brm starts and dies in 2 seconds

rfaass

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
BRM Jetta, 2006, 185kmiles, manual, cam etc. replaced @170kmiles

Done so far:
1 push start with contact on: works perfectly, runs/drives great
2 start with flooring the accelerator pushed to the floor: works, gets through the 2 second stuble
3 checked the anti shudder valve: is open and stays open until contact off (made a movie with my phone when intake hose off)
4 checked codes: intermittend cam sensor p341 00833, p3008 12296
5 disconnected ASV: no difference
6 noticed that with contact on my wipers did not work, related?
7 checked the fuel pump under the seat, works great (when running drives great)

What else can I do to make it work correctly, I read every link on Bing/google, faq etc but no luck so far. I am inclined to take a look at the cam sensor, but it is so odd that it runs with great gas mileage and starts at first compression stroke (at least very quick)

Help is really appreciated!

Robert

Plot thickens:

By playing with the accelerator I got it to idling again, and was reading measuring blocks... stopped running and did not want to start again... tomorrow afternoon more: connector had some debris, back to the original problem. I measured the ground of the cam sensor and it is 76 ohm... compared it to the ground of the MAF: 1.7 ohm... the ground is the problem (at least one of them, lol). Now it looks like shaved wire harness...
Repaired the harness, ground is now .7 ohm, great. Still runs if you play with the accelerator and now only p0341 left... Apparently have to put a new sensor in...

Last edited:

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Throwing my two cents, I'm just an amateur, don't throw rocks at me. You're saying you got it to idle by playing with the accelerator. Maybe you got a defective EGR that stays open and floods the engine with too much exhaust gases, choking it? By playing with the accelerator maybe you got lucky and got the EGR to act OK for a while.

rfaass

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So, I disconnected the egr, does not make a difference :-( thanks for the suggestion though.

rfaass

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So, this normal behavior for a broken camshaft sensor? Thursday by end of day a new one is coming, I'll let y'all know!

rfaass

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Running right again.

The short of it: replaced cam sensor and starts rights up and keeps running!

The long of it:
I measured the output of the old camshaft sensor with a scope and it seemed to be pulsing just fine. I replaced the sensor and looked at the wave form again, I could not find a difference; the ecu thought different and stopped complaining about anything. I run a second ground wire for the sensor parallel to the old one, as I could not find the place of high resistance quickly. Normally when a wire internally is broke, you can pull on the wire and when you can stretch it the copper in there is "missing: a break. Ganna rap the wireloom now in silicon fusing tape (Walmart special in the automotive section) as the original black hard plastic seems to lead to chaffing, see other threads.

Conclusion: the camshaft sensor can degrade over time without stopping completely, I did not expect this behavior, but good to know that there is more possible than "good" versus "broken"! :D

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Codes can send us in odd directions. But, as these cars get more complex, we have little choice but to rely on them for assistance in troubleshooting. Not saying blind faith, but when it comes down to one code, consistently present and the wires and ground seem good.....thanks for updating your findings.

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
My car was hard to start from a cold engine, after replacing the tandem pump and some other things, it still happened. Finally, is was replacing an injector that corrected it. The injector worked fine on the electrical side, but the mechanical part failed in holding fuel pressure and overnight or long periods of time, it could not start or stumbled on 3-cyl. SInce all injectors must hold pressure, a failure of one will cause starting issues. I had no codes at all. That is because the electrical part of the injector was fine. Cost was $1400 with a rebuilt one.