/// 47 cetane diesel ! ////

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi All,

I was buying fuel the other day at a station I don't typically stop at but did because my normal station had broken diesel fuel pumps.

Anyways , after putting in my typical diesel power dose and 2 stroke oil brew I noticed the fuel was rated for 47 cetane!

What can I reasonably expect from that fuel mileage wise and power wise?

All the other fuel I've ever run was 40 cetane ...

FWIW I typically add about 4 oz. Diesel clean and about 8 oz 2 stroke oil per 8 to 9 or so gallons of diesel when I fill up.

Thanks for any input on this and happy 4th!

Andrew

Ps - the fuel was the same price as 40 cetane typically costs me...

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
First, I don't have any idea of fuel mileage expectations but that may be that last fill you will ever need to do.

Interesting concoction you have there. Was that by accident? You used to have a 2 stroke and just needed to get rid some left over oil? Do you ever look in your rear view mirror and see a bunch of motorcycles following you and at the next stop light they pull up and tell you how good you smell?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
These threads.....
Fuel is fuel. Some places you can get a little less some a little more.
For the most part, your tdi wont care and you wint see any difference.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Stickers on pumps in the US are meaningless. They may be obsolete or just flat out wrong.

Some fuel is better than others. In Canada you can buy Shell premium diesel that actually is premium. And I've had the experience of my TDIs running signifigantly better (more power, less smoke). Closest you can come in the US is to run B20, which raises cetane but isn't enough of a percentage to take a significant hit on BTUs.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have tried fuels from many different places. No hole in the wall places though, major retailers only. I have tried at least 11 different additives as well. I have never noticed any "significant" changes in sound, running smoothness, or anything else for that matter. By significant I mean that if you didn't know anything about these cars and someone else changed the fuel and/or used an additive, they would more than likely not notice anything. Small increases in fuel economy may happen and may be able to notice some slight additional smoothness. But significant, no way.

I have had my wife blind test some of this stuff as she almost never drives my car. No matter what fuel or additives I have tried she says it all just seems the same to her.

I buy fuel with a small percent bio as that is widely available here, just for additional lubricity purposes. In 16 years I have never had a problem with diesel fuel.

Canada is quite a drive for me to get better fuel so that isn't going to happen any time soon. No premium around here that I am aware of. QT fuel seems to get a little better economy for me here than other brands.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have noticed what I think is better fuel economy from some fuel stations. Some of my best tanks have been with fills from Sheetz. Of course those are always while on road trips as there aren't any Sheetz stations near me. That's why I say I think it's better FE.

Additives don't necessarily provide any better FE or engine running characteristics. People shouldn't look for that. They are intended to help prevent fuel gelling in extreme weather and/or provide lubricity for longer component life.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
We agree on both counts. I also can't prove QT is any better as I go to the cheapest near me. One tank means nothing to me.