GTI to TDI steering wheel swap

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
Has anybody done the gti/gli steering swap on tdi? If i buy the SW with the airbag, do I need to buy something else for this like harness or control module?

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
As long as you get a GLI airbag unit it is plug and play, as long as your car came with a MFSW.
10 minute swap tops. 20 if you struggle with the airbag clips. 30 if you don't get the notch aligned with the wheel and it is crooked.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
i have an option to get the wheel with the RED and BLACK stitching, the BLACK is $80 more, is it worth paying more for black stitch?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
What does? My wheel has dark grey stitch... the photo is a bit deceiving.
yes, dark grey, I dont have that option, I can only get in RED or BLACK for the price I found , can not decide if its worth $80 for black, the red looks nice too except I dont have anything red in my car at this moment

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
yes, dark grey, I dont have that option, I can only get in RED or BLACK for the price I found , can not decide if its worth $80 for black, the red looks nice too except I dont have anything red in my car at this moment
If your car is red, then the red stitching is a nice tie-in to the exterior of the car. If your car is any other color, then the red will not match anything and will eventually drive you nuts. At which point you will either need to buy the red-stitched shifter boot, e-brake handle, maybe some red wrap for the trim, etc in order to tie everything together. All together those would equal between $500-$750 to purchase...

Or you can spend the $80 now for the black stitching, enjoy the wheel and never have to worry about the rest of it. ;)

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
the car is white, i wish i could get the white or grey stitch
Grey stitch isn't heard to find; it's the price of them that will kill ya :eek:

If you have a manual; you can watch for US Golf Rs selling them; if not, you'll have to look overseas on Ebay.uk or .de to find one with paddles (assuming you want paddles for your DSG).

EDIT: Just saw you have a 6MT. That makes it a little easier at least; but basically it comes down to watching the sale threads and ebay for one to pop up.

UBR WGN

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI
I bought my steering wheel in pieces (wheel, airbag, GTD badge). In doing this, I was able to do it for about 450.00. I love it, would never change it back to stock unless I was trading the car in.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought my steering wheel in pieces (wheel, airbag, GTD badge). In doing this, I was able to do it for about 450.00. I love it, would never change it back to stock unless I was trading the car in.
you live in a different part of the world, here in US it would be hard to get it for 450, unless its used

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
:eek:True, I need to remove the R badge and replace it with the GTD badge THEN it will be a GTD wheel. I liked the black button surrounds better then the chrome on the GTD wheel.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Correction:

Golf R Shifter/ Wheel / E-Brake is the perfect accent for our cars, once you add the sport pedal set into the mix :D

I'm keeping the R badge (unless I can get an "R-Line" badge instead) as I am adding R-Line badges to the sides along with a few other OEM+ updates.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
IIRC the black panel is what designates it an R wheel as opposed to GTD or GTI... those have brushed.

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
True true, I'm on 2 hours of sleep.

The piano black matches the rest of the car's accents perfectly. I still need to do the sport pedals but after xenons/fogs I'm giving my wallet a rest.

UBR WGN

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI
you live in a different part of the world, here in US it would be hard to get it for 450, unless its used
Ebay was my friend. Found the steering wheel minus airbag one day, then about a month later I came across a good deal on the airbag. Both brand new. And even though I'm from the land of bagged milk, I dont live that far away from you.;)

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
Tell me if I have this right:

I have 2011 JSW, DSG, with MFSW already.

To get paddle shifting all I need is a DSG MFSW out of a MKVI GTI, GLI, or GTG, correct? And I should be able to repurpose my airbag assembly into the new wheel, I don't need anything else... and all I have to do is code it in VCDS?

Can't be that easy :rolleyes:

Well... I am struggling to find one. Between US and Germany I only found (1) on ebay.de.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
Tell me if I have this right:

I have 2011 JSW, DSG, with MFSW already.

To get paddle shifting all I need is a DSG MFSW out of a MKVI GTI, GLI, or GTG, correct? And I should be able to repurpose my airbag assembly into the new wheel, I don't need anything else... and all I have to do is code it in VCDS?

Can't be that easy :rolleyes:

Well... I am struggling to find one. Between US and Germany I only found (1) on ebay.de.
You can NOT use your old airbag in the GTI/GTD/Golf R wheel, it is a completely different wheel than the one that comes in the JSW/Golf. You need both the airbag and the wheel... everything else is correct above.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
You can NOT use your old airbag in the GTI/GTD/Golf R wheel, it is a completely different wheel than the one that comes in the JSW/Golf. You need both the airbag and the wheel... everything else is correct above.
And the correct Airbag Harness ;)

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
You need both the airbag and the wheel... everything else is correct above.
That's gotta be pretty expensive (+airbag). My only reasonable option would be junk yard. The good news is there's probably at least few GTI/GLI between here and Seattle ;)