06 Jetta emissions workshop

blinkx

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI | RIP: MK4 Golf
Hi,

I have a relatively low mileage 06 Jetta that is showing "emissions workshop". What does that mean?

Also, would you guys recommend OBDEleven Pro as a troubleshooting tool to check codes or is there a better tool I should be looking at? or maybe one of the cheaper ODB bluetooth dongle things from Amazon?

Thanks,

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I would do either OBDELEVEN or VCDS. Until you have a way to check codes there is no way to know why you have an emissions workshop code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blinkx

TDI
I would do either OBDELEVEN or VCDS. Until you have a way to check codes there is no way to know why you have an emissions workshop code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know if I can clear codes using ODBeleven? I will just get this one...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Since it is an emission related problem, you can use any generic scan tool. Many auto parts store will scan your car for free and will print out the results for you. Do that and report back with codes.

Do not buy any parts yet based on the scan or the auto parts guys recommendations. All a code gives you is a place to start the diagnosis process to find out why the codes were set.

If you have a smart phone, buy one of these ELM 327 Blue Tooth adapters. https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=elm327+bluetooth&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 For very basic OBD2 diagnostics ELM 327 is just fine although OBD11 appears to have more features.

Last edited:

blinkx

TDI
Since it is an emission related problem, you can use any generic scan tool. Many auto parts store will scan your car for free and will print out the results for you. Do that and report back with codes.

Do not buy any parts yet based on the scan or the auto parts guys recommendations. All a code gives you is a place to start the diagnosis process to find out why the codes were set.

If you have a smart phone, buy one of these ELM 327 Blue Tooth adapters. https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=elm327+bluetooth&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 For very basic OBD2 diagnostics ELM 327 is just fine although OBD11 appears to have more features.

Thanks for the tips. I already ordered the scanner so once that arrives, I will scan and see what the codes are, do some googling/forum research before going to the shop. which mean, I will update this thread in a few weeks time....

Also, while that engine light is on, is my car's performance hindered?