Chicago 2009 TDI Owners: Non-Biodiesel Support Group

Staggerlee

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
BTL said:
Agree...Bio is the real ticket out away from the city.

Found another petro station, I think.....Plainfield, Rt.59 and Renwick Road, Phillips 66. Labeled ULSD, no bio sticker, but pumps are pre pay only. Would be a station of last resort for me. That's two Phillips stations near me with no bio sticker, which leads me to believe maybe they are truly petro, as the pumps are clean and clearly labeled otherwise.

BTW...my best on a half tank in my '09 was 382 miles, believe it or not.
Am out in the same area of sorts. Is it the Citgo or Thornton's out there that has it?

Have been filling up at 59 & Ogden, though there are a few in the area....

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
All the Thornton's I've seen in the Joliet/Plainfield area are labelled 6-20% Bio. I doubt any are different in the area. I think the station he's referring to is on the northeast corner of 59/Renwick. Pumps are all the way on the north end. Check to be sure though!

Jetta09Chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Feece Oil Co. REMOVED from List

Thanks to CornfieldCraig for correcting his post with the news that Feece Oil Co. (Batavia, Minooka and Ottawa locations) actually sells biodiesel during the summer. I have updated the master list to reflect this change.

If anyone edits prior postings in a way that should trigger a change to the master list, please also add a new posting at the end of this thread. I try to check this forum everyday, but I usually only skim the last two pages.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions. Please keep them coming. We still need some petrodiesel stations in the City of Chicago. I'm beginning to think they don't exist.

nibw

TDI
JSW
I fueled at the BP on Ashland and Fullerton (1607 W FULLERTON AVE). Stickers marked ULSD and no Bio notice. I asked and no one knew. Since many BP at at least B5 I took a chance. Best luck I've had downtown area so far.

PalosParked

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW Black/Black, DSG, Panoramic Sunroof
Pilot Travel (and soon Flying J) sell B11 April thru Sept

Sorry guys for the misinformation....I just confirmed with the Pilot corporate diesel sales rep that All Pilots Travel centers in Illinois and Indianna sell B11 and will continue to do so...They are 'proud to be a green company'. I had to tell them that my TDI is green too, but I can't use their green fuel. Too much bio in there for us.:mad:

....She (PIlot) did tell me that they switch to diesel <6% for the winter months which for them begins in October and runs through March. She said that almost all their tanks turn over on a dialy basis so there is never any old fuel in there.

As far as the Flying J, it's still in bankruptcy court, but expect to see them switch to B11 also as Pilot takes over.:(

So...we're on a downward trend. Atlas oil sent me a listing of all their locations. Almost 100 of them in Illinois. As soon as I figure out which ones still sell diesel I'll post again. So far I've only confirmed 5 diesel locations..3 of which are already posted and nothing downtown or northward.

Last edited:

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
no need to apoligize. misinformation will happen, and it's up to us to identify it ASAP. a station that has BXX today could have pure D2 next month. and likewise, a station that has pure D2 today could have BXX next month

[rant]

I envision a perfect world where: everyone drives TDIs, straight 49+ cetane D2 comes from every station's pumps, and ASTM B99 is available from distributors for blending at the station or at home :D

I'm getting fed up with Illinois. why all the malarkey? just for some tax benefits no doubt... wouldn't it be nice if there were 2 varieties: D2 or B99. if you want a different blend: blend it yourself! :mad:

problem solved :cool:

[/rant] :p

PalosParked

Veteran Member
TDI
Sip'n Diesel said:
no need to apoligize. misinformation will happen, and it's up to us to identify it ASAP. a station that has BXX today could have pure D2 next month. and likewise, a station that has pure D2 today could have BXX next month

I envision a perfect world where: everyone drives TDIs, straight 49+ cetane D2 comes from every station's pumps, and ASTM B99 is available from distributors for blending at the station or at home :D

I'm getting fed up with Illinois. why all the malarkey? just for some tax benefits no doubt... wouldn't it be nice if there were 2 varieties: D2 or B99. if you want a different blend: blend it yourself! :mad:

problem solved :cool:

[/rant] :p
Thanks for that sip'n...Yes I'm down...I had my hopes set up too high with Pilot.

It's hard to describe the fits of emotion you feel as you cry out in almost inhuman, blood curdling glee and laughter when you finally come upon someone who can confirm (in english) that they are selling D2.
.... and then there is the dismay in rejection.
.... BUT I forgot about the progress that we've made. So I 'll go back to this: (click here)

The future's not ours to see. Let's see if we can hang in there until VW authorizes an 'OK to use higher bio content blended diesel'.

:)

Last edited:

PalosParked

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are four more D#2 BP locations supplied by Atlas Oil Co which uses BP diesel from Whiting IN: ...Sad...out of 90+ stations only 7 have diesel fuel. 3 have already been posted. Here are the rest. All south end. Maybe Texor and Parent Petrolium will report to us soon.

B P Amoco
9900 S Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60628-1036
(773) 429-9138

BP
3047 S Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60608-5804
(312) 842-0180

BP
4701 S Central
Forest View, IL 60638-1530
(708) 924-1553

BP 312 E Jefferson Str
Shorewood, IL 60404
(815) 725-1658

Jetta09Chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Finally . . . Confirmed City Petrodiesel!

Hey, PalosParked . . . You get a gold star for submitting the first confirmed non-bio stations within Chicago's city limits. Congratulations!

When I look back over several recent postings about Chicago stations, we see examples of people encountering a non-labeled pump and taking a gamble, since the station employees are unaware. Even worse, we have a reported "false negative" of the Mobil on Irving Park Road near I-90 where the manager confirmed they are selling biodiesel from non-lableled pumps. (Thanks to nibw for that info!)

Because of this, I agree with your suggestion that every diesel pump should be labeled. Just as gasoline purchasers have a right to know the octane level, so too diesel drivers ought to know the level of bio content.

nibw

TDI
JSW
Jetta09, I have come across quite a few in the city with stickers but a few marked not. I'll certainly continue the search. Luckily made it to the Des Plaines oasis at about 1/2 tank for D2. Just in case.
If Diesel is this inconsistent in Illinois I can only imagine what people are actually putting in there cars for gas!

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 PGM Jetta TDI Premium DSG
The scary part is there WILL come a day when Petro D2 will be pretty much impossible to find. As a result, those of us with 09's and up will have to put B11 in them. Guess we'll all be one big experiment.

I tend to agree that there is likely some margin of error, so B11 might be just find. Until I have to, I won't be experimenting, however.

lorloff

TDI
I'm relative new, just on my 2nd tank on my TDI. I understand we're not supposed to use >B5, but it really won't cause an issue in 1 tank, right? It would be prolonged use that would cause the problem, if I understand correctly. Everyone seems to say if you change oil at 5k it should be ok. Sorry I'm such a newbie :D

PalosParked

Veteran Member
TDI
lorloff said:
I'm relative new, just on my 2nd tank on my TDI. I understand we're not supposed to use >B5, but it really won't cause an issue in 1 tank, right? It would be prolonged use that would cause the problem, if I understand correctly. Everyone seems to say if you change oil at 5k it should be ok. Sorry I'm such a newbie :D
lorloff...Hello, welcome to the club/ thread. My guess is that almost everyone here has had a tank of B11 (or two). If you should fill with B11 and are concerned, run down a few gallons then fill'er up again with Diesel #2. The (diluted) % will go down. FWIW..I may have had some B11 in there:eek: . I did an oil analysis at 5500 miles that showed no trace of fuel in the oil. Oil change at 5000 miles is another issue entirely.
On another note.....I have been in email contact with Jess Hewitt, Hyperfuels. (synthetic diesel racing fuels) He called Pilot for us and confirms B11 in summer months. For you 'downstate' TDIers, heads up! Flying J is already asking for diodiesel supplies. Time to remove Flying J from our map.

lorloff

TDI
I'm going to check out a couple of diesel stations tomorrow to see if they can be added to the maps

Marathon - right by golf and higgins intersection
800 W Golf Rd
Schaumburg, IL 60194

The other is

Mobil
1706 Algonquin Rd
Hoffman Estates, IL

I'll let you guys know if they are bio or not.

CornfieldCraig

TDI
09 Jetta 6-spd manual
Woodman's at Hanson Blvd & Orchard Road in North Aurora, 1/2 mile N of I-88 has 100% petrodiesel -- and usually at a great price. In mid-July, I paid $2.25 when everywhere else it was $2.55. Gigantic, low-priced grocery store with a similarly large and low-priced liquor department.

The downsides are:

Only 1 pump, but at least it's apart from the gas pumps, so no one pumping gasoline gets in the way.

Pre-Pay, cash or check only. This means a minimum of two trips to the cashier if you want a 100% fill. What a PITB! There's usually only one cashier, too. There's a no-fee ATM at least.

151 Hansen Blvd
North Aurora, IL 60542-8986
(630) 723-3900
Get Directions

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
CornfieldCraig said:
Woodman's at Hanson Blvd & Orchard Road in North Aurora, 1/2 mile N of I-88...
Gigantic, low-priced grocery store with a similarly large and low-priced liquor department.
Now that's the kind of useful information I like to see! ;)

I've still got five bucks in my back pocket toward a UOA for anyone wanting to see if B11 causes any fuel dilution issues - I'll even throw in the sampling kit and use of my pump. I understand y'all wanting to do things by the book, but considering VW's track record of the book being wrong... well. I know what fuel I would run in my DPF-equipped TDI, if I had one.

I do wholeheartedly agree that the real issue here is one of non- or mis-labeling pumps. If I'm buying fuel I want to know what I'm getting! Why this seems to be such a PITA is beyond me - (most) gas stations wouldn't dare have 87/89/91 octane unlabeled. Why are they acting differently for D2 or B5 or B11?

lorloff

TDI
Neither had the 6-20% stickers. Mobil is petro, so they say. Marathon didn't know, but seeing other marathon stations on there, I'd say it's ok. Both had USLD stickers on them though.

lorloff said:
I'm going to check out a couple of diesel stations tomorrow to see if they can be added to the maps

Marathon - right by golf and higgins intersection
800 W Golf Rd
Schaumburg, IL 60194

The other is

Mobil
1706 Algonquin Rd
Hoffman Estates, IL

I'll let you guys know if they are bio or not.

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
I tend to agree with Scurvy. I honestly feel like B11 would be just fine, but until I either have to or really get the guts, I won't be trying it.

I'll most likely be sticking to 5-7.5k oil changes anyway, so I think it would be even less of an issue. After extensive research, I feel as if B11 will not grenade the DPF. IF anything, it might be a dilution issue. However, at such a relatively low concentration like B11, I am not even sure dilution is a huge issue.

Decisions...decisions...

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
lorloff said:
Neither had the 6-20% stickers. Mobil is petro, so they say. Marathon didn't know, but seeing other marathon stations on there, I'd say it's ok. Both had USLD stickers on them though.
The two Marathon stations close to my house gave me some really crappy mileage when I filled up there. Car ran a bit rougher as well.

PalosParked

Veteran Member
TDI
Luvemybug... have you tried any of the Kwik Trips in Wisconsin?
I talked with their Marketing mgr (milwaukee office) some time ago. He told me that all their diesel up there was petro diesel. Minnesota is B5 state mandated. Iowa could be D#2 or B5. They even put out maps of their diesel fuel station locations and larger travel locations in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa.
God, I wish it was as easy for us down here in Illinois. ....they need to make a crying similey for us to use here on this thread.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
PalosParked said:
Luvemybug... have you tried any of the Kwik Trips in Wisconsin?
I talked with their Marketing mgr (milwaukee office) some time ago. He told me that all their diesel up there was petro diesel. Minnesota is B5 state mandated. Iowa could be D#2 or B5. They even put out maps of their diesel fuel station locations and larger travel locations in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa.
God, I wish it was as easy for us down here in Illinois. ....they need to make a crying similey for us to use here on this thread.
The Kwik Trip in Burlington is the one I usually fill up at. It's a pretty busy station and it seems they have a pretty good turnover of fuel. The two Marathons I was talking about, one is in WI, the other in IL. The first one is by New Munster at Hwy 83 and Hwy 50 between Kenosha and Lake Geneva. The other one is a bit NW of Fox Lake, IL. It's at Hwy 173 and Wilmot Rd. East of Richmond, IL, and west of Antioch, IL. As I posted earlier, the BP station just off of Hwy 12 in Genoa City, WI, actually posts proudly on their sign that they have no biofuel in their diesel. That's just over the border from Richmond, IL. I've also filled up a few times in the past at the Speedway at I94 and Hwy 50 in Kenosha. Got pretty good fuel from there. Also, the BP station about a half mile from my house has given me pretty good results. I haven't filled up in MN since they went to the B5 blends. I know with the B2 blends, my car did seem to run a little quieter. Be interested to see how it reacts to the B5.

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
Are we sure all speedways are bio blend? Pump in Crest Hill, Rt 30/Caton Farm has ULSD label, but nothing about bio....

PalosParked

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Lovemybug...I added to the google map...the BP in Genoa City with signs 'no bio'. They get an A+ for labeling. I like it when they tell you what you're 'not' getting!

BP
100 Elizabeth Ln
Genoa City, WI 53128
(262) 279-0123

I tend to believe that all the speedways in Illinois supply B11 in the summertime and may convert to D2-B5 for winter. I'm leary of stations that do that. Who knows how good or bad they are with their labeling.

I didn't realize that there were Speedways in Wisconsin. Maybe Speedways in Wisconsin stick to D2 year round? I don't have a clue. Wisconsin has no tax incentive for Bio use that I know of yet. So, they may find the D#2 cheaper to sell up there.

The Marathons from what I can tell are independently owned/operated so it really depends on who they contract to buy their fuel from as to if they sell bio or not. It's on a station by station basis. I added a couple of Marathons on the south side (Chicago) because the fuel distributor confirmed the diesel grade.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Yah, there's lots of Speedway stores in Wisconsin. It's actually harder to find a station selling biodiesel in Wisconsin than it is to find a station selling petro-diesel in Illinois, imo, and the ones that do sell biodiesel actually advertise that fact..

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
Had a good conversation with dzcad when he was at my house today. Thanks, Don! Anyway, we both agree that petro will be nearly impossible to find in the very near future, at least in IL. We're also both of the opinion that B11 should not be a major issue, especially if OCI is reduced, which I plan on anyway. I mean, how many non enthusiast TDI owners just fill up with whatever diesel is at their local station?

Again, I doubt B11 is going to cause MAJOR issues. I am not worried about the DPF. Maybe fuel dilution, but again, at reduced OCI, this is much less of a factor. Just preparing for the future! :)

PalosParked

Veteran Member
TDI
BP AM-PM locations in Chicago area selling D#2

From BP Global Fuels Technology - Naperville 8-4-09
It looks like we will be unable to provide a list of company operated sites that would sell bio-free diesel fuel. The problem is that the few remaining Chicagoland sites that we have which may sell diesel will most likely be sold (or are in the process of) to our marketing partners at some point who will then start using B11. So any list that we could provide for you would soon be inaccurate and out of date.
The best that we can do is to tell you that any BP station that has an AM/PM store and will have bio-free diesel fuel.
Sorry for not being able to provide all that you needed.
Thank you Rick!
These locations are from the BP station locator site. I only found 4 AMPM locations in our area with diesel listed. But we can add three more locations to our resource list. (Roselle is already listed). I called all three locations. Yes, all have confirmed ‘regular’ diesel (non bio) at their locations.
BP AMPM
1221 S WABASH AVE
CHICAGO 60605
Tel: 312-566-0067
BP AMPM
550 N RT 83
BENSENVILLE 60106
Tel: 630-766-2790
BP AMPM
601 E DEVON
ELK GROVE VILLAGE 60007
Tel: 847-860-8735
We have already listed this one:
BP AMPM
5 W IRVING PARK RD
ROSELLE 60172
Tel: 630-893-5693

Last edited:

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI..it's already on the list, but I HAD to fillup at the Mobil on Orchard and Rt.34 in Oswego today. No Bio sticker, receipt said "D2 Diesel" whereas another mobile said "B11 D2."

Only put 5 gallons in, so even if it was B11, no biggie.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
BTL said:
FYI..it's already on the list, but I HAD to fillup at the Mobil on Orchard and Rt.34 in Oswego today. No Bio sticker, receipt said "D2 Diesel" whereas another mobile said "B11 D2."

Only put 5 gallons in, so even if it was B11, no biggie.
I was right out there in early June.. (June 1 according to Fuelly :) ) and there's a Meijer right there as well. I was on fumes and I was so glad to at least see a Meijer there.

Good to know there's options in Oswego.