Online coolant heater

Grapeape

TDI
05 jetta tdi
It's been -30 here in southern Ontario and my 05 jetta diesel went start. I want to get an inline coolant heater I know people around these parts have them and they work. Does anyone know what my lower rad hose size is.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Unfortunately the lower rad hose style of coolant heater won't work on your TDI because of the location of the t-stat... you'd end up preheating the rad but the block would stay stone cold. :)

The style that will work plumbs into the oil cooler hose... a search on "Frostheater" (the commercial name of the complete kit with all the right hoses, clamps, and brackets) will give you hundreds of good threads with pictures, options, measurements, etc.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
don't put one in the radiator hose, put one in the oil cooler hose that leads up to the cylinder head
you want a "tank heater" with 5/8" ports

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Inline heater.... Frostheater is a TDIclub vendor here and his heaters are proven here. My heater has been in use for 18 years with no problems.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
another one of these threads again.
There are like 10 of them in the last 4 months. all about the same thing.
just do a search!
As for my preference, a freeze plug heater, if you have a freeze plug, unlike the ALH, or an oil pan heater. Id MUCH rather have Warm oil vs warm engine block coolant and ice cold oil. Isn't that the point to warming up the car to prevent damage? Both is best!