Wagon Hatch Release

pmm

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Hello All,
I'm a new owner of a 2013 Jetta SportWagen TDI. I bought this car with about 32k miles and have put about 2k on since November. The car is great, gets excellent mileage and cruises like a dream. I do have one nagging issue though:
The hatch release seems to intermittently not work correctly. The motor always releases the pin, but from time to time the hatch itself doesn't raise enough off of the latching mechanism to stay "open". It will act as though it fell back onto the mechanism and partially latched so that it can't be lifted. Like when you close a door too softly. This happens both when using the FOB and the switch on the driver's door.
It's nothing to do with the motor or the switches because if I stand there (probably in the rain) and lift up on the hatch handle as it's releasing it works fine. Is there anything in this system that acts to lift the hatch off of the latch? I've noticed that the gas struts are a little weak but I don't think those play any part in lifting the hatch for that first inch or two off of the latch.
I hope I'm explaining this well, any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I had a similar problem on my 05 Passat. The mechanical lever that activates the microswitch had a broken tab on one end of the lever. Maybe yours is different?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I would start with the struts. On my ‘05 gas beetle, i adjusted the screws on the hinges helping it to pop up a bit more and not relatch before i could open the hatch. After replacing the struts i had to redjust screws nevause it was so hard to close.