Where's the 2-door...and where's the manual shift transmissions.

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I saw the discussion on the disappearing availability of manual transmissions. I'm with the unhappy on that one.

But also, where are the 2-door models?

Even at 6'5" my 2-door Golf TDI (manual transmission!) allows me very easy entrance and exit. What a great car.

Now suddenly, I won't be able to get a 2-door VW - in any model - that is manual shift. Even the Beetle no longer offers manual shift. IF I wanted a Beetle I'll have to buy an automatic transmission gas burning model.

This may sound foolish but my present GOLF TDI is the automobile I've waited on for decades. A smaller car with...the ease of a large driver door for excellent entrance and exit...manual transmission (for obvious reasons)...diesel engine that gives me excellent mpg even in city (and 60 mpg on a cross country trip a few years ago). The diesel TAUGHT me what torque was about, too. Even with 4 people in the car it doesn't struggle. And...and...IT DOESN'T FEEL LIKE A TIN CAN like 99% of small cars.

Now with the increasingly limited choices from VW I may be have to buy something else. Color me VERY DISAPPOINTED.

(Rational tirade over. Expletives omitted for proper presentation and discourse.)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
That would be my advice, but the A6's and A7's just scare me to death in regards to bank account depleting repairs. My A5 BRM? It's going to be in the stable a long time.:cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've owned two 2-door Golfs and although I'm sorry to see them go away, I wouldn't buy another 2-door car unless it was a 2 seater. If I'd gotten a 4-door when I bought my '12 I probably would still have it. I find I just put too much stuff (not people) in the back seat to not have a door to access it. You obviously have a different view, but unfortunately few buyers agree with you. Hence fewer 2-door cars. Same with manuals, although I do prefer manuals.

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
The gas Sportwagen that I just bought replaced my 07 two door Rabbit/Golf. That was the last two door car I have ever bought. The wide doors were such a pain to open in the garage.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
The last 2-door manual Golf TDI

I saw the discussion on the disappearing availability of manual transmissions. I'm with the unhappy on that one.
Even at 6'5" my 2-door Golf TDI (manual transmission!) allows me very easy entrance and exit. What a great car.
Now suddenly, I won't be able to get a 2-door VW - in any model - that is manual shift. Even the Beetle no longer offers manual shift. IF I wanted a Beetle I'll have to buy an automatic transmission gas burning model.
This may sound foolish but my present GOLF TDI is the automobile I've waited on for decades. A smaller car with...the ease of a large driver door for excellent entrance and exit...manual transmission (for obvious reasons)...diesel engine that gives me excellent mpg even in city (and 60 mpg on a cross country trip a few years ago). The diesel TAUGHT me what torque was about, too. Even with 4 people in the car it doesn't struggle. And...and...IT DOESN'T FEEL LIKE A TIN CAN like 99% of small cars.
Now with the increasingly limited choices from VW I may be have to buy something else. Color me VERY DISAPPOINTED.
(Rational tirade over. Expletives omitted for proper presentation and discourse.)
The last 2-door manual Golf TDI imported to the US was Dec. 31 2012. I got mine on March 9, 2013; it was shipped to dealer before the deadline. I'll keep it until Dec. 2018 before I reluctantly give it back to VW (Buyback). I don't know about non-TDI Golf.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.

I would keep your current 2 door.

As someone who's very long in the torso, the Mk7 has very noticeably less headroom than the mk6...

I'd hang onto that mk6 for all it was worth being a larger build.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I would keep your current 2 door.
As someone who's very long in the torso, the Mk7 has very noticeably less headroom than the mk6...
I'd hang onto that mk6 for all it was worth being a larger build.
I agree with this. The MKVII feels like a smaller car than the VI, especially in height. I'm a small person so that works for me, but I imagine taller folks will notice the decrease in headroom. Even I notice the lower windshield header.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Heh, I thought it was just me. Glad I am not the only one who felt the 7 lost a wee bit of height.

Of course, still better than a lot of other small cars out there.

The pros and cons of 2dr vs. 4dr were made pretty clear to me some years back when I had a '95 2dr Golf and wife had a '95 4dr Golf.

2dr easier to get in and out of due to the larger opening, but obviously the door swings further so parking in lots or against curbs, buildings, etc. meant a little more care need be taken. The 2dr was also much better to SEE out of since the B-pillar is so much further back. When I sit in the 4dr cars (I even notice this on my '00) when I look to the side, I see the pillar. This of course only is something taller people would have to deal with.

I still think if I had to choose, I think I'd like the 2dr for my own personal transport. And that is largely due to the fact that I hardly ever have anyone in the rear seat. I rarely ever park next to anything, and I hardly ever park on any streets. And I am not in and out of the car a whole lot on my regular drives. Only downside is the door hinges are taxed more. :(

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Heh, I thought it was just me. Glad I am not the only one who felt the 7 lost a wee bit of height.

Of course, still better than a lot of other small cars out there.

The pros and cons of 2dr vs. 4dr were made pretty clear to me some years back when I had a '95 2dr Golf and wife had a '95 4dr Golf.

2dr easier to get in and out of due to the larger opening, but obviously the door swings further so parking in lots or against curbs, buildings, etc. meant a little more care need be taken. The 2dr was also much better to SEE out of since the B-pillar is so much further back. When I sit in the 4dr cars (I even notice this on my '00) when I look to the side, I see the pillar. This of course only is something taller people would have to deal with.

I still think if I had to choose, I think I'd like the 2dr for my own personal transport. And that is largely due to the fact that I hardly ever have anyone in the rear seat. I rarely ever park next to anything, and I hardly ever park on any streets. And I am not in and out of the car a whole lot on my regular drives. Only downside is the door hinges are taxed more. :(
I have noticed on the Mk6 2 doors that the B pillar is really, really large. If you're the type of person who checks blind spots via looking over your shoulder, you won't be able to see anything.

So, just get used to having your mirrors adjusted to your blind spots instead. :D