Fuel injection pump leak

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 6spd conversion. 2001 Jetta, Alh, wife's car.
I know this has been discussed many times and i gained valuable info from the previous readings. I found good info and I was entertained by people trying to fix the leak by wiping sealer along the seam. Thanks to all that input on the subject.
My 97 Passat has developed a leak at the top cover of the injector pump. I have ordered the repair kit from bosch and found a socket to get the tamper proof bolt out. I cleaned the area very well to see exactly were the fuel was coming from. After thourgh cleaning I removed the top cover to find the o-ring that is probably the culprit.
My question is, can I also remove the injection quality section easily to replace the o-ring at that point. Or, are there a bunch of little pieces that are going to fall out of place? I see no leak at the base of the IQ block, but I read that leaks have occured here in the past.
I understand that removing the electrical block will require that it be carefully marked in place and that Vag-Com is required to set the IQ. i have access to Vag-com and a person who knows how to use it. I am just not sure what happens when you remove the IQ section. thanks for all and any input. Tim

Last edited:

Pillote

TDI
1998 Jetta
I just finished replacing the majority of my injector pump seals today. My suggestion is to replace the top most seal first. Once you have the vag com in hand, tackle the injection quantity block if you need to or desire to. The top seal is a 10 minute job and there are no small parts to drop or align. The IQ ajustment requires that you align a peg with a hole that you can not see, but there are no parts that will drop. It's scary, but not hard. It took me about 10 minutes to replace and one ajustment to dial in.

When doing the IQ ajustment, I used a marker and scrached the metal with a dental pick. It does require very precise adjusment to get it perfect, but the marker/scratch will get your car started when you are finished. Once you have the vag-com, follow the "hammer mod" technique to adjust to 4mg/stroke. Good luck and fear not. It's not difficult.

Last edited: