What 5 cylinder dmf choice

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
My options are now running out with the flywheel choice as there doesn't seem that much availiable:(
The oe 228mm lux/friction plateon my 2006 had only lasted 13000 miles and was replaced by an upgraded sachs with 4 paddle splinter which has only lasted 3000 miles. Now do I try the Valeo/ or any other option?
There doesn"t seem to be a smf availiable and I don't really want to rebuld the gearbox again as I've heard of the sm being a bit harsh on the gears with a 5 pot, Im only running around 430ft lb and with the latest upgrades it might be on an increase but the balamcing company I'm using needs something with less movement than I currently have.
Any suggestions :) other than don't run that much torque.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Reports of gearbox problems with SMFs mostly come from 01E transmissions. Your T5 should come with an MQ350 (02M/02Q) or MQ500 (0A6). Read [486]'s thread about the latter gearbox. You should be able to fit a 240mm SMF in there. I'm afraid that due to the nature of how they work DMFs will inevitably have an upper limit of torque capacity before they give way. 5-cylinder aluminum block TDIs already have a torsional vibration damper system integrated to the power takeoff of the crankshaft.

Edit: By virtue of being used with the RS2 and crazy 5-pot turbo Audi builds, you might have a better chance of finding a clutch that will hold up to the torque in the 240mm format. Or have [486] custom-fabricate a multi-disc clutch for you.

Last edited:

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Reports of gearbox problems with SMFs mostly come from 01E transmissions. Your T5 should come with an MQ350 (02M/02Q) or MQ500 (0A6). Read [486]'s thread about the latter gearbox. You should be able to fit a 240mm SMF in there. I'm afraid that due to the nature of how they work DMFs will inevitably have an upper limit of torque capacity before they give way. 5-cylinder aluminum block TDIs already have a torsional vibration damper system integrated to the power takeoff of the crankshaft.

Edit: By virtue of being used with the RS2 and crazy 5-pot turbo Audi builds, you might have a better chance of finding a clutch that will hold up to the torque in the 240mm format. Or have [486] custom-fabricate a multi-disc clutch for you.
Thanks for the reply
I have already tryed to get a twin disk setup done by one of the uk clutch/gearbox companies and it was supposed to be done by now, he has a problem with extra weight and the tower height which I find rather strange as I sent him my current setup back in October. The paddle certainly bites in and the clutch doesn't slip like it used to when at the sweet spot so the dmf is the next weak link.
The balancing company when I went to see them yesterday said that the torque damper is one that they had not come across before as there is no pully on the end of the crank and the torque damper sitsin the sump towards the end where the pully would have gone, they also mentioned that the gearbox would probably fail at around 5k.
I have seen 486's build thread and I;m impressed by his skills but I was kind of hoping for an off shelf solution which isn't going to happen, I suspect. I also think 486 hasn't enough time to do his own project let alone making me a setup:)

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
You should be able to find an off-the-shelf SMF solution in 240mm that will hold without trouble.

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Still looking for a smf solution unless I build one. My current dmf has lasted 1900 miles.:(