Clutch pedal stuck... just for a minute.

spooality

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6MT
I was merging on to the interstate this morning and I saw that the road was wide open, so I thought it would be fun to floor it and get up to speed. Once I shifter in to fourth, I let off the clutch pedal and it only came back about an inch or two. The clutch felt like it fully engaged, and when I pressed on the pedal again it felt like it fully disengaged and I was able to shift into fifth and sixth, but the pedal never came back up. After about three seconds of panic, I popped the pedal back out by putting my foot under the pedal. Now everything seems fine. I haven't had this happen in any other stick shift I've owned. Is this just something that can happen or could this be an indication of something more serious that I should look in to?

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder. The clutch master and slave feed off of the brake master. If it is low, you have a leak in the clutch system.
look at the clutch master and the hose leaving going to the clutch bleed block
on the transmission. If no leaks are seen, the clutch slave cylinder inside the transmission could be leaking. Remove the panel under the engine and look for
fluid seeping from the seam between the engine and bell housing.
If the slave is leaking, the trans needs to come out, and possibly the clutch will need replacing if it got wet with brake/clutch fluid.

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
Recently happened to me too. Found the master cylinder reservoir low. Topped off fluid and actuated the pedal multiple times and all was good for a short period of time. Clutch started to engage erratically and ended up smoking the clutch but was still driveable until,a cold morning in February when the pedal went to the floor and stayed. Just got around to replacing the clutch two weeks ago. Found the slave cylinder housing cracked and leaking. Installed a Sachs SRE clutch, SRE metal slave cylinder and new master cylinder along with a braided stainless line and restrictor delete bleeder block. Totally transformed the way the car drives.

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
Got the bleeder block from a guy in the U.K. who sells them on eBay, half the price of the name brand parts, same quality. Got the braided line from ECS tuning.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Got the bleeder block from a guy in the U.K. who sells them on eBay, half the price of the name brand parts, same quality. Got the braided line from ECS tuning.
Ive read alittle on these and am ready to do it. Just attempted to look it up on ebay and it was listed for ($1310.40 USD). Yes it was the convertion bleeder listing from a UK dealer. Obviously mistaken price or he was under the influance at the time of listing. I will check ECS next.

Any price or info. on your recent fee-bay purchase?

Edit
I just looked it up on ECS. $142
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/6-speed-clutch-bleeder-block/001284ecs01kt/

Last edited:

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
Ive read alittle on these and am ready to do it. Just attempted to look it up on ebay and it was listed for ($1310.40 USD). Yes it was the convertion bleeder listing from a UK dealer. Obviously mistaken price or he was under the influance at the time of listing. I will check ECS next.

Any price or info. on your recent fee-bay purchase?

Edit
I just looked it up on ECS. $142
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/6-speed-clutch-bleeder-block/001284ecs01kt/
Ha! I saw the price. Not sure what is going on with that listing but I paid $44.30 plus shipping.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Ha! I saw the price. Not sure what is going on with that listing but I paid $44.30 plus shipping.
Can you post the link?
How long was shipping to you?
Thx

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Can you post the link?
How long was shipping to you?
Thx
I messaged the UK seller on eBay and asked about the price. He replied and said they're simply waiting on a restock, so I assume the price hike was his way of not selling any while they're waiting. ;)

I'm going to wait and see what they cost once they received a resupply. He said "next month," so hopefully won't be too long.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I messaged the UK seller on eBay and asked about the price. He replied and said they're simply waiting on a restock, so I assume the price hike was his way of not selling any while they're waiting. ;)
I'm going to wait and see what they cost once they received a resupply. He said "next month," so hopefully won't be too long.
Yeah thanks, thats the same thing he said when I asked. Do they seem cheap or shortcut in any way?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah thanks, thats the same thing he said when I asked. Do they seem cheap or shortcut in any way?
I couldn't say -- don't yet have one in my hands either. I'm willing to gamble, though; they look identical to the ECS units.
I would imagine they are a simple straight thru desine. From my understanding of the O.E. part it must be an overengineered mini accumulator type valve???

BTW what have you been thinking on the tune?