OEM sport springs: Bilstein HD or Sport?

moved2tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle 5spd
I have a 2001 NB with the OEM sport suspension and I want to replace the struts/shocks.

The TC series have 2 diffrent models listed: One for the factory sport springs and the other for the standard springs. I don't want the TC's.

I want them to last so I am going to invest in the HD's. Since the Sports are just shortened HD's which ones do I get for my setup?

HD or Sport?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
How much shorter are the springs? If they are 1/2" or more shorter get the sports.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
i didn't know 2001 Beetles came with sport springs. i have had the hd's for several years on my 2000 Bug with oem springs and they have worked out great.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
I'm in the same boat with VelvetFoot :) I've had the HDs with stock springs for a while now and really like the ride. Plus I thought, as he does, that all NBs, at least TDI NBs came stock with plain Jane springs (not Sport). I was under the impression VW doesn't believe the TDI needs Sport springs with its relatively anemic stock engine.
YMMV Can you see the colored spots on the springs and relay that here for comparison?

moved2tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle 5spd
OK, I made a mistake.

When I bought my NB used I was told it had a sport suspension from the factory. I didn't ask questions and just assumed the guy I bought if from was right.

So when I decided to replace the struts/shocks I began searching the forums and spent days researching the different options but found nothing on the OEM Sport suspension on the NB.

So I made this thread......

and then Velvetfoot questioned that the NB even had the option for sport suspension.

I started looking through my owner’s manual and I found the original sticker.

No sport suspension. Boy I feel stupid.

So don't always believe what people tell you (unless it is on TDIclub forums.)

Thanks Velvetfoot and Mark of Diesel for clarifying my ignorance.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
They ARE lower though. I have 98' Beetle springs and they are 1/2 lower even with new strut bushings on a Jetta. Also they are 170 in lbs VS the 133 of the Jetta and Golf.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
The sport suspension on a stock VW is a couple of percent stiffer than non sport. A bit shorter as well. Use Bilstein HD's and the car will be a bit taller. Which on a Beetle is good because they are WAAAAAY too low without sport, and with, you hit everything!

moved2tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle 5spd
No the actual Dealer window sticker was the one I found.
If by chance they were sport springs, I wouldn't mind if it raised it.

treyca

Veteran Member
Hd's are the way to go. I was so impressed i bought a set for my toyota4R. My HD's outlasted my buddies Koni's, his only lasted a year.