, and no electricity where I park at work.

3. I did this also, car running ok, but will probably look at an intake cleaning in the next 30K.

Sam 107K miles

BugBug said:
I'm new to the TDI's. So I have some questions for the fellow Minnesota TDI owners. These questions pertain to a 2001 and a 2006 Beetle TDI
1. Is it a good idea to restrict air flow trough the intercooler during the winter?
2. My Beetles will be sitting outside. Is the coolant heater that some of you talk about necessary or just nice to have?
3. I have changed the setting for the EGR duty cycle on my 2001. Does this really work?

Thank you in advance.:D

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
1. I think this would restrict power more than it would heat up the engine.

2. I have had no problems starting w/o a coolant heater. If you don't have heated seats, I might suggest it if you are not of the polar bear variety (I am:) ) and don't take to the cold very well.

3. No idea

Welcome to the TDI world BugBug!

BugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle TDI, 2005 New Beetle
Thank you for the welcome.
By some of the responses, I thought I would clarify.

The reason for blocking the intercooler is not so much to get the engine warmer faster than to keep the temperature differential in the turbo closer.
I was able to get the service record for the 01 Beetle and the intake was cleaned about 15000 miles ago. So if the EGR trick works (I hope it does) we wont have to clean it again for a long time.
I live near Hutchinson in central MN. If anyone needs a VAG-COM send me a PM.

b100koczur

TDI
2001 TDI Jetta 5sp. Green Diamond Tires
No winter starting or running problems for me here in Duluth. I do, however, cycle the glow plugs twice for the day's first start when it dips under 20 or so. Have noticed during a cold snap last year when I actually used a "winter" blend of fuel that my diesel clatter got much louder. So I took off the sound shield to enjoy it for a few days, then my lovely bride asked me to replace it. You shouldn't need to do anything with your car for the winter, but "need" is the word here. Others have upgraded and had good results and enjoy their cars more for doing so.

Hope to see you all on the road soon.
Brian
Duluth

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I remember there being a Tire dealer in Anoka that sold take-offs, does any one know of a place I can localy find a set of steal rims and tires cheap?
It's for my 06 5 X112 I believe I know that the Value Ed Jetta and Golf have them. Tire size 195/65 R15
I would rather have the narrower tires for the winter and not have to switch rubber in the rims.

hank miller

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Restricting intercooler cooling is counter productive. The colder your intake air the better. (If we were talking liquid air temperatures that would be different) The colder the intake air, the better fuel milage, and power you can get.

I'm not sure if this works out anyplace other than theory, but there is no reason to cut your intercooler cooling anyway.

somepunk22

Veteran Member
Took a mini road trip last Thursday and Friday. Filled up at the BP off 97 in Forest Lake. Drove to Kenosha WI, to Elgin IL, and made it back to Hudson WI before I needed fuel. 822 miles. Unfortunately I only put in a few gallons in Hudson, and then some BD when I got home. Didn't want a full tank of dino for the Volksport auto-x on Saturday.

Last edited:

paix247

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf 4-Door in Shark Blue
9/19/06
Spotted: A4 Golf TDI in Indigo Blue Pearl (i think it was a 4 door, but not sure) outside the U of M St. Paul Student Center.

Also, my fiance Spotted: A5 Jetta TDI in Salsa Red on 35W Northbound (between 62 & 94) around 11am.

9/24/06
Spotted: on my way home from Minnesota Harvest Apple Orchard: 2005 A4 Black Jetta TDI on Hwy 169 ~7pm & an A4 Jetta TDI Wagon a few minutes later (black as well I think).

Last edited:

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
Thank you.

Woo, thank you TDIClub.
Without this forum I probably wouldn't own a TDI, let alone maintain it for the easier things.
Had a few hard starts last week. Pull out to wash it Sunday (got to feel good about something after the football game) and it won't start when I go to put it back in the garage.
Sounds like its cranking and starting to fire, just no juice.

So I figured the fuel filter was clogged. Had a 20K filter kit from Dieselgeek delivered just 10 days ago. Searched all the fuel filter change threads (the video seems to be down) and swapped it out and primed it with my Mitey Vac Extractor (Pella but a bit better maybe). Didn't fire after a number of cranks and was worried so I rung up Tango_28. Went back and about 4 cranks later fired up. Minus some extra smoke, its golden.

Woo. Panzer plate is next. Previous owner tore out all the belly cover in Missouri, not going to last a winter in MN without one I'd wager.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
Old Navy GTG

TDI'watcher said:
If anyone is interested I am planning on driving down to Old Navy's GTG this October 14th. Caravan down if interested or I could take a co-pilot.

Strong chance there will be some Rocketchip installs. Plenty of TDI BSing I hear is the order of the day.
Looks like Jeff will be there.
RC stage II should be fun.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
cough cough... MN GTG sometime before winter hits hard...
i could offer up my parents place 20 mins west of the cities, not a huge place but out in the "country" (at least used to be). i don't think they would mind. just small 2 car garage, only very basic tools. free farm fresh eggs! :) probably could fit 10-12 cars max by parking on the lawn, side of the driveway....

ps. if you want an tdiparts.com order, i still have room left in my car for when i head back here in a couple days... save on shipping maybe get a few free filters pm me

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
burpod said:
cough cough... MN GTG sometime before winter hits hard...
i could offer up my parents place 20 mins west of the cities, not a huge place but out in the "country" (at least used to be). i don't think they would mind. just small 2 car garage, only very basic tools. free farm fresh eggs! :) probably could fit 10-12 cars max by parking on the lawn, side of the driveway....
I'm interested. Weekend of October 13-16 is out for me, and try to work around Twins playoffs.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
if i were to host, i'm thinking it would be more end of october or very early nov (assuming my parents would be fine with it which i think they would be), but keep in mind i have no special tools. torque wrench, basic sockets and wrenchs etc, so if anyone wanted to do serious work, someone would need to bring more tools. we only have enough pavement for 2-4 cars (dirt driveway). 4 cars on the pavement would be kinda cramped. plus, when i get back to MN in a few days i would have to run this by the gf.... anyhow, i'll have more of an idea in a week or so...

gixxer1000

TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5-spd
Sign me up!!! But Bemidji would be better for me. And yes Im new to the club and a new owner traded my 96 Corvette Trip black LT4 6sp manual trans in at the end of july for 06 Jetta TDI pk 0.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
burpod said:
if i were to host, i'm thinking it would be more end of october or very early nov (assuming my parents would be fine with it which i think they would be), but keep in mind i have no special tools. torque wrench, basic sockets and wrenchs etc, so if anyone wanted to do serious work, someone would need to bring more tools. we only have enough pavement for 2-4 cars (dirt driveway). 4 cars on the pavement would be kinda cramped. plus, when i get back to MN in a few days i would have to run this by the gf.... anyhow, i'll have more of an idea in a week or so...
This schedule may work for me.

TDavId

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI - Reflex Silver
greengeeker said:
Silver A4 Tdi spotted during 5 o'clock rush hour today (65 and 694). Had a license plate frame and a "Misleader" sticker (which I rather enjoyed as I have never seen one before). Tried to wave but don't think you saw me.
Nick
Hey Nick,

That was me- in that Silver 2002 A4 Jetta. I think I remember seeing you- you had a passenger? I live in Fridley and spend time between my gf's in Golden Valley and Arden Hills where I work. I'm not a big fan of "W"- hence the upside down W'04 sticker- making it into an M isleader.

I've got 108k, lifetime average 39 mpg :( I do a lot of city/short trips. Plus my Yakima roof rack probably decreases my mileage.

My car has lost it's spunk lately- so I cleaned out the snow screen- WOW!!! There must have been 1/4 cup of sand, insects, and seeds in there! Surprisingly, no change in performance. It must have been grabbing air from the trap door on the snow screen snorkel. I tried unplugging the MAF. It performed mildly better- but after I hooked it back up, I now have a Check Engine Light on... so I'm in the market for buying a Vag-com or perhaps in the interim, a quick hookup with someone nearby who has one compatible with a 2002 Jetta. I'm hoping it's not the intake- which I had cleaned at 50k. I've got the Old Navy CCV mod and a while back I turned down the EGR. But, since I've had a couple of visits to the dealer, I also wanna make sure my EGR is still off.

Any Twin Cities VAG-COMs out there willing to meet me and my '02 Jetta? Maybe I could wait for the next GTG but I'd like to diagnose ASAP.

-Dave

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Hey Dave,

Yeah, I carpool with my wife to work. It's really fun cruising through that carpool lane on that ramp. Sorry I can't help you with the VAG-com, I've yet to purchase although I think I will eventually. I'll honk next time :D

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
well i might be going to the old navy GTG, leaving most likely on fri the 13th from my parents just west of the cities...

as for a GTG at my place, my parents won't work out, but the weekend after the old navy GTG i could host at my place in bemidji. more space at least parking wise. 1 heated space in the garage which i think we could use if i ask my landlord. if anyone is interested, let me know...

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
burpod said:
well i might be going to the old navy GTG, leaving most likely on fri the 13th from my parents just west of the cities...
Hey I'll see you there!

Any last minute chance to tempt Tango to going? Make it a convoy.
Should be getting my Panzer done today. Will have new nozzles delivered in the next week or two.
I've heard Jeff can tune for the nozzles even if they're not in yet. Can it be stored on the ECU and 'turned on' with VAG COM or something like that? I guess I'll be asking that in person luckily.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
BURPOD: Depending on scheduling, I'd enjoy a run up to Bemidji from Shakopee for a GTG. I can bring my VAG-COM/laptop, front hub/bearing puller, TB toolkit (A4), and maybe another specialty tool or two, if there is need.

TDAVID: PM me RE: Vag-Com, if you still need to use/borrow.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
i'm thinking sat the 22nd would work for me, so if there is enough interest, we can do it. this coming weekend i'm also free.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
i don't think i can even do a gtg now any heh. my schedule's been hectic. however, this weekend i am planning on putting the golf in the garage (if the landlord gives his ok) and do the oil change, oil cooler upgrade, tdi heater.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I just read the 2007 TDIfest thread and it seems no one is stepping forward to host it. So.... I wanted to get a feel for any Minnesotans who would be interested in taking this on? I'd definately be interested in being part of the team. :eek:

Bueller?...Bueller?...Bueller?

Last edited: