Project Kill Da Auto Wabbit!, Or how I learned to love the Manual Swap

ELM

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle 5 speed swap
Since we have same year and a wagon can you help me the wiring for cruise and reverse lights and whatever else there is to wire?
The wiring instructions are good. The only thing that wasn't clear to me in the write ups is that there is some using/borrowing of old now unused wires in the new wiring for five speed. I went to the junk yard and picked up some plugs for ECM and relays so I could really get a good look at them out of the car. I did my Beetle and there is less info out there on them and the TCM is up in the dash and very hard to see anything.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
thanks. I have this ridiculous 01m paperweight in my driveway and I can't help but to stare at it in disgust.
Well, that's your problem,it's far too heavy to only hold down paper... you've gotta buy a boat... use it as an anchor.

Hugowagon

TDI
04 jetta wagon
Hey guys !

I own a 2004 jetta wagon PD and i did the 5 speed tiptronic to 5 speed manual swap a couples of weeks ago.

It wouldnt have happened without the help of everybody that posted here :) Big thanks to each of you !!

Everything is done correctly and everything works great exept one thing....

My cruise control doesnt work, the "cruise" green light lit up when i turn cruise on but i cant engage it.

My VSS works, i've routed the a27 bus from the cluster to the ECU, and the clutch cancel switch too has +12v to pin 43. I've checked the continuity to the pin 43 and it's good.

AND the ecu and every module that can be coded to manual has been done.

If anyone can help on this it would be great,
Thanks !

erbilabuc

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Green Jetta wagon
I feel so accomplished. Clutch is in, shifter is in. Tomorrow the pedal goes in and then the transmission goes in. Im really scared of the wiring. If it wasn't for this 5 speed swap I would of never been so up close and personal with this engine to see that my coolant leak that I have had for almost a year is due to a cracked thermostat housing.

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
My VSS works, i've routed the a27 bus from the cluster to the ECU, and the clutch cancel switch too has +12v to pin 43. I've checked the continuity to the pin 43 and it's good.

AND the ecu and every module that can be coded to manual has been done.
Check MB 006 in the ECU, watch the 1's and 0's while you operate the clutch/brake pedal, all of the other buttons should show up there as well.
here's the measuring values

Then you need to find the MB with speed in the ECU to make sure the a27 bus is actually working to the cruise control (I think it's 001 or 002... I dont' have it in front of me right now), go drive around and it should show a value in km, if it doesn't then your a27 bus is not working.

alphaseinor

TDI
I would of never been so up close and personal with this engine to see that my coolant leak that I have had for almost a year is due to a cracked thermostat housing.[/IMG][/URL]
The thermostat housing is under the injection pump... are you sure you are not talking about the cooling hose flange on the side of the head?

alphaseinor

TDI
I've found the aftermarket ones leak, while the OEM ones work fine.

Hugowagon

TDI
04 jetta wagon
Check MB 006 in the ECU, watch the 1's and 0's while you operate the clutch/brake pedal, all of the other buttons should show up there as well.

here's the measuring values

Then you need to find the MB with speed in the ECU to make sure the a27 bus is actually working to the cruise control (I think it's 001 or 002... I dont' have it in front of me right now), go drive around and it should show a value in km, if it doesn't then your a27 bus is not working.

Thanks !! I'll check thats !
I have acess to a vag com so i'll check if everything works thanks

erbilabuc

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Green Jetta wagon
Ok question. Got my swap done and I have the clutch about 40% bled because I am by myself until later today. When the clutch pedal is out there is a chattering noise and some smoke coming from transmission, when I press the clutch pedal in, the noise and smoke go away.

alphaseinor

TDI
New or used clutch?

If used did you replace the throwout bearing?

erbilabuc

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Green Jetta wagon
Well the clutch had 2000 miles but the dmf had 274,000 miles and I guess after cleaning it all the dirt and whatever was holding it together could no longer work. New set is on order

Last edited:

ericiscott

TDI
VR6 for now
Can anyone point me in the right direction on my swap? Currently in the middle of an auto to manual engine and transmission swap but I'm stuck on wiring.

Car is a 2000 with a VR6 Auto and I swapped in a 2001 VR6 Manual engine and tranny combo that I had just done the chains on before I acquired the car.

Everything is good, key on is going all good but I can't start the car as I don't have any wiring done of course. Only problem is all the guides I found talk about using the TCM wiring but when I put the other engine and transmission in I also put in the manual loom that was already connected therefore I have no TCM connection on my loom and I had to hack up the other loom a little bit. So before I start hacking up wiring and messing it up I wanted to ask if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Edit: So if I'm correct I just need to cut pin 4, attaching it to one end of the clutch switch and tapping the other end into the wire between the reverse switch and reverse lights?

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI
Can anyone point me in the right direction on my swap? Currently in the middle of an auto to manual engine and transmission swap but I'm stuck on wiring.

Car is a 2000 with a VR6 Auto and I swapped in a 2001 VR6 Manual engine and tranny combo that I had just done the chains on before I acquired the car.

Everything is good, key on is going all good but I can't start the car as I don't have any wiring done of course. Only problem is all the guides I found talk about using the TCM wiring but when I put the other engine and transmission in I also put in the manual loom that was already connected therefore I have no TCM connection on my loom and I had to hack up the other loom a little bit. So before I start hacking up wiring and messing it up I wanted to ask if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Edit: So if I'm correct I just need to cut pin 4, attaching it to one end of the clutch switch and tapping the other end into the wire between the reverse switch and reverse lights?
The starter is a part of the body harness, so it should be identical for rewiring the starter portion of the relay. You basically have the wire that goes into the relay (black with blue tracer) which connects, through the clutch cancel switch to the ground (brown wire).

The reverse switch has nothing to do with the relay

friech

TDI
2002 Jetta Manual (formerly and Auto) transmission
Just completed an auto to manual swap today. It took 2 weekends only because I was working slow and deliberate.

alphaseinor

TDI
Just completed an auto to manual swap today. It took 2 weekends only because I was working slow and deliberate.
awesome job! better slow and deliberate instead of fast and wrong :)

erbilabuc

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Green Jetta wagon
after dropping transmission for a blown flywheel I am also done with mine. Have to do a hammer mod real soon because I got the rough idle but was able to raise IQ with adaptation. The only thing that doesn't work is cruise control. I went into vcds and got this with feet off of all three pedals. Im guessing its a faulty clutch pedal because car starts without having clutch pushed in.
this is with no feet/pressure on brake or clutch

this is with feet/pressure on brake and clutch

alphaseinor

TDI
The cruise switch is different than the starter switch.