Help! A simple job turned ugly...

xdrift0rx

TDI
1998 Jetta,1987 RX7
Okay so I needed to get off the fuel stop solenoid since it was giving me an error in the vag com. I went out and got a 24mm wrench. Well it ended up rounding off...so we continued to remove pieces to get better access to it and try and get some big pliers in there...So I eventually said why don't we just take off this cast iron looking piece? So we keep pulling apart and then we slide the cast iron out slowly....sweet! now we have plenty of room...I keep pulling...and the injection pump puked out its guts. I knew right then and there I was F%(*ED.

So...I got the solenoid off...and saw inside the pump there were rolly things...springs...etc....I know I need to pop the pump off (so now I need to re-time the engine). Can I safely re-assemble this thing? Are there any step-by step guides? I did come across This link here but I could tell it wasnt the same top as ours. What is my best bet? I would much rather rebuild this thing myself if possible...the money is much needed for other things...

Please help!

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
Okay so I needed to get off the fuel stop solenoid since it was giving me an error in the vag com. I went out and got a 24mm wrench. Well it ended up rounding off...so we continued to remove pieces to get better access to it and try and get some big pliers in there...So I eventually said why don't we just take off this cast iron looking piece? So we keep pulling apart and then we slide the cast iron out slowly....sweet! now we have plenty of room...I keep pulling...and the injection pump puked out its guts. I knew right then and there I was F%(*ED.

So...I got the solenoid off...and saw inside the pump there were rolly things...springs...etc....I know I need to pop the pump off (so now I need to re-time the engine). Can I safely re-assemble this thing? Are there any step-by step guides? I did come across This link here but I could tell it wasnt the same top as ours. What is my best bet? I would much rather rebuild this thing myself if possible...the money is much needed for other things...

Please help!
Cool. Tooefed your IP.

Your best bet is to take the pump off the car, put all the pieces in a box and send it to DFIS in Portland.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Cool. Tooefed your IP.

Your best bet is to take the pump off the car, put all the pieces in a box and send it to DFIS in Portland.
Toofed...I just love that term. :)

Yep, nothing you can do from here, it will now need a professional rebuild.

Your best bet is to source a used one from someone since DFIS will cost you for $700-$800 for a reassembly and rebuild. But if DFIS does it, it'll at least it'll be like new.

Sorry for your loss.

If you are looking for a new one, DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, buy anything from a guy named Prothe, or Rothernbacher Engineering, or Pete Rothenbacher. Do a search on here and you will find out why. He has a number of different websites as well, so make sure if you are going to buy a new pump, that you know who you're buying it from. When in doubt, definitely check back here and we'll give you some help.

Your car is not listed, but I see you posted in the A3/B4 section, so I am assuming you have one? Someone on here may have a used one they are willing to sell fairly cheap. I have one but am asking $350 for it plus shipping, it has 144K on it. For less than that, I'll just hang onto it. I am not looking to sell mine to you, just giving you an idea as to their worth used. Some will sell them for a little less.

Last edited:

xdrift0rx

TDI
1998 Jetta,1987 RX7
yes it is a 98 A3 with an AHU engine.

Abacus. If there is nothing wrong with your pump I would be interested in purchasing it from you. I need minimal downtime and $350 sounds a lot better then $800!

xdrift0rx

TDI
1998 Jetta,1987 RX7
How much could I get for the pump in its current state? $150? $200? Maybe I can offset the cost by reselling this current one..

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
how many miles on your "dis-assembled" pump?

might be worth it to get it rebuilt since it's in pieces anyways.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Didn't see your link. My link is from my bookmarks. Sorry if it's the same as yours. I was just trying to help the poor guy.:cool:

Not at all, I was joking because your link is better than mine lol, like in poker? You raised me so I quit?

I've bookmarked the link you put up

Baron VonZeppelin

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 81 VW Truck TiDi, 85 Jetta TiDi
...and the injection pump puked out its guts.
I knew right then and there I was F%(*ED.
Are you in Wilmington North Carolina , or Wilmington Somewhere-else ?

Bosch shop in Greensboro NC would re-assemble for about $150-200, with Inj Pump in-hand.
So check www.bosch.com and go to link for LOCATIONS.
Find nearest location and call for a quote.

BTW .... i think you have earned top honors in dumbest Inj Pump goof up.
lol
Sorry it happened man.

xdrift0rx

TDI
1998 Jetta,1987 RX7
Thank you for the links everyone! The car itself has around 265k miles on it. It was previously owned by a diesel mechanic though. The car hasn't given me any issues in the 6 months I've owned it except for the n75 valve, and now the fuel cut-off solenoid.

Baron, I am located in Wilmington, Delaware. 150-200$ for reassembly sounds good.

My other car is an RX7 so I'm not too sure how this fancy piston engines work ;). Just kidding. In all seriousness this is my first diesel and I did not expect that to happen!

edit: is this the right DFIS page? http://www.dfispdx.com/contact.html There arent any phone numbers to call! and their submit a message thing is broken.

Last edited:

beetle1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 mini cooper s ,2014 ram 2500 6.7,64 galaxies,
I have a used one off a 2001 stick worked when pulled $175+ shipping

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
The DFIS website really needs help. Go to the "about" page. They have all of these links to what people have said about DFIS and it's like they searched for "DFIS" and just grabbed the first post they found for various people. And to show they don't really know uch about websites, they picked one of my posts as well. ***???

But just because they can't build a good website doesn't mean that they can't build a pump.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
If you do it yourself, keep in mind:

You'll need a seal kit. The existing ones are too old and hard to reuse.

After you get it back together it will require the hammer mod to get the IQ adjusted.

The solenoid was probably ok. I would bet on an wiring problem. VCDS can't detect a nonfunctioning solenoid, only an electrical fault. An internal short or open would be flagged but a bad external wire is far more likely.

It could have been checked out without removing it. Don't mean to kick you when you're down, might help the next guy.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I had to grind the snot out of a 24mm socket to remove the fuel shut off solenoid on my car. Then I had to use vise grips on the socket. It came off but it took a good amount of effort to avoid tooefing it.

xdrift0rx

TDI
1998 Jetta,1987 RX7
How HARD would you say it is to reassemble the pump? My biggest worry is making sure all the timing stuff is right. I have plenty of tools to get the job done. I don't mind sending it out, but if I can save some money I'd prefer to do it myself.

Edit:

I came across the website www.injection-pump.com and figured I would try this myself before sending it out. I picked out a seal kit with triangle bolt for 23$ a timing belt kit with locking tools for 75$ and a replacement belt tensioner because its been squeaking for 34$. Total comes to $141 with shipping.

Is it worth trying to do this myself? The link gmenouous included seemed to be the ticket I needed to get this done. I'd much rather be putting this money towards my turbo build for the RX7.... :)

Last edited:

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
How HARD would you say it is to reassemble the pump? My biggest worry is making sure all the timing stuff is right. I have plenty of tools to get the job done. I don't mind sending it out, but if I can save some money I'd prefer to do it myself.
See the .pdf I posted a link to. I thought it was pretty easy. I put my own pump back together using those instructions. The pump rotates normally with nothing rattling around inside. However I haven't put it back on the car to try it out as I had already installed a used replacement pump by the time I got around to reassembling the original. I'll be due for a timing belt in 500 miles so I could put it back in then, but I may just stick with what's working.

You will need the triangular socket to take off the quantity adjuster.

Greg

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Edit:

I came across the website www.injection-pump.com and figured I would try this myself before sending it out. I picked out a seal kit with triangle bolt for 23$ a timing belt kit with locking tools for 75$ and a replacement belt tensioner because its been squeaking for 34$. Total comes to $141 with shipping.
Many people here have had not just bad luck, but horrible luck with the stuff sold from that site. Others have had great luck because they are the guys that fix the stuff that breaks when someone gets garbage parts from that site, or others by Prothe.

xdrift0rx

TDI
1998 Jetta,1987 RX7
Well...I'm gonna be pulling the injection pump tonight. is there any marks i need to make to make sure when i put the pulley back on it is in the correct spot?

Baron VonZeppelin

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 81 VW Truck TiDi, 85 Jetta TiDi
Get all the parameters set to #1 TDC and locked - as if you were doing a timing belt job. Can't remember if mk3 has snout-to-timing cover backing plate index marks on snout and plate like the mk1 and mk2 off hand - but paint dobs could be made to mark orientation - on snout and backing plate.

Break the cam sprocket bolt loose - will come in handy to do it now instead of waiting until you re-install the belt.

Break the Inj Pump sprocket nut loose - probably will need a puller for removing the sprocket. Should be an index mark on outer lip of pump sprocket at about 12 o'clock. Sprocket and shaft are keyed.
Make note or drawing of keyway orientation location on shaft.
Should be about 10 o'clock.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
a replacement belt tensioner
*This* I would pitch out asap and replace it with a proper OEM tensioner...very bad things happen if it fails...and if you search for "Prothe" you'll read about a lot of fail.

The triangular bolt socket and timing belt locking tools will be fine... and the seals can but leak. :)

xdrift0rx

TDI
1998 Jetta,1987 RX7
Okay so I followed the myturbodiesel.com instructions for removing the timing belt, and then took the injection pump out, followed the diesel-forumas.lt guide to the tee and got it all back together. i assembled it and wiped all the parts down in fresh diesel as a lubricant during assembly. I got the pump back in, the key in place and then locked it into place with the injection pump lock tool. I got the new timing belt on and made sure the crankshaft was aligned where the flywheel is location, made sure the camshaft was locked also and put the belt on. I didnt get a tensioner tool from metalnerd...so I'm trying to find someone local who has one I can borrow.

Once I get the tensioner tight I think its a matter of simple assembly. The diesel-forumas.lt guide was excellent and should be a sticky or something!

Anyone in the delaware tristate area? I'd be willing to drive half hour to an hour to borrow the tensioner tool...

Thanks for your help everybody! cant wait to have my jetta back on the road!