Immediate help needed for purchase, please!!

bcfast

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT, 27k miles, Opera Red. Bone stock CPO car. Aquired 11/27/15
Ladies and gentlemen,
I'm in the middle of purchasing a 2016 Executive with 30k on it. I have been offered an aftermarket extended warranty for bumper to bumper coverage. In your experiences, is it necessary? Window motors, computers, a.c. compressors, etc.? Engine and transmission, fuel pump etc are covered...just worrying about the rest of it.
Thanks!

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Ladies and gentlemen,

I'm in the middle of purchasing a 2016 Executive with 30k on it. I have been offered an aftermarket extended warranty for bumper to bumper coverage. In your experiences, is it necessary? Window motors, computers, a.c. compressors, etc.? Engine and transmission, fuel pump etc are covered...just worrying about the rest of it.

Thanks!

I’d pass. You’ll have the 3 year new car warranty, plus the 10 year engine and emissions (dieselgate) warranty, already.

bcfast

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT, 27k miles, Opera Red. Bone stock CPO car. Aquired 11/27/15
Thanks...

3 years? It's got 30,000 miles on it now. Please educate me on this new car warranty....I remember that it's got 100k on the drivetrain plus the dieselgate out to 120k....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
One way or another the new car warranty is close to expiration. Is this from a dealer? Are they offering a CPO warranty? If not, ask for one. If yes, then the aftermarket warranty is redundant.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
3 years? It's got 30,000 miles on it now. Please educate me on this new car warranty....I remember that it's got 100k on the drivetrain plus the dieselgate out to 120k....

I’m sorry. I misread your original post. I’d still pass on an aftermarket warranty. But do your research. What has been fixed on the vehicle?

Put the money you don’t pay for the warranty into a fund for possible repairs.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
After market warranties are famous for their 'bustout' practices. They sell a bunch of warranties through various dealers - not necessarily new car dealers - and then, when claims start to come in they disappear; name gone, offices gone, phone numbers gone, etc. REALLY hard to collect on even a valid claim and the dealer who sold it claims "It wasn't us!"

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Just to be clear,VW did sell new 2016 TDIs after diesel gate that were never registered with a new car warranty. The car being discussed is a use car with only 6,000 left on the OEM warranty. The car does have THE 10YR 100mile emissions warranty.

How much do they want you to pay for 3yrs? My experience with 2 TREGs is they don't have much go wrong in the first 6yrs of life. Most of the issues are taken care of by VW.

bcfast

Veteran Member
TDI
Offered is a 96 month(8 years), 120,000 miles, bumper to bumper coverage with zero deductible for $3100. I figure a sunroof motor and an a/C compressor or a single computer and it's worth it. I just don't know how Tregs age...if there are inherent issues.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Offered is a 96 month(8 years), 120,000 miles, bumper to bumper coverage with zero deductible for $3100. I figure a sunroof motor and an a/C compressor or a single computer and it's worth it. I just don't know how Tregs age...if there are inherent issues.
We had an '09 Touareg TDI we bought CPO at about 23k miles, so it was covered bumper to bumper by factory out to almost 50k miles. Never having owned a vehicle that complicated or expensive to fix, we purchased a similar Fidelity warranty to what you describe, mainly out of concern for the HPFP issue. This was the first and only extended warranty we've ever purchased. We came close to breaking even but not quite. We now have a 2014 and chose not to get an extended warranty, especially since many high dollar issues are now covered by the extended emissions warranty. Our approach has returned to setting the money aside ourselves for possible future needs. If you haven't already, do some reading on ClubTouareg about common issues.

We all know that statistically we won't come out ahead with an extended warranty, otherwise they couldn't stay in business. It's just a question of which statistic each of us turns out to be.