VW Slant Six Diesel engine??

Blair

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta
A co-worker told me about a 'Slant Six VW Diesel' engine his neighbor has ..
Did anyone hear of this engine ??.
He says he got it from an old very old truck type mavhine ..

Kevin Rhodes

TDI
'17 GTI Sport
2.4l inline six. Don't know about the "slant" part, as far as I know they are straight up and down. Used in the VW "LT" series of trucks in Europe (though I have seen an LT here in Maine, once), and also in Volvo 240 and 740 models. Basically the good old 1.6l VW 4 with two more cylinders tacked on. Available in NA and Turbo versions. 740TD is a VERY nice car!

Kevin

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
I own a Volvo 760 with the inline-6 Turbodiesel. Its not a bad little engine. I'm planning on replacing it with the most badass TDI anyone has ever seen in the USA. (clue: more than 4 cylinders.
)

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I saw a guy with an old Studebaker hot rod with a Volvo/VW NA 6 cylinder in it. Smoked like crazy and sounded terrible under acceleration. Otherwise it was kind of interesting.

My Audi 5000 had a slanted 5 cylinder. Made it kind of nice to change the glow plugs.

jetta02tdi

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Silver
My Dad and I each used to have one of these engines. I have a '80 Volvo 240 sedan, and he had a '81 240 wagon. Both were the non-turbo version. We bought mine used the the odometer had been messed with and the timing belt snapped! We had to pull the head and have seven valves replaced.

They were great engines. I ran one time for 45 minutes without the alternator with the radio, AC, wipers, and lights all running. Got home and the car still had enough juice to start.

I do remember, those things would smoke like you wouldn't believe, especially if you had the AC on.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
The non turbo must have smoked alot worse than the turbo version. Mine only emits a slight haze under full acceleration.