2012 Golf TDI - AC is warm

Freeroamer

TDI
2015 Golf TDI MK7 2.0 CRUA 6MT - 138k
So all of a sudden my AC stopped blowing cold and is blowing around ambient maybe a bit lower. I tried recharging but that did nothing.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
There is a common part of the compressor called the RCV that goes out on these volkswagens youll have to do some research. If you take it to someone who knows vw's they'll know what it is and can replace the part pretty cheap if you take it to the dealer they will sell you a whole new compressor that you may not really need as they wont replace just this little valve.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
RCV is very common. The dealer did mine under CPO. Coverage, ,$50 deductible. RCV only

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Why do people just try and jam more refrigerant in the system???

The RCV is common. There is a TSB about it. Easy fix. This is literally a 15 year old known issue, although the TSB is not nearly as old (took them a while).

Freeroamer

TDI
So more symptoms.. It's cool but not cold when I initially start up but after a few minutes it gets warm.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Have your car looked at by someone who knows vw's and can scan it with VCDS. Giving us more symptoms isn't going to help. What will help is a scan with VCDS and a proper automotive evac/charging machine. Like we've all said the #1 suspect with AC issues with theses cars is the RCV but you need the proper tools to nail down the diagnosis for sure. Otherwise you may as well just start throwing parts at it hoping one of them will fix it and thats gets expensive fast. Just get it looked at by someone who knows what they are looking at, buy once cry once.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to try the RCV then take it to my mechanic.
Ok, gonna run a few scenarios by you. Im not saying these WILL happen but given the nature of what happens when most people try to fix a TDI "on the cheap" or cut corners some or all very well MAY happen.

1. You replace the RCV yourself without proper evac/recharge.
A. You'll make a hell of a mess.
B. You will drain enough refrigerant (remember it also lubricates the whole system) that it won't have enough in it for the compressor to survive the trip to your mechanic because the compressor has no clutch. If the engine is on it is always turning, thats what the RCV is for.
C. You end up mulching the compressor and it costs you literally thousands to get your AC working again.

2. You replace the RCV without proper evac BUT you recharge with auto-parts store refrigerant cans.
A. The mess again.
B. Those cans aren't exactly an accurate guage on if the system is full (even the ones with the gages in the package) most people get lucky enough that their AC starts working again for a while and they are ok with bandaiding it along instead of fixing the actual problem. That's why they sell the heck out of those cans in the summertime. Anyway, you COULD easily overcharge your system and damage your new RCV or other parts of the system costing you more money.

3. The safe bet scenario, you take it to someone who has the proper tools (evac/recycle/recharge), expertise and experience to properly diagnose and repair the AC system.
A. No mess
B. Most likely don't have to do it all again next weekend because corners were cut.
C. IF the repair is botched, the shop that botched it has to fix it at no charge.

Yes #3 costs more up front BUT the other two will cost far more and are more likely than you would think. I hope whatever you chose that you get lucky the first time. But im a bit of a gambler and even I wouldn't roll the dice on a half-assed vw repair...

Freeroamer

TDI
When I said I'd try the RCV I meant I'd have a shop deal with it. At least the discharge/recharging bit.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I replaced the RCV myself. I had a local shop evacuate the system. I bought about $120 worth of vacuum pump, gauges, Freon and lubricant, and had a scale already (to weigh the cans as Freon is added by weight). I bought a RCV online saving money from dealer (forgot about $35). My old one was jammed up or contaminated. This was 5 years ago and it still blows COLD....

I spend many hours getting all the tools, materials and parts. Many more hours researching. The actual job only took a few hours start to finish (as I pulled a vacuum and let it sit to check for leaks). The actual Freon fill took about 15 minutes. The pressures all came up as I installed the factory spec weight of Freon. Very satisfying.

I am glad I did it. Not only saved money I learned a lot.

blackcloud08

TDI
2011 JSW
On my 2011, we've replaced the compressor control valve and had a shop properly charge the system. The A/C now blows cold when the car is moving but if I get to where I'm going and let it idle to circulate the oil to cool the turbo the air seems to be about the temperature of the fan blowing vs a/c. Any ideas? Thanks & God bless.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
On my 2011, we've replaced the compressor control valve and had a shop properly charge the system. The A/C now blows cold when the car is moving but if I get to where I'm going and let it idle to circulate the oil to cool the turbo the air seems to be about the temperature of the fan blowing vs a/c. Any ideas? Thanks & God bless.
Do you have acual air temps at vent. Itll tell alot initially. Different people have different "whats cold" values. An auto parts store will have a generic vent thermometer.

When these a/c's are right theylll freeze you out.

blackcloud08

TDI
2011 JSW
Do you have acual air temps at vent. Itll tell alot initially. Different people have different "whats cold" values. An auto parts store will have a generic vent thermometer.
When these a/c's are right theylll freeze you out.
No I've not checked actual temps. We had it and my wife's 2017 Camry sitting side by side both on same settings/fan speed and her's is colder while sitting still.

It feels normal when moving but when I pull into a parking lot or something and stop, it feels like the fan is blowing with the a/c button off.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
No I've not checked actual temps. We had it and my wife's 2017 Camry sitting side by side both on same settings/fan speed and her's is colder while sitting still.

It feels normal when moving but when I pull into a parking lot or something and stop, it feels like the fan is blowing with the a/c button off.
What are the temps./fan speed @ under (?) different conditions