'01 Jetta will not start hot, ideas?

five7driver

TDI
2001 Jetta, 2004 Jetta, 2008 Jetta (totaled), 2011 Jetta
I’ve been battling a no-hot-start problem for about two months now and I’m completely out of ideas, so I’ll throw it out for all to take a stab at. The car is an ’01 Jetta, automatic, with 198 K miles. Greasecar conversion. No history for this problem, all routine maintenance performed.
When started cold it cranks right up (2 second crank) and idles smoothly. When at operating temperature it absolutely refuses to start and has even begun cutting off when idling in traffic. Starter turns (320 rpm), but no start, and no smoke from the tailpipe. It appears no fuel is being commanded by the ECM from the IP, which leads me to think: bad sensor somewhere, bad ECM, bad IP, or bad wiring somewhere.
Here is what has been done/checked so far:
· Fuel system: new filter, good check valve in tank, all lines clear, flows freely. (In fact I have completely ruled out the fuel system by feeding from a small cheater bottle and completely bypassing the fuel systems, D2 and VO)
· Sensors: New fuel temp sensor, new ECT sender, new crank position sensor, MAF swapped out with a known good one, no effect. Anti shudder valve open.
· Injection pump: all new gaskets, including head gasket, new fuel shutoff solenoid, holds vacuum, so no leaks suspected.
· Electrical: all fuses and grounds check good, relay 109 replaced with no effect, found chaffed wiring to crank pos sensor and overlaid with all new wires with no effect.
· ECM: does not get overly hot, no electrical smells, did a “refrigeration test” by removing it while car was hot and cooling it down in the refrigerator and reinstalling after 15 minutes (it was cold to the touch), all with no effect.
· Some VCDS values: IQ 3.0, Start of Inj. specified: .4 BTDC, actual:2.4 BTDC, Air Mass specified: 255 mg/str, actual: 495 mg/str (egr is deleted). Timing is near the top of the range (advanced).
Did I miss anything? Sorry for such a lengthy post, but I figured I’d get all the info out there so someone can lend some useful ideas. Anyone?

five7driver

TDI
2001 Jetta, 2004 Jetta, 2008 Jetta (totaled), 2011 Jetta
Problem solved

Well, since I received no replies to this post I had to tackle this one on my own.

In the final analysis it turned out to be a worn out injection pump. Pulled the pump and sent it to DFIS in Portland for a rebuild. Got it back a week later and it's like driving a new car--all fuel/engine related problems are completely resolved and the car runs like it's brand new. Kudos to Mark and all the guys (and gals!) at DFIS for a job well done. They were efficient, courteous, and very helpful on the phone, not to mention the superior job they did with the rebuild. I can't recommend them enough for this service. For a $700 rebuild (including shipping) I now have a new Jetta.

Some further info: Mark stated to me in his expert opinion that the rebuild for these pumps averages between 200-250K miles (contrary to some opinions on this forum that suggest these pumps are invincible). My pump had right at 200K on it so I don't think that I shortened it's life appreciably with the veg oil, and since I saved about $5,000 in fuel costs over the last 5 years I'd say it was well worth it. (Now I'll go duck for cover and watch the opinions fly.....)