2005 passat TDI running rough

captaindlowe

TDI
Passat 2005
i recently purchased a used 05 Passat TDI which after 4-5000 miles of beautiful performance has suddenly started running poorly as if it has jumped timing(possibly running on 2 cylinders). I immeadiately changed the fuel filter to no avail. When I drove the car it would run fine and when it started acting up if I turned the key off and restarted the car it would run fine again , sometimes running for several minutes and sometimes longer. I read the thread about the wiring harness being chaffed through and thought that closely resembled my problem. I have since brought the car to the VW dealer and they said it sounded like a fuel pump. I asked about the wiring harness so he said he would check it out...to make a long story short he replaced the wiring harness $575 and we thought the problem was solved .2 days later the problem is back.Any suguestions would be very helpful. Could it be a fuel pump and if so why the intermentency? any thoughts on the matter would be very helpful
thanks Capt D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The fact that the problem re-sets by turning the engine computer off and back on (which is all the key-off and restart really does) the problems are almost assuredly identified as a saved code in the engine computer's memory.
Have the codes scanned, preferably with a VW specific scanner, but even a autoparts store's free scan can get the code numbers that can be translated into clues that make sense in a diesel. (Generic readers sometimes mislead with gasser 'cures' instead of diesel specific remedies).

captaindlowe

TDI
Passat 2005
Back to Dealer

Borrowed code reader from brother and codes were as follows: P0266 Cylinder 2, P0263 Cyl 1, P0272 Cyl 4 and P0269 Cyl 3 Contribution/Balance. I have since brought the car back to the dealer and they pulled the fuel pump from the tank. They called me to come look at it which it was black (sooty) on the plastic housing and they said it needed to be replaced $345 + labor and that fuel tank needed through cleaning and all fuel lines purged. Anyhow, waiting on estimate now. I hope this solves my problems and thanks for the reply. I will keep u posted.

captaindlowe

TDI
Passat 2005
Problem gone , Problem back

Two tanks of fuel and the car ran fine . Filled it up today and problem is back. It runs fine for a while then acts like it's running on half cylinders. I can put the car in neutral and shut it off then restart while still moving and it runs fine for mile or so then runs poorly again. 10 miiles home and had to restart about 10 -12 times. When I first restart it runs perfect. It seems like its electrical or possibly computer related.? Any help would be greatly appreciated...:confused:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I say a camshaft/lifter inspection may be in order. Verify that the intank fuel pump works. Is the fuel filter clean?

--Nate

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
How many miles on the Passat? I would first inspect the main wiring harness for the injectors. On my A4 its the round harness on the left side of the cylinder head, but I have no idea where the B5 would be.

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
usually the harness causes a misfire error, unless it's the ground cable on the big round connector itself. that will cause all injectors to act up.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'd pull the valve cover and inspect the cam and lifters BEFORE you send the car back to the dealer for any more repairs.

Unfortunately there aren't any trusted TDI mechanics in the Miami area and it sounds like the car is running too poorly to take it on a road trip to someone who can properly diagnose it.

captaindlowe

TDI
Passat 2005
The problem is intermitent which leads me to believe that its not cam or lifters They did not replace the intank fuel pump because they said it was working fine. Does anyone know if the in tank fuel pump runs all the time? They cleaned the fuel tank and fuel lines and injectors at the dealer ($900) so i'm really not interested in bringing it back to them and I don't know any diesel mechanics that I trust. I'm going to look into that 109 relay(601) but I don't know what it does either. Any suggestions will help.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The lift pump runs whenever the engine is running and for two seconds after the key is turned on if the engine does not start.

--Nate