www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

View Poll Results: What interests you about this thread?
Technical info on this car 1 50.00%
First person accounts of a new owner 2 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:03   #406
2004PassatTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivbiwire View Post
do not change it sooner!

8.5 liters of oil, double of what a v8 has and the oil is designed to easily go well over 20,000 on a change.

Early changes wear the motor out faster, fact!
10.4 !
985.4 MAX Miles on 1 Vented Tank. Eibach Lowering Springs, Bilstein HD, Neuspeed RSB, RC2, www.speedhut.com boost gauge. Zender Rear Lip Spoiler, Balance Shaft upgrade, CAT back, Hot air delete, LED interior lights.
2004PassatTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:35   #407
2004PassatTDI
Veteran Member

In 1-month I have put on about 4,000 miles. In all that time, it used about 1.25-gallons of DEF.What's up with that?Granted most of the driving was highway, but what the heck is only 1.25-gallons going to do?0.0003125-gallons per mile.Or 28.41 drops per mile (assuming 90,921.8 drops per gallon).

How many of you accidently hit the cruise control instead of the turn signal? I've done that enough times to curse.Also, what's up with the 5 MPH increments?Who comes up with that?Annoying!

The car is equipped with driver monitor that will suggest you to pull over and take a rest. After 100 miles, it came on while I was drinking a coffee.You cancel the on screen message by touching the "Ok" button and then clicking "no" on the command screen, since the Nav wants to find you the nearest Star Bucks.It did this 4 times an hour.Annoying!

I have been putting 2-cycle oil in the 2004 Passat TDI. Will I damage anything by doing the same with the Merc?What about adding MOS2 Moly to the engine oil?Early on I went to the 5-40 in the Passat.Passat has 210,000 miles with original cam.Is there an advantage in going with a 5-40 weight oil in the Merc?

Thank you for all replies,
Ernst
985.4 MAX Miles on 1 Vented Tank. Eibach Lowering Springs, Bilstein HD, Neuspeed RSB, RC2, www.speedhut.com boost gauge. Zender Rear Lip Spoiler, Balance Shaft upgrade, CAT back, Hot air delete, LED interior lights.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 16:28   #408
jnecr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40ish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004PassatTDI View Post
I have been putting 2-cycle oil in the 2004 Passat TDI. Will I damage anything by doing the same with the Merc?
Your Merc has a lot of additional emissions equipment over the Passat. I would definitely NOT put 2-cycle oil in your car.

jnecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 17:16   #409
ktr

Quote:
In 1-month I have put on about 4,000 miles. In all that time, it used about 1.25-gallons of DEF.What's up with that?Granted most of the driving was highway, but what the heck is only 1.25-gallons going to do?0.0003125-gallons per mile.Or 28.41 drops per mile (assuming 90,921.8 drops per gallon).
That's normal. DEF consumption is not completely proportional to fuel consumption. Factors like driving behavior and temperature plays a big part (e.g. stop-n-go and cold weather results in higher DEF consumption).

Quote:
How many of you accidently hit the cruise control instead of the turn signal? I've done that enough times to curse.Also, what's up with the 5 MPH increments?Who comes up with that?Annoying!
Yes, I have done this several times in the first week of owning the car. However, I have the pre-facelift W212, which has the cruise control stalk above the turn signal/wiper stalk (confusing coming from any other car brand). If I am not mistaken, MB swapped the positions of the stalks on the post-facelift W212 (your car).

As for the cruise control increments, there are two pressure inputs. A light/brief tap is for 1 MPH increment.
ktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 21:56   #410
ssamalin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnecr View Post
Your Merc has a lot of additional emissions equipment over the Passat. I would definitely NOT put 2-cycle oil in your car.
X2. Only MB 229.51 standard oil under warranty; and probably MB 229.51 fully synthetic low ash diesel oil after.

Last edited by ssamalin; May 24th, 2017 at 05:20.
ssamalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 22:15   #411
ssamalin
Veteran Member

Quote:

The car is equipped with driver monitor that will suggest you to pull over and take a rest. After 100 miles, it came on while I was drinking a coffee.You cancel the on screen message by touching the "Ok" button and then clicking "no" on the command screen, since the Nav wants to find you the nearest Star Bucks.It did this 4 times an hour.Annoying!

I have been putting 2-cycle oil in the 2004 Passat TDI. Will I damage anything by doing the same with the Merc?What about adding MOS2 Moly to the engine oil?Early on I went to the 5-40 in the Passat.Passat has 210,000 miles with original cam.Is there an advantage in going with a 5-40 weight oil in the Merc?

Thank you for all replies,
Ernst
Yea, I hit the wiper or the cruise at first, less often now. The monitor system as you called it is the "Attention Assist" feature. It can be disabled with the command system. It checks if you vary your speed or swerve as if you were getting sleepy. Use only MB 229.51 oil if under warranty, and probably after too. Are you still on run flats? I switched to Michelin Primacy MO. What's the car like on the road?

Last edited by ssamalin; May 24th, 2017 at 16:59.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 22:31   #412
ssamalin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktr View Post
That's normal. DEF consumption is not completely proportional to fuel consumption. Factors like driving behavior and temperature plays a big part (e.g. stop-n-go and cold weather results in higher DEF consumption).
Yes, I have done this several times in the first week of owning the car. However, I have the pre-facelift W212, which has the cruise control stalk above the turn signal/wiper stalk (confusing coming from any other car brand). If I am not mistaken, MB swapped the positions of the stalks on the post-facelift W212 (your car).
As for the cruise control increments, there are two pressure inputs. A light/brief tap is for 1 MPH increment.
Thanks for the info. I have played with the cruise a lot to try to get 1 mph. I'll try it again now.
Old Yesterday, 06:43   #413
2004PassatTDI
Veteran Member

Drivbiwire/jnecr/ktr,

Thank you for the informative replies. 8.5 liters sure is a lot of oil.
I understand about the more complex emissions equipment not playing well with the 2-cycle oil, but what about adding Power Service (white or silver bottle)?

Sam - I still have the run flat tires, but will change them when they are worn-out. Car currently has 25,000 miles.The car drives great at highway and above speeds.Very smooth running with regard to engine vibration (none) and ride.Drove it 985 miles in one day coming back from Florida.

Ernst
Old Yesterday, 07:33   #414
ssamalin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire View Post
DO NOT change it sooner!
8.5 liters of oil, double of what a V8 has and the oil is designed to easily go well over 20,000 on a change.
Early changes wear the motor out faster, FACT!
X2. MB 229.51 standard oil under warranty per 10K miles.

Last edited by ssamalin; Yesterday at 07:36.
Old Yesterday, 07:37   #415
ssamalin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Drivbiwire/jnecr/ktr,

Thank you for the informative replies. 8.5 liters sure is a lot of oil.
I understand about the more complex emissions equipment not playing well with the 2-cycle oil, but what about adding Power Service (white or silver bottle)?

Sam - I still have the run flat tires, but will change them when they are worn-out. Car currently has 25,000 miles.The car drives great at highway and above speeds.Very smooth running with regard to engine vibration (none) and ride.Drove it 985 miles in one day coming back from Florida.

Ernst
I'd use PS if I had to have anti-gel somewhere where the fuel was bad and it was 10 below zero. Otherwise not. 25k is enough for run flats. Get some Michelin Primacy MO. If you have to jam on your brakes at speed in the rain some day you'll be glad you did. First get a wheel and tire spare and a Mercedes jack. Mercedes has a doughnut if you'd rather. I have a full size that takes up a lot of trunk I got from Tirerack. Yea the ride is fantastic. Going over the bottom out dips in the road is no-sweat, no bottom out and no being catapulted into the roof. There's no body roll on sharp turns. Mercedes is known for this kind of ride.

Last edited by ssamalin; Yesterday at 07:58.
Old Today, 07:06   #416
ezshift5
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Please note Fuelly...........

I now have a MB alongside my JSW TDI 6M. 250, 4-cylinder (not a diesel)....................

How can I best identify run flats?

ez
Old Today, 07:27   #417
ssamalin
Veteran Member

Not sure I get your question. The MBE250BT comes with run flats and no spare or jack. The run flats mine came with were inferior rated traction wise, even among run flats. Mine came with I think Bridgestones or something. I really dislike their road feel too, they had a deadening clunk on the freeways. Run flats are stiffer side wall and wear out faster (due to softer tread?) If you're not sure if your tires are run flats, I guess the easiest way to tell is look them up on Tirerack, or google them. I also wanted a spare and jack no matter what.

https://www.edmunds.com/driving-tips...-a-primer.html
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ires/index.htm

Last edited by ssamalin; Today at 07:47.
Old Today, 09:20   #418
ssamalin
Veteran Member

Default No more ever

YSpoke to my dealer: no more USA diesels ever he says. Not a good sign I guess. I'll have start hoarding these suckers.

Last edited by ssamalin; Today at 09:26.
Old Today, 11:04   #419
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamalin View Post
YSpoke to my dealer: no more USA diesels ever he says. Not a good sign I guess. I'll have start hoarding these suckers.
He may be right, but he doesn't know. I doubt Mercedes corporate is sharing that kind of information with dealers.