ProfBrown's 2015 GSW TDI Build

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, that's a pretty decent price on a 17" tire. I went through five sets on my golf. The original Continentals wore quite well (~40k miles) , but had pretty lackluster grip and were the worst all seasons in snow I've ever had. Then I got some very grippy & cheap summer tires, some Chinese brand, and those were a HUGE improvement in the grip department. But they were soft and barely made it through 20k miles. Tires are always a compromise between price, performance, and longevity.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
There's a lot of debate about tires, like oil, but the thing to remember is ratings and warranties are variable across the industry. The warranties and tread numbers aren't useful comparisons across companies.

I just ran outside to snap two pictures for you. One of these is an AVID with 50K on it and the other is an ADVAN with 15K on it.

The tire with 50K on it will have to be replaced due to age before mileage.

The Yokos were the same price as you're saying those Nexen are. If I had to choose between a premium tire from a budget tire company like Nexen and a mid-grade tire from a top tier tire company like Yokohama, then I'd only choose the budget tire if I was saving considerable money.

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Yeah tires can be an interesting beast for sure. Jumped down the rabbit whole on my truck when I was doing research on what tires to get and I assume I will do the same with this car more so when the time comes.
Believe my car was in the middle of a regen this morning on the way to work. Was high idling in gear at about 1k which I had read on a thread means it is in regen. Unfortunately, the drive to work is only 25 miles and it was a bit cooler this morning and the morning commute is down hill so for about 10 of those miles the car isnt even at operating temp.
Is that the only way to know the car is in regen? I could have sworn on some cars they have a regen light come on telling you the vehicle is in regen mode, mostly diesel 2500 trucks if memory serves.
So a couple questions regarding regen. About how long does it last, what are the conditions it requires, how bad for the car is it to shut it off during regen (I have heard of some people saying if they do it a lot it will throw a code), generally how long does it take to finish a regen. I am assuming it will try and do it again on the way home which should be about 2:15 pm PST so it should be warm enough to start up rather quickly, and then it is another 25 mile trip home, hope that is long enough for it to finish.
Will be blacking out the Golf and the TDI badge this Thursday with a kind of spray on vinyl which I was told isn't sticky or tacky like plasti-dip. I will post pics. I also heard back from two of the three tint companys I reached out to. One of them quoted me $259 for all the windows (every window minus the windshield) for Lumar tint, while another quoted me $270 for "Phantom Nano Ceramic Carbon Film". I am pretty sure in the past I have had Lumar but never the latter option, from quick reading online it suggests that it does a better job at blocking the harmful UV rays, but allows more visible light in that its competitors. Anyone know if this is true/have experience with this kinds stuff to shed some light on the situation?;):D

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Ohh and one question regarding the emissions stuff on the car. Before I go pop the hood to see what should say I only have phase 1 of the emissions fix (according to the sales lady that sold me the car) anyone else have a 15 GSW that doesn’t have phase 2 done? From my readings the last of the phase 2 letters should be sent out by June/July this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
If you're waiting for a letter, I don't think you'll be getting one.
Just call Murrieta and give them your VIN to schedule phase 2 because it's been ready and available since last year.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
That is what I had thought. The sales lady said (and yeah trust or don’t trust lol) that phase 2 wasn’t out yet for my car and that I would get notified soon. I suppose I’ll call and set it up but also tell them to have a passenger side tail light ready to be put in as well, this one has some condensation build up when a bit on the colder side. Shown in pic.

Also got the windows tinted today. Was just shy of $240 for Llumar tint on all but the windshield. Limo on the back and 15% on the front sides. Yes I know it’s dark, but in the town I am from it’s about average honestly, if not in the lighter side.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Just looks darker because of the white paint ;)

There are some differences in your settlement terms because of the low mileage and CPO status. I'm not aware of them because I haven't bothered to read terms that don't apply to me, but they should be explained in the pamphlet that's supposed to be in the rest of your car's literature package.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
the head lamps and rear lamps aren't water tight/sealed units so it maybe just from recent rain in the area and will dry out.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
the head lamps and rear lamps aren't water tight/sealed units so it maybe just from recent rain in the area and will dry out.

Okay so if this is semi normal behavior I won’t do anything about it. My truck did it for a while and it’s not like condensation is unheard of in other makers. Thanks for the heads up! I’ll still bring it up to them when I am in the dealer next time to see what they say ;)

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I guess the doors aren't either. I noticed water on the inside of the door thresholds after sitting in the rain all night. Never seen that before on my other vehicles. It's as if the water ran in at the window seals and dripped through the doors, exiting at the bottom onto the thresholds.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Got some of that stuff in a subscription box back when I had one, never used it. Guess I have another thread idea to ask people... Who has a subscription box of some sort for cars?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
There isn't much to subscribe to for our cars, in my opinion.

I get all my maintenance needs from the vendors here and other than that bottle (which has lasted me years), and some optilube (which I probably won't buy again after it's run out), and wear parts there isn't much else to do other than fuel and drive.

Just keeping the vehicle maintained should last well into your family years and beyond. Probably get bored of it before needing replacement, but your kids will get the ole wagon one day. Many of us bought these CR TDIs with an expectation that it will last us the next few decades--some people plan on it being their last car.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
The subscriptions services like many others send you clothes or stickers or stuff like that in addition to say leather wipes or rust prevention spray and stuff like that, or a brochure about a certain car and it’s history. I think it was called gears or something like that, maybe gear box?

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
They were a thought more so when we had some decent rains here where I live. Currently it’s going to enter into the dryer part and this car didn’t throw mud or dirt like my truck did. If I go that route I will for sure take a look at the ones you referenced.

I looked at the badge skins and i want the pure black look on the Golf and the TDI part. But I did see some products I did like on the page like the cover for the front tiny window, as well as the covers for the factory badges.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Ordered weather tech mats for the car. Seeing to as I had it for a week I could see that for the driver side foot area, I tend to drop dirt/mud somehow in a corner of the tdi mat that is marginally covered at best. Right under the dead pedal/foot rest spot. So I suppose if anyone local is looking for factory TDI floor mats hit me up. Once these weather tech ones come in and I slip em in there, I have no need for the TDI ones. With the weather tech liners it should cover that much better and also protect the carpet much better on all the sides. Ordered the black ones in color for front and rear row, as well as 2 all black license plate frames for and additional $12 bucks. I was not able to justify the cargo mat as so far I have just put duffle bags and my umbrella in the boot.

Side note: STILL LOVING THIS CAR! And the fender audio system is a pleasant upgrade from the trucks stock base level stereo system!!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh man, the cargo mat is awesome. I just remembered I have an extra one LOL

Not trying to sell it to you but it is awesome. We use ours all the time. There are little barriers that velcro to them, which I should have as well. Even loading it up with duffel bags and diaper bags and food carriers, it keeps things from falling over. The other day I picked up a sewer snake and put the blocks around the wheels so it wouldn't tip over even though it was the only thing back there. I could have strapped it down, but I didn't have to.

I also have the privacy screen that slides across the top in the back, which I'm assuming you already have it. I'll be swinging through Murrieta on the 4th to pick something up on my way to LA. I already sold my VCDS cable, though, so if you want to do any stuff with my wifi one I'd need to charge you a small fee to add the VIN, unfortunately it's limited.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I still can’t think of anything I’ll need for the VCDS for honestly. Thank you again so much for offering! My car did not come with the privacy screen/tonneau cover I think it was called on amazon, but with the windows tinted I dont much need one now in my opinion. I had at first wanted one, but don’t think I need it now, that and it’s just something I can’t justify if you can’t see in anyways.

My car as the factory VW storage Velcroable store thing or whatever they call it, just not a rubberized weather tech one. I was thinking about getting the blocks, but honestly don’t think I need to spend the $45 bucks. I don’t have an issue with a duffle back moving around much. The bag I keep back there all the time is rather heavy as it has a 20ft tow strap, jumper cables, a jumper pack, tie downs, soft shackles among a couple other items if I or anyone else gets stuck and I gotta go full blown diesel and pull a stuck something out lol. The gym bag doesn’t move around too much for whatever reason either even though it’s pretty lightweight.

Maybe I’m whipping this car around corners like I should? It is a Golf after all!! Honestly I am cruising with this thing so far. Only floored it probably 2-3 times since I got it, either passing or just giving it the beans. I used to bang through gears on my E36 328i manual bmw that I had for a few years... that was a fun car in a lot of ways, and had a lot left on the table when I sold it.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh yeah, I was talking about the mat you already have. I don't know about the rubberized one. I'll look around and see if I can find the spare set of blocks. Who were you dealing with at Murrieta? I always dealt with LeeAnn. Personally, I'd call up and ask if there's anything they'd do for your CPO that has the mat but missing the blocks that usually come with the mat :)

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Not a bad plan.. I am mounting a list of stuff to ask when I go in there. The sales lady was Kailey. Final paper guy was Matt Crook. Ironic last name lol. Doesn’t get to ask, could also ask them about the iPhone connector I was promise but forgot to ask about before I left. As it was it was after hours when I left lol. One of their guys had called the next morning to make sure it was all going well. That’s pretty good customer service to me

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Their dealer network provides an unlimited powertrain warranty with the purchase of the vehicle, but my understanding is the diesel gate CPO's have an unlimited warranty of their own (not the entire powertrain).

Did they provide you with documentation regarding their network branded unlimited powertrain warranty? I'm just curious if they give that with their CPOs.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
It has a 2 year unlimited mile warranty bumper to bumper due to being a CPO dieselgate car. About the utter specifics I do not know. There was some sort of info booklet they gave me, but I don’t have it with me as I am at work!

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Couple questions guys. Seems to be pretty simple stuff.

What kind of pads and rotors do you guys use on your TDIs/wagons? My dad works for Federal Mogul, so I can at times get some free parts, but this time I may look to go with a different brand. I have a friend up in PA that recommends Power Stop kits. He is running their Z26 kit on his 2012 GLI and likes it a good bit. Now I don't need the super sporty one, so I would likely be looking at their Z23 Evolution kit. Autoanything has the front and rear packaged together with drilled and slotted rotors with their carbon-fiber ceramic pads for $250. Thoughts/recommendations? Reason I am looking around already for these are that one or two of the current rotors are warped (believed to be the right rear) and I like to make my decisions ahead of time to save myself the trouble of digging later, as well as letting me budget way in advance.

Secondly, I have been looking at IDparts, and am planing on doing the 20k service at 60k mark (which is about 3.5k miles from now) to jump back on the service intervals to make it easier for the future. Do I need to select the CRUA engine for the GSW TDI, or the MK6 Jetta EA288 CVCA engine? I have a MK7 Golf so I would assume the CRUA option, but I had heard that I have the EA288 engine from my reading... Also, do you guys use the base oil they offer in that kit or do you recommend I upgrade to something else? Opinions/recommendations are welcomed.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
You have a CRUA engine (it is an EA288) and I use the base oil.

Since they did a full service on it at 56K, you don't need a 20K service. Just get a 10K service at 70K and a 40K w/ DSG at 80K and you'll be right on track. It's not going to hurt anything to run a few extra thousand miles on the oil and filters that were just put in 500 miles ago.

I don't have any recommendations for pads or rotors because I've actually never changed mine out on my 2012 JSW with 130K and this 2015 GSW with 75K. I changed my beetle's out once at 185K (it's at 225K). The stock pads and rotors seem to last people a really long time. I don't think you should need to be thinking about pads and rotors on a CPO this soon. That's one of the benefits of paying that extra cost. I'd be complaining if I had to replace anything on a CPO right away.

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Crua
I use Pentosin.
Get the pads and rotors that IDParts sell. The oem ones are amazing TRW. I checked mine last week at 55k and they show near zero wear. The fact that yours are warped is odd to me. Most of the time you dont see that on this forum. Most factory pads and rotors last a long long time. 150-200k

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
From what I can tell it was a full service minus the fuel filter which I know is every 20k... so if I already have to get under the car to do a fuel filter and tire rotation I might as well do an oil change in my eyes lol.

I will double check when I get off of work, but I am pretty sure they didn’t do it. Pretty much everything but that actually.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
If that is true about the brakes I will for sure be going in to see what they say. It was not noticed on the test drive or even the drive home. It seems to be from a higher speed when you are hardly pressing the brake when you get the pulsing.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Fuel filter is changed from the top. If they didn't do the fuel filter, then you'll need to get one but it isn't near the oil change area. You're just wasting oil, filter, money, and time if you change the oil at 4K.

In my experience, rotors warping is usually caused by someone over-torquing the lug bolts. It's important to use a torque wrench when messing around with the wheels for that very reason.

Your description could also be wheel imbalance--or those crappy tires.