Low Tire Light ON.. All tires OK !!!

shiraz627

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG
My TPMS light was on for about a week after I had upped the pressures to 38psi or at least thought I did. Any way I went out today and bought a decent gauge(AccuGauge S60X $6.99@Sears Auto) and found two of my tires were at 30psi so I bumped them both up to 38psi and the fault cleared instantaneously. I will monitor the situation.

2010 JSW, DSG, 14k on the clock

Gary
Seems like my TPMS issue has been resolved with an air pressure adjustment.

maryMKVI

TDI
2010 Tornado Red VW Golf MKVI- "Tucker"
I'm sure you got it taken care of by now, but I had the same problem! It took them a long time to fix it, I was there for like 2+ hours... but it hasn't been ap roblem since! :)

Prophet

Mine just started to happen today @ 9,700 miles. Can the '11 ABS/ESP system be retrofit to the 10 models? Is it a software and/or hardware change?

-P.

T

Timujin

Round 2 with this. I did find 1 tire @ 37PSI and all others were 38-40 PSI. The first time around they were set at 38PSI. A little bit of a PITA. I will add pressure to all and see if they automatically reset. If not back the the stealership again..............................................

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The ironic thing about my 2010 rim mounted TPMS is that the two times my tires really did need air was because the the TPMS needed to be tightened down in the rim. First it was my passenger side rear wheel, which clearly needed to be a little tighter almost immediately after getting my new wheels. Then recently it was the driver's side rear wheel that must have slowly lost air over time and the TPMS needed to be tightened ever so slightly. It was a little loose. So it is kind of funny to me that the TPMS tells me my tires are low because my TPMS is leaking. It does work and I guess it is a nice feature, but ironically the TPMS can cause the issue that it is intended to remedy.

I guess the 2011 system is nicer. Too bad VW didn't get the TPMS right a few months earlier for my 2010. At least I did get an RNS510 and it was easy to switch to the 9W7 bluetooth. They did get a lot of other things right about my 2010 Golf TDI, so I'm not going to complain too much.

amycyclenut

TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG
No problems with TPMS to speak of but when car was in last they did bulletin for it. A few days later, TPMS light comes on and flashes at startup. Will take it to dealer for resolution one of these days.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
First thing is you might want to check your tire pressure. The dealers I've been to seem to have this compulsive need to screw with the tire pressure, in spite of my telling them to leave it alone. That's weird it happens after the update.

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
This may be of little help to owners of earlier model Golfs with TPMS, but on my 2011 there is a reset button in the glove box that enables you to recalibrate the TPMS for higher or lower tire pressures based on your preference. .
Correct. For you 2011 owners, simply adjust your tire pressures evenly at around 38psi, turn your ignition key to the accessory position, press and hold the reset button in the glove compartment for 2 seconds and you're done!

tedkidd

TDI
11 JSW
Correct. For you 2011 owners, simply adjust your tire pressures evenly at around 38psi, turn your ignition key to the accessory position, press and hold the reset button in the glove compartment for 2 seconds and you're done!
Mine periodically comes on when there is no issue. I think tracking rotation might be an imperfect approach, but like with smoke alarms I prefer an infrequent false positive to no notification. nice not having to buy expensive sensors that tire guys hate.

ruajohnson

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I had this same issue and the dealer replaced the sensor all together. It happened right after they replaced my tires. Maybe they damaged it?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
starting happening to me just now @ 9000miles... topped off, checked with a gauge after 2 separate trips.

guess i'll let them deal w/ it at my 10k (gulp!).

re2st

TDI
2011 Jetta SportWagen
Yeah, right. Except that on mine, the reset button itself is eff'd up. They couldn't reset the computer, had to order replacement button. So I have to live with it for a while. So much for a German-level quality control..:mad:

deserthi

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6 spd Man
I am bummed. My light was stying on so yesterday I upped the tire pressure to 45lbs each and went for a drive and the light still stayed on. I know if I go to my Dealer that they will just put more air in there and call it fixed!

SolidState

TDI
none
As previously mentioned, there are two different TPMS systems for the mk5/6/passat/cc/tiguan. One is hardware based with a VDO sensor in each wheel attached to the valve stem. The other is software based on rolling circumference detected by the ABS system. The latter is much more user friendly.

If you are having difficulty with the early hardware based system, there are a couple of things you can do without a trip to the dealership.

First, note the behavior of the TPMS indicator in the cluster. If it blinks before going solid, this indicated that there is a fault in the TPMS system, typically a communication error with one or more sensors. If it simply comes on solid, there is simply a low tire somewhere.

Before troubleshooting the hardware TPMS, be absolutely sure of the tire pressures in all tires. Being even 1psi below the sticker on the door sill will cause you grief. Use a reliable gauge. I spent over an hour troubleshooting a TPMS fault on an R32 because my gauge read 2psi too high.

Next, if you have the means, use a suitable TPMS tool to check the condition on the sensor in each wheel. This will tell you if the sensor is functional and the battery is good. If you don't have the means, move on to the next step.

Next thing to try is is re-adapting the sensors to the comfort module. The TPMS module is built into the comfort module and communicates with the sensors via the alarm/comfort system antenna. Adapting the sensors is pretty straight forward but requires a bit of time.
- hook up a suitable battery charger to ensure consistent power to the CCM
- set the parking brake to ensure the DRLs are off
- from the off position, turn the ignition on but don't start the engine.
- leave vehicle in this state for 20-25 minutes. This puts the TPMS module into 'learn' mode.
- start engine and prepare for a road trip, preferably on the highway
- drive vehicle at a constant speed above 16mph (25kmh) for a minimum of 7 minutes. Again, a highway run here is best.
- if the TPMS light blinks out, you're set. If not, more troubleshooting is required and you will need a VCDS or VAG6150/5150b and a TPMS sensor tool.

If you have a VCDS or VAG tool, you can use measured values to check what each sensor is set up for (half or full load) and what each sensor is reading. Keep in mind that pressure readings are in BAR.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
If you have a VCDS or VAG tool, you can use measured values to check what each sensor is set up for (half or full load) and what each sensor is reading. Keep in mind that pressure readings are in BAR.
This really did work perfectly for me when my friend changed my TPMS set point to a slightly lower psi and then I reduced the pressures in the tires. The VCDS tool and TPMS system gave the same pressure readings as my gauge at the tires.

Runnerguy45

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Black JSW, 2015 Golf
My tire pressure sensor light just went off tonight. The car only has 1645 miles on it. I n the morning will check the tire pressure but I hope this isn't a regular problem. I am 1.5 hours from a dealer. Car is 14 days old errrrrr

SolidState

TDI
none
This shouldn't be a problem if you keep an eye on your cold tire pressure.

If you set your tires to the specification on the door sill after you have driven 60mph for an hour, you will likely see the TPMS MIL on the next morning after the tires cool off.

NCDiesel001

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan 2011 Golf 2DR HB Manual tranny
I had the same exact problem as the original poster and many of those following up with replies. Tires all perfect at 38psi but the light came on at 95 miles. However, the reset button in the glove box worked for me and the light has stayed off (1100 miles now).

As a data point for future searchers: I will say I had to hold the button longer than I would have thought. Even more aggravating was the light flicks off and back on very quickly when you first press it, making you think to take your finger off. Hold it for few more seconds and it will go off.

Hope this helps,

NCDiesel
--------------------
2011 Golf TDI aka "Sharky"
2DR HB Manual Transmission Shark Blue

Last edited:

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Fine directions, found them here before locating in the owner's manual. worked like a charm. Thank you!

My TPMS light had been on for five days after dealer replaced a tire that was prematurely retired due to road debris in the inside sidewall. The dealer reset didn't take, may have been due to tire pressure in the 34-36 psi range.

The warning light is gone.

Last edited:

amycyclenut

TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG
My TPMS light came on (would blink for 60 seconds then go solid) about a week after dealer installed a sw update. I verified that the tires had proper pressure and just ignored it until my 10k service (manual actually mentions this and says see dealer).

The final result: the fault code was for incorrect base setting. Adaption values for tire pressure were at 5.5 bar. Reset to 2.6 bar.

Last edited:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
best news i got when I bought my Canadian Golf TDi 2011. NO TPMS

RudyH

TDI
Sportwagen 2011
Same symptom in my 2011 JSW TDI. Will have it serviced at next trip to dealer.

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My TPMS light came on (would blink for 60 seconds then go solid) about a week after dealer installed a sw update. I verified that the tires had proper pressure and just ignored it until my 10k service (manual actually mentions this and says see dealer).
The final result: the fault code was for incorrect base setting. Adaption values for tire pressure were at 5.5 bar. Reset to 2.6 bar.
Your symptom is almost exactly like mine. I just had the dealer update the ECU and two days later the TPMS light came on. Blinks for a minute then goes solid. This is the VDCS fault code:
Code:
Wednesday,22,June,2011,18:15:23:57110
VCDS Version: Release 10.6.4
Address 65: Tire Pressure       Labels: None
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 937 087 G    HW: 1K0 937 087 G
Component and/or Version: RDK           103 0521
Software Coding: 018705
Work Shop Code: WSC 01357 011 00200
VCID: 356BCF4C25D1
1 Fault Found:
01325 - Control Module for Tire Pressure Monitoring (J502) 
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100101
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 41978 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.14.08
Time: 18:15:16
I'll check the adaption settings tomorrow and see if it is set incorrectly.

jimlockey

Veteran Member
TDI
14 TDI Jetta & 09 TDI Sportwagen
I have a real good dealer in Garland, Tx. that replaced the sensor in one of my tires after this happened. I just told them I didn'r want this to happen again when I'm on long highway trips.

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I managed to set the values to 26 (or 2.6 bar) and the light went out, but now when I try to read the channel I get this:

Thoughts?

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
Also interested in a fix for this w/ VAGCOM. I do not want to mess with the dealership....

My light has been on for a few days now @18k miles. All tires and spare have been double checked for pressure.

tschatzinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 4 door, cold weather package, manual :)
I thought I had this issue. Only 2.8k miles on this car but turned out I had a hole in one of the tires.